Great deal

Coastie04

I found this on gunbroker.com and thought some of you might be interested. It's caplock, but that's probably better than flintlock for shipboard use. It looks to be a great deal for reinactors. Unfortunately, I'm unable to purchase it right now, so I thought one of you might.

Pistol

ckunkle_1068409623_Black_powder_pistol_A.JPG

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Yeah the cap n' ball ones are more reliable, which is why some reenactors I know like to use them, as having a misfire occur in front of an audience sucks, LOL B) I wonder what kind of shape the gun is in if it was never used for 30 years though. Thats a long time for no maintenance. But I guess you could have it checked out by a gunsmith. Pedersoli is a good brand. That's what we have, different models.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Aye, 'tis a beautiful piece; but flintlock's more period. Also, caplock always seemed to be "unfinished" to me: you've got the powder, bullet, cap: why not just stick all the components together in a holder? :huh:

Great idea! Just took 'em another half century to do it! :lol:

Flintlock, though, is so "otherwise": something primal about the idea of a rock in a pair of metal jaws, throwing a shower of sparks into a pan of loose powder.

:)

Capt. William

P.S. Thanks fer the "gunbroker.com" tip.

CW

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I'm not sure about this particular piece, but I do know that some caplocks can be converted into flintlocks. My dad has a few rifles of that can be converted either way.

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Converting depends on the piece. Needs a lock and breech changeover. Lock is no problem, just loosen the sidenails. Changing the breech can be a stone b***h! If a weapon is specifically designed for it, it's OK. If it's a conversion, without the neccesary parts, then it's a gunsmith job unless you know your way around an armourer's bench.

Earliest caplocks show up around 1810 or so. At that point though, they were extremely finicky and bloody expensive. It's 1830 before they become widely available and useable by the masses. Even then they were very expensive. Flintlocks remained in common use until the ACW and even beyond. Unless you are doing a mid 19th C impression the caplock is a questionable purchase.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Most interesting how long the flintlock survived, despite the many improvements (maybe not!) in firearms ignition.

Anyone heard of Hacker Martin? He was a country boy, an Appalachin gunsmith, who was making flintlocks for sale to his neighbors as recently as the 1970's. Most interestingly, these people don't appear to have been reenactors or deliberate anachronists, like us. They hunted deer and squirrels for their daily bread, but many of them had been brought up using flintlocks and, for whatever reason, actually preferred the old smokepoles to those new-fangled cartridge guns.

I find the whole topic fascinatin' - "flintlock sociology", I calls it.

Anyone else familiar with this phenomenon, or with Hacker Martin?

:blink:

Capt. William

• 3 weeks later...

There be a few states where "blackpowder" season is limited to flintlock shooters I believe. Pennsylvania may be one of em. Anybody know?

:ph34r:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Zorq, I was told by my half-brother who lives on a farm in Pennsylvania and is an avid deer hunter - gun, bow, and black powder - that yes, this is true: the Keystone State's muzzleloading season is indeed restricted to flintlocks.

Capt. William

Hacker Martin may have been one of the original

gun makers that helped bring about the gun making renissiance

in the early to mid 70's. There were a couple of these guys featured

in one of the Foxfire books. Hershal House is also one of the early

gun makers who I believe, apprenticed with one of these guys,

His rifles now command premium prices!

These early craftsmen helped revive custom firelock making,

turning it from a nearly lost art to a cottage industry.

Cheers

Redhand