Mozilla Firefox

Caraccioli

I just received a notification that Firefox wants to update itself and It reminded me that I switched from Windows Explorer to Firefox about 3 months ago after over a year of subtle nagging from a friend of mine. I should have switched that year ago instead of resisting. No more banner ads! Yay! (Sorry if I sound like a advertisement, but it really seems to be every bit as good as Explorer in most ways and significantly better in others.)

My only gripes are that you have to download a bunch of add on programs to make certain things work (like removal of banner ads - which, so far, appears to be almost flawlessly executed) and that certain things just flat don't work. For example, I can't get my UPS label printer to connect properly to our on-line account, so I always have to go back to Explorer for that. Overall, though - a much better experience. Plus I like their Tabs better than Explorer's, although I can't pinpoint exactly why.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Ever since switching to Mozilla (via Mad Jack's advice), been happy ever since. Yup, occasional pop-up windows remind you to download the latest stuff. Unfortunately, the pop-up windows show up at the most inopportune times.... :rolleyes:

But all in all, it's a whole lot better and the hackers can't deal with it. :lol:

I use Netscape..... I like the lay-out, and I'm comfortable with it.....

But if I want to download something... I have to go to Internet Explorer......

(Second Life and the Pirates of the Caribbean Beta game both wouldn't download in Netscaps.... but would in Internet Explorer....drat...)

I don't know if Forefox would work any better ..... So I'll just stay with what I'm use to using....... :lol:

I've never really liked it, mostly because I do a lot of HTML work on the computer and fire fox likes to move things around on me

I've noticed that as well, but being a web developer means you're either stuck working with it or you have to ignore it. Which is the case regardless of what you actually use. Just like Patrick uses Netscape - you have to think about Netscape too! (Heck, some people are probably still using SlipKnot. ("Upgrade?! Never!")

"Am I not?"

(Sorry if I sound like a advertisement, but it really seems to be every bit as good as Explorer in most ways and significantly better in others.)

"Every bit as good" ? then your saying I.E. is good.., so why switch?.., I tried them all..., I find less glitches with I.E. and have stayed with it now quite a while..., My findings are.., Microsoft makes my operating system (Unless you are a MAC user) there fore who would know Microsofts platform better than microsoft to make programs that would better run in there enviroment?.., the answer really is no-one......, Heres to the richest Pirate of all time :lol: LONG LIVE CAPTAIN BILL ;)

:lol: If I.E. is not working right for whatever reason., a person can usually go "Tools" .., "Internet Options" ..., then " Advanced" and trigger whatever switches are necessary for Java or whatever is the issue.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Actually I switched mainly because I've had several mail accounts with mail.com for a long time. In the past three or four years, they developed an affinity for showering users with pop-ups and pop-unders. (Say, what, exactly, is the benefit of a pop-under over a pop-up? I'm just curious...)

I used an IE add-on for awhile to get rid of them, but the pop-up writers always seemed to find a way around the add-on, even with upgrades. This is why my friend recommended Firefox. Now, no pop-ups. So, for me, it's as good as IE, only better because it doesn't crash (so far - something IE used to do to me from time to time without warning ("Send a report to Microsoft?")) and I no longer get multiple pop-ups at mail.com (again, so far). My friend (who works in the field) says this is because Firefox is better written to handle such problems.

"Am I not?"

who would know Microsofts platform better than microsoft to make programs that would better run in there enviroment?

B)

Because half the time Microsoft doesn't even know their own OS well enough to make it work right? Or should we not talk about the fabulous new Vista? B)

So far I like FF's bells and whistles best of all the browsers I've used. I've had a couple of crashes but nothing more than my usual. Now if I could just train myself to call it by the proper name. I keep saying Fox Fire not Fire Fox *duh*.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Back when Windows 2000 came out, the SQL forum discovered a wonderful new bug when trying to use 2000 server with MSSQL 7. If you deleted any of the subscribers (servers the primary server replicates to), the entire system would go belly up. As in you couldn't even restore it - you had to rebuild it from scratch.

Microsoft was completely unaware of this bug until it was brought to their attention by the SQL forum. In the meantime, voice over IP was starting to gain some steam and a lot of the companies that offered it used MSSQL. So there I was, at a Cisco VOIP seminar when they started talking about the platform it ran on. Sure enough, it was on Windows 2000 servers with SQL 7 (SQL2000 was just about to be released.) During the break, I went up to talk to the sales engineer; I told him about this "feature" and he called the rest of the Cisco folks over to hear this. Needless to say, they got rather agitated and immediately got on their phones.

RHJMap.jpg