Fort Zachary Taylor update for PIP 2007

William Brand

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste.... If those guns were kept up?????

Actually my idea was to have the audience on the ramparts, along with as many defenders as possible (Remember the redcoat discussion Captain??)....Then as the casualties start growing, the casualties are actually changing into their raider's gear. Then when the signal is given...(the attackers on land are beaten back and the defenders hoot and hollar. Which will make the crowd applaud, thinking it's all over... Gues again!!)

A door swings open, a large volley suddenly goes off, and the galvanized attackers can make a fight on the wall with boomers then blades until.... what ever!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I can only imagine the deafening roar of a boom stick that big. Wow!

Didn't know those were up there - will have to journey up to that side this year.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

(Remember the redcoat discussion Captain??)....

Other than outfitting a few... fraid not... email me again with the discussion off the pub... thank you.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I spoke with Harry Smid over a week ago and we discussed the use of the fort's blacksmith shop. The forge is located just outside of the fort proper on the little rise of a hill between the fort and the restrooms. It is an open pavilion with the forge at one end. Harry will be supplying coal and some steel for the festival, so the forge will be active.

Harry has agreed to let Jonah Greene, aka Captain Midnight, to set up his Greene Knight Forge there for the event. Mister Greene will be making flint strikers and other small sundries, so stop by the shop while you are there. We are very excited that the ring of the anvil will be heard during the festival. The added atmosphere of a little coal smoke and the report of the hammer will be a welcome addition.

Anyone wishing to learn a little smithy work, or anyone with broad blacksmithing experience who would like to work at the forge, please send me a PM. We would gladly have a few more lads and lasses at the forge.

Here are a few pictures of the forge as it is now.

DSCN9847.jpg

DSCN9846.jpg

DSCN9845.jpg

DSCN9844.jpg

DSCN9842.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

That is a very exciting addition to the grounds and the festival... Looking forward to the ringing of an anvil on the ground and it will really draw the attention of visitors to the park.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

The blacksmith shop is so well situated between the main gate, the restrooms, the parking lots and the entrance to the fort proper, that it is bound to be a great social venue for pirates, redcoats and the general public. I'm very excited that we get to use it this year. I'm hoping over time that we can even improve the blacksmith shop by adding the various little 'extras' you would see in a large, working forge. Cooper tools, hoops, some furnishings, period lanterns, tools and craftsman. Time is short this year, but next year we might see a period bellows.

New additions requested for the site map???

1.) Spectator staging for battlements?

2.) Defenders location on battlements?

3.) Blacksmith shop??

Where on the map and how do folks get up to the battlements?? Enclosed stairs? ;) Rickety ladder? ;)

And as far as the desecrated guns are concerned... I almost don't want to see them now... still a shame!

sig2.jpg

I'll add that to the map when I confirm a few other things with Harry tomorrow. As for the ramparts, they are reached by a circular stair near the Pub.

f3003d7e.jpg

There is an archway in the upper right hand corner of the picture below. that is the entrance to the stairs leading from the parade grounds up to the ramparts.

bcda3c46.jpg

Perfect!!! I figured there would be a safe way to climb to the ramparts...

Now while on the ramparts, did I notice a safety fence up there to avoid nasty falls, while taking a fall??

sig2.jpg

The inside of the Fort has Safty fences..... hey... they gotta take care of the idiots.....(whoops.... that wasn't nice to say.....)

As reenactors.... we only gots to take care of our own...... (well and keep the public safe.....)

But we do that already........

Battles .... Black Powder... Sword Fightin'...... we can keep it safe (we'll discuss how to keep it safe here....so when we get to the Fort.... we gots most o' it figured out).................dang....... COOL.......

Guns and LARGE BOOMS........ in Key West..... (Even without the Bud Girls) Dang...... How much more fun can ye ask fer...........?

Here is what I was really looking to verify. Thanks Mary my dear!

battlements.jpg

I see there is a fence to keep folks away from the edge... And it appears easy enough to rope off a safe area for fighting on the ramparts!!

Excellent! This makes planning that much easier, well in advance!

Patrick, do you have a blade to work with???

sig2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was a member of the less well known Danish Inquisition.

Updates...

Harry has purchased coal for the event, and from what I understand, we'll have plenty and then some. I asked him to photograph the available tools for the forge, i.e., hammers, tongs, etc. He promised to take a picture of them soon so that we may evaluate what the forge needs.

Also, he is currently trying to arrange a sponsor for shuttle busses to bring people and pirates to and from the fort. More to follow on that as it develops.

And last, but not least, they will be having the pig roast at the fort again this year which will take place on Sunday. The pig will be set off with gun powder as before. Cost for the meal at the fort will be $5.00 a head. You don't want to miss this.

Need the money be sent in ahead of time or will payment "at the door" suffice?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

If we only get half th' people that say they are goinna be thar show up......

Dang.... it's still going ter be so frickin' cool..............

and if ye be thinkin' but it...... tyme ter come forward an sign th' articules (dang... I miss-spelled that.....)

(Sorry... not goinna count it all out.(th' days untill PiP)..... but it is getting close.......)

DANG..... Pip is goinna be so much fun this year.........

Yah wanna be a Pyrate... or yer wanna Play Pyrate..... lacking a ship...... this be th' next bestest and the grandist thing wot ye can do................

Yar.......................(Dang.... I don't do "yar' very well.... I like a good lusty aaaaaaargh so much better.....)

:lol:

I'll count them ....

OK, it's only like 65 days away now !!!

I can hardly wait !

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)