Pirate Brethren Events

blackjohn

The Pirate Brethren will be attending or hosting the following events in 2007. If you are new to reenacting and want to see us in action, or if you are an old salt and are interested in joining us, or if you just want to see the spectacle, you can find us at:

April 14-15, Marching Through Time, Bowie MD

A 'timeline' type event, with reenactors portraying a variety of periods.

Era - 1690s

Camp - none, supporting Kass' coffeehouse as civilians

Opposing Forces - no

April 26-29, Fort Fred Market Fair, Big Pool MD

The big shopping event of the year!

Era - 1710s

Camp - none

Opposing Forces - n/a

June 2, Pirates at Elk Landing

A band of pirates careening their ship in the Chesapeake Bay is attacked by Crown forces and militia.

Era - 1710s

Camp - Careening, with nearby earthworks, assorted civilians

Opposing Forces - yes

June 16, St Mary's MD Maritime Heritage Festival

Pirates take up residence in Maryland's first capital.

Era - 1690s

Camp - Trading party, with civilians and coffeehouse

Opposing Forces - yes

July 7, Pirates Invade the Lockhouse, Havre de Grace, MD

A group of pirates lands at a port in Maryland, looking to sell their wares, only to find opposition from local law enforcement.

Era - 1710s

Camp - Trading and raiding party with civilians and coffeehouse

Opposing Forces - yes

August 4, Ridley Creek State Park, Media, PA

Having worked their way inland, a merry band of pirates seeks to plunder a settlement.

Era - 1710s

Camp - Raiding party with civilians and coffeehouse

Opposing Forces - yes

September ? MD Ren Faire?

If invited, we will be supporting Merrick's Privateers in a demonstration of pirate firepower.

Era - 1710s

Camp - generic pirate demo

Opposing Forces - no

October 6, Grand Militia Muster, St Marys City, MD

The Pirate Brethren may attend this event as a turn of the century militia unit. Exact details have not been decided.

Era - 1700?

Camp - colonial militia

Opposing Forces - no

November 3-4, Pirates Invade the Lockhouse, Havre de Grace, MD

Pirates openly walk the streets of Philadelphia. The governor of Maryland sends forces to Pennsylvania to intervene.

Era - 1690s

Camp - Trading and raiding party, with civilians and coffeehouse

Opposing Forces - yes

November 30-Dec 2, Reenactor Fest, Gettysburg, PA

The final big shopping event of the season!

Era - 1710s

Camp - none

Opposing Forces - n/a

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

It would be an honor to have you at one of our events. There aren't many women who do what you do, ie, reenact the common woman of the Golden Age. That makes you, imho, worth your weight in gold.

:)

So, if the mood every strikes you... as they say in Bal'mer, the town of my birth, c'mon down Merlind hon.

<_<

My Home on the Web

Wow. I want to play with you guys.

Now I must go out and recruit more pyrates and start more reenacting events in Fl.

There are some pre-1840 trekking/rendesvous events, no real GaOP pyrating ecxept PiP, and we're building that now.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Thanks. And we want both you and William to turn out with us someday. Come visit us, and maybe we'll return the favor!

With all of these events, I just hope people don't get burned out. My RevWar experience is that the more events you have, the more selective people get about turning out to events. But I've a good bunch of reenactors in my group, better than the RevWar group I was in, and they are willing to go out and have fun, so I'm expecting this will be our best year yet.

Actually, I've been working on the '08 calendar, and I'm pretty sure we are going to hit northern Florida next year for Searles' Raid on Saint Augustine!

My Home on the Web

Oi Black John!

Don't be afraid to pass the word about next year either! Some of us have to request off waaaaay in advance and that makes planning that much easier.

Saves begging and groveling with scheduling dpets!!

Here's to ya!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Don't be afraid to pass the word about next year either! Some of us have to request off waaaaay in advance and that makes planning that much easier.

Saves begging and groveling with scheduling dpets!!

Seconded. It is always best to know as far out as possible. We are considering a Spring or early summer trip to one of the East Coast events in 2008.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Good, because I hate having a camera on me when I'm in period attire!

I would say at this point that the Havre de Grace Lockhouse events are a given for the same weekends in 2008. This is our third year for those, and each just seems to get better. I'm hoping the Elk Landing event is a smashing success, but right now it's still an unknown, but I hope we'll be invited back in 2008, only on a different weekend, since the current weekend conflicts with Hampton Blackbeard Festival.

Juggling weekends and creating events is a major undertaking, as it requires me to coordinate between reenactors doing not just Golden Age of Piracy, but English Civil War, French and Indian War, Rev War, 1812, Civil War, and WWII. Fortunately, the Golden Age movement is gaining momentum.

It is worth noting that one potential big event fell through due to a budget crunch in Virginia. We had Rippon Lodge in May. Maybe it will return in 2008.

And I have been informed we ARE invited to provide firepower support at the Maryland Ren Fest. Wooo!

One or two other things may still be lurking out there, though were I could fit them in at this point, I'm not sure (Halloween at Darnells!).

Also, I believe I'm going to be giving a lecture on piracy in the upper Chesapeake Bay at the govt center in Havre de Grace. The date has not yet been determined.

I am also seriously thinking about monthly period card night here at my place. We had planned on starting tonight, but the game of Primero I had planned has been called on account of bad weather.

My Home on the Web

i'm only a few hours drive from you and your events ....just might have to put on m' kit and make a road trip

:huh:   B)   :huh:   :huh:

Great! I would be my honor to meet you sir!

If you are interested in more info, please drop me a line, via the email link here. My PM box needs emptying, so there's a chance PMs might bounce.

I'll also add a caveat here. I want people to come out and see us. Why? A couple of reasons. First, it is fun to put live faces and voices to names and pictures! Second, maybe you'll learn something new about piracy, or maybe teach me something I didn't know! Third, if you are new to this and considering pirate reenacting as a hobby, there is no better way to know what it is like than to see it firsthand.

So, to anyone in the area, come out and see us. And please don't be afraid to come up and say hi! I may be busy, or I may just look busy, but I always have time to stop and say hi, shake a hand, etc!

B)B)B)

My Home on the Web

Can you spectate at these events? If soI will absolutely be at the Elk Landing event since it's five minutes from my house! I don't have an authentic kit, so I'll be in my normal clothes.

Oddly I don't know much about Elk Landing. There are rumors that it's haunted. I could sneak out there with a camera and get you guys some photos if you're interested.

• 2 months later...

Yes, indeed it is! And it sounds as if it's going to be relatively well attended, with many of my group, some of Merrick's Privateers, and the Duke of Albany & York's Maritime Regiment to provide opposing forces!

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The gates open at 10, as I understand it, and close at 2. We'll try to fit at least two battles into that block of time. Maybe some guys will do some swordfighting too.

Hope to see you there.

My Home on the Web

Feeling lazy, so I'm just going to copy what I posted on the Pirate Brethren forum and paste it here... I will add one thing. Kelly aka Rogue Mermaid was there, with her peeps. Always nice to see a friend from here in real life. And here ranger is now 17th level!

:lol:

And now, the report... copied and pasted as promised...

First, let me say thank you to those who turned out! Lisa and the kids. Balls. Dray. Owen. Munk. Adele. And the fine folks of the Baltimore Rangers, with the ever wonderful Art and Janet.

The day was hot, and I am exhausted, but the event was well worth the effort. The site has plenty of great shade trees, with a huge field on which to fight. Nearby is a river. All in all, an excellent choice for a place to have future events.

Our plan of action was the standard "we are pirates from Pennsylvania come to Maryland to stir up trouble." Art and the Rangers waylaid us, looking for our passes, which we had none. Commence the shooting. Two battles in four hours. Not too shabby.

After hours, we staged a few photo ops -- us coming up from the river, standing in marsh, attacking an old stone house. I'll post 'em when I get 'em.

Until then, view Adele's pics at:

http://countessadele.myphotoalbum.com/view...bumName=album15

My Home on the Web

This just runs me through to the bone!

All these great events and I sit on the other coast too far away.

Then ther's a good sounding, free pirate fest, on a water front setting, in town in need of a good plunderin and from the lack of enthusiasm it may be the 1st and the last.

Nice pics! And I'm glad you had fun! Though between you and me, I think we were a bit rusty from sitting on our duffs all winter. But all things considered, I think we did a decent job playing to the crowd.

Here are a few of my pics...

Balls

Camp

Bad captain!

But I think this is my favorite...

Landing party

My Home on the Web

I thought the whole thing was great!

I'm curious, as a spectator, were you able to hear me well enough? I'm always looking for that balance between shouting at the top of my lungs so the crowd can hear me, but keeping it to a reasonable level. So... it's one of those things I always try to be aware of, distance from me to the viewing public, and if I'm audible to them.

My Home on the Web