Sewing question

shadoes

Bloomers (aka harem pants) , two long straight seams, one curved seam and three casing.

No fancy cutting, no difficult fitting, but a usefull finished product.

I was going to say...... a shirt.....

But after thinking about it..... gathering the coller , sleeves and cuffs..... might be a bit much for someone just starting.......

(OK.... so it's not clothing...) But handsewing a haversack or dittybag would be a great beginner's project.... running stitch... whip stitch... and a button hole ( or grommets)..... most of the basics....... any you'd have something usefull....

After you are comfortable with that handsewing, then maybe slops .....

Then a shirt..... when you'r ready to mess with gathering......

I'd suggest going to you local library and finding one of the sewing books....

For hand sewing, there isn't a lot you need to learn to get started.... but the basics are always helpfull......

since you specifically asked for "clothing" & I'm assuming you're thinking something "piratey" (not mundanes in which case I'd say make yourself a pair of lounge pants with a drawstring waist), I'd say go with the shirt.

Yes like Mr. Hand said the neck & sleeves might seem a little daunting but, in a shirt you learn everything you need to know to make just about every other piece of clothing. Attaching a sleeve, pleating to fit into the neck/wists, buttonholes at the wrists & neck, hem at the bottom. And, a shirt can be made to your measurements, which means no pattern to purchase etc.

Plus a shirt is an essential piece of clothing, you will undoubtedly end up with more than one, which is plenty of time to get it perfect. Also so much of a shirt is covered when you're fully dressed (waistcoat, justacorps, neckerchief) that those beginner mistakes will hardly be noticeable.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

There's a sticky at the top of this forum, shadoes, called "Handstitching Basics by Kass". In there, I teach you how to make a simple pincushion using period stitches. If it suits you, please use it.

There are more articles for beginners here:

Reconstructing History for Beginners

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I read thru the sticky but for some reason for me none of the example pictures show up. Not sure why. But I will certainly check it out again. In all likelyhood I will be learning to use a machine. I know from hand sewing leather my hands can;t take much. Left overs from severe Carpel Tunnel.

hmm haversack...good idea..need a new one anyway :)

I guess it all depends on what you are trying to acomplish.

If it is for faire then a pair of pants or wrap pants are easy.

If you are looking to make womens kit then a petticoat or period shift would be easy.

There is a fairly easy pattern in Tidings From the 18th Century by Beth Gilgun. The only sticky part was the gussetts on the shoulder but she walks you through it. And the pattern is designed to effectivly use the fabric. It is also all in squares or rectangles.

Good luck