The Denis Sullivan

Bilgemunky

So I've started me training aboard the great lakes schooner, The Denis Sullivan. In eight short weeks I'll be fully qualified to swab decks and mend sails aboard this mighty freshwater vessel.

Actually, as someone who's lived on or near the ocean for most 'is life, I've always been a little hesitant to give much respect to something so "tiny" as a lake. Gimme the salt air and giant squids. Still, some of my prejudices have been squelched - For example, I now know that if a ship sinks in the middle of Lake Michigan, it is NOT possible to simply roll up your pant legs and walk to shore :P

'Ere's a pic of the Sullivan:

pic9.jpg

I AM BILGEMUNKY

She's got an interesting fore tops'l there. Any reason for the cut out of center of the foot of it? It looks like the last ship she encountered was armed proper.

Coastie04

"Snow?!? In April???"

-Random Cadet from the south

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I don't know the answer for sure, but in my oh-so-expert opinion :P I'd offer that p'haps if there weren't a hole, some of the jibs (those sails on the bow) might rub up against the raffee (the big one with the hole) ? That's how it looks to me, anyways.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

can you tell us the circumstances which have led you to this position? she's a right pretty girl,even if she has a man's name :huh: while I'm on the subject,who is she named for? don't recall ever hearing the name before.

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

can you tell us the circumstances which have led you to this position?

Ah, that is a sordid tale, full of conspiracy and intrigue. It all began on an unusually stormy night when I discovered a cursed aztec coin amongst my loose change...

Actually, it's part of a pretty neat program they have going on here in Milwaukee. Some folks around here decided a few years ago that the nautical heritage of the Great Lakes was getting lost (so much focus being on the seas&oceans.) They raised up some cash and hired various artisans and historians to build a re-creation of a Great Lakes schooner (which, while perfectly ocean-worthy, varies from your traditional gloucester schooner in several tiny ways.) Now that the ship's completed, they take tourists and school kids out for recreational and educational excursions. They have a professional crew of 6, supplimented by 2 volunteer crewmen (each with a week-long shift.)

The schooner is owned by Pier Wisconsin, who are currently in the middle of some local controversy due to the design and location of a freshwater museum they're going to build - I was reading up on the story when I learned about the Denis Sullivan and signed up for the class.

As to the name, Denis Sullivan was a Great Lakes captain in the late 1800s, and the schooner is largely disigned after his own ship, the Moonlight. It also didn't hurt that his grandson was on the team building the thing, either :huh:

I AM BILGEMUNKY

thanks for the info-you are right lucky to have such a great opportunity close to home.

I hope you will tell us all about your experiences-would love to hear any and all of what you do and see.

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Many can have such an opportunity. There are many tall ships out there looking fer volunteer crew. It does help if you live near one of our coasts -- the Pacific, Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico, for that's where most of the ships reside.

If ya go to the NQG Port's O'Call page,

http://noquartergiven.net/ports.htm

and scroll down to the "Tall Ships" section, you'll see links to many of the ships out there. Many of them welcome volunteer crew. Some give details about volunteers on their websites. If ya (or anyone else) tell me where yer anchored at now, I might be able to direct you to a ship nearby. Even if yer not on the coast, as Bilgemunky tells, there's even tall ships on the Great Lakes (another beautiful one that plies the Great Lakes is the Brig Niagara, homeported in Erie, PA).

Some ships might charge trainees a modest fee until yer up and running and pullin' yer own weight, others do not.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Never spit to windward!"

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven