Fringed embroidered baldrics

Perhaps someone here can be of help.

I am looking for images and detail information on fringed, embroidered baldrics that were used close up to 1700. They are kind of a dressy affair. Photos of existing ones would be a plus of course.

I especially am having trouble trying to find out how they exactly attached to the sword scabbard. I'd like to avoid conjecture, so that I can be as accurate as possible when attempting to construct it.

I've looked through all the postings in Captain Twill and have come up with naught.

I have only found a couple illustrations in one of my books, but it just does not show the details enough to show how it was constructed and attached to the scabbard.

Any assistance you can offer is much appreciated.

-Tar Bucket Bill

I'm still trying to picture exactly what you are talking about. I can think of plenty of fancy baldrics and sword belts in our period, but the fringe part is lodging in my brain. I think I need to shake my head around a bit to dislodge it, because I think there is an image in there somewhere of what you are asking about.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Okay, I guess I did a bit of a quick sail by.

Um, in one of my books entitled "The Mode In Costume" by R. Turner Wilcox, 1942 there are a handful of black and white illustrations of men wearing a wide embroidered [and sometimes fringed] baldric made of either silk or velvet. By the way, the word "Costume" in the title of the book does not refer to stage costumes, but more to mode of dress.

Here's a quote from the book.

"Baldrics of leather or embroidered silk or velvet were worn, from which the dress sword hung, the fashion lasting until after 1695."

Do you know of the engraved portrait of Morgan in his dress finery? It looks to me like he is wearing a fringed, embroidered baldric in this portrait. I do not believe it is a sash.

Also, [and I am reluctant to cite a movie], if you've ever seen Roman Polanksi's "Pirates" with Walter Matthau, Matthau's character Captain Red is wearing a wide fringed, embroidered baldric. I don't particularly like citing a movie costume though, because movies can be notoriously inaccurate.

-Tar Bucket Bill

Here's what he's talking about. I've been working on a similar piece for my Morgan re-enactment.

morgan-book.jpg

morgan-portrait.jpg

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

wintersash.jpg 1677 fashion plate

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/