French pirate (corsaire) costume

Matusalem

I have finally decided that I am going to put together a major costume, that will take several months to put together. The costume is going to be of french corsaires and filbustiers around the time of GAOP,

Basically, here's René Duguay-Trouin (1673-1736), with a Gherkin style justacourps coat, breatplate, bucket boots, and an ornate baldric, which I assume is leather with gold trim?

Duguay-trouin-X.jpg

And here's François Mahé Le Burdonnais (1699-1753), I can't tell if in one picture if his coat is velvet or other material:

bourdonnais_4X.jpgbourdonnais-2X.jpg

[Jaques Gouin de Beauchesne (1652-1730) was actually a privateer and explorer, and sadly to my personal behest, I can't find any pictures.

Any feedback is most appreciated.

SHIP2-1.jpg

EVERYBODY KNOWS- that there were NEVER any pirates who wore bucket boots  

Callenish Gunner, will this satisfy ye?

duguaytrouin.jpg

William, The way above illustration in question is by Obra de Chasselai. Museu Histórico Nacional / Rio....I have no idea of the date, or whether it is historically accurate, I must confess.

SHIP2-1.jpg

No problem, matey! :lol:

But the issue regarding bucket boots, esp. with french pirates keeps getting more murkier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Janbart.jpg

I would suspect that the artists who make these statues have never met, let alone seen these men,. But Hollywood depictions aside, how is it possible for artists (even in the 17th/18th/19th centuries) to depict bucket boots in portraits & statues? Is this a case of them not doing their homework?

SHIP2-1.jpg