Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean

Hester

I was in a bookstore today, and this caught my eye:

0316013730.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS500_.jpg

... so I bought a copy.

Not sure if I'm going to read it right away, or tuck it away for light summer reading.

Love the bat-wing "sails"!

Although... I would prefer something in this vein that was intended for a more mature audience.

Can anyone recommend some pirate-themed sci-fi or fantasy novels for adults?

And in the meantime ... has anyone else read Vampirates? Did you enjoy it?

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've got both Demons of the Ocean (albeit in the far less pretty UK cover *sulks*) and Tide of Terror (part 2, also in the UK cover, no doubt less pretty than the US one too).

I actually quite like the books for some light reading :)

Tide of Terror is much better than Demons of the Ocean in my opinion.

QUOTE=Hester,Apr 11 2007, 04:27 PM]

Although... I would prefer something in this vein...

Serious vampire pun alert!!!!

:unsure:

Serious vampire alert:

lestat-blue-silk-crop.jpg

Stuart Townsend as Lestat for the win!

(sorry, but I really LOVE Queen of the Damned, it's one of my all time favorite vampire movies EVER)

• 3 weeks later...

But Vampires... running water... urg!

Even if you're not going Black Court... er I mean Dracula mythos Vamps... last I checked ships sailed on a big light reflecting surface. No guarantee of not poofing into ashes...

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

In Bram Stoker's classic novel, Dracula sailed from the port of Varna in Bulgaria to Whitby, Yorkshire, aboard a ship. He slept the days away hidden in a coffin in the cargo hold, amid boxes of his native earth, and he preyed upon the ship's crew at night:

http://www.online-literature.com/stoker/dracula/7/

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Well yes. I have read Dracula. But unless a ship is carrying a huge load of food type people... he'd have to have a ghoul to feed from. But still Dracula is one of a few vampires that has to sleep in a coffin and native earth. And what's to prevent the pirate ship being attacked and the coffin exposed to sunlight?

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Well yes. I have read Dracula. But unless a ship is carrying a huge load of food type people... he'd have to have a ghoul to feed from. But still Dracula is one of a few vampires that has to sleep in a coffin and native earth. And what's to prevent the pirate ship being attacked and the coffin exposed to sunlight?

If you actually read the Vampirate books, you'll know what the crew of the Nocturne (the vampire ship) has sorted out to get their food.

I don't want to post it here, because it would be a major spoiler.

I recently found these books online while researching supernatural beings. You have peaked my curiosity HildeKitten so I guess I am now gonna have to go and buy the books. It has been a long time since I enjoyed a light read. I am always interested in diffrent mythos concerning vampires and supernatural beings..

Thanks again.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

I recently found these books online while researching supernatural beings. You have peaked my curiosity HildeKitten so I guess I am now gonna have to go and buy the books. It has been a long time since I enjoyed a light read. I am always interested in diffrent mythos concerning vampires and supernatural beings..

Thanks again.

You're welcome BriarRose, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do :)