Are Powder Horns PC?

powder horns were certainly around. Apostles were used during the era, but seem to be on the way out. Mostly cartridge boxes with premeasured loads were used. Many folks will be able to make a recommendation of a box or other method for carrying loads.

From an event safety standpoint. Many events (including blackbeard's) prohibits the use of pouring directly from any container for a main charge. From a safety standpoint premade and measured is the norm.

powder horns were certainly around. Apostles were used during the era, but seem to be on the way out. Mostly cartridge boxes with premeasured loads were used. Many folks will be able to make a recommendation of a box or other method for carrying loads.

From an event safety standpoint. Many events (including blackbeard's) prohibits the use of pouring directly from any container for a main charge. From a safety standpoint premade and measured is the norm.

Oh! (light going on) not being familiar with actual black powder weapons. I didn't realize that the cartridge boxes carried full premeasured rounds. I thought they only carried the musket balls. Interesting. I'll need to learn more about that. Note to self - wearing a powder horn and a cartridge box may look really silly.

:P

ihtcbanner.jpg

Below image,lovingly borrowed from the Baltimore Rangers web site, depicts some English Soldiers of the 1690s. Look on their belts...

Now do keep in mind that these are land troops (dragoons?), but it does show that powder horns were carried and used.

1690s_musketeers.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

Below image,lovingly borrowed from the Baltimore Rangers web site, depicts some English Soldiers of the 1690s. Look on their belts...

Now do keep in mind that these are land troops (dragoons?), but it does show that powder horns were carried and used.

1690s_musketeers.jpg

Thanks! I dig how all of their hats are different. Interesting.

ihtcbanner.jpg

If you look up the thread on uniform colours in the Captain's Twill area, you will see that soldiers while similar were not at the perfectly uniform stage yet... Coats tended to be the same colour, and they tended to have similar accessories, but from one soldier to the next differences could be seen... Even more so in the colonies thanover in Europe and Great Britain.

But that is another discussion entirely... :D

Michael_banner.jpg

1690s_musketeers.jpg

These are supposed to be dragoons? Dismounted..? right then off track...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Note to self - wearing a powder horn and a cartridge box may look really silly.

:D

But wearing a cartridge box, priming horn, and bullet bag (empty, or course) would look really cool.

Dutch is quite right about the safety concerns. That being said, I take some comfort knowing someone on the field has a priming horn. They come in handy when trying to clear a misfire after the battle. Also, they remove that nasty temptation to use half a charge and "pocket" the rest during the battle.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Safety, Safety, Safety...

I believe the regulations for carrying powder in priming horns during a battle scenario are;

"Priming horns may contain no more than One (1) ounce of fffg or ffffg powder."

This is from the Regulations of Old Fort Niagara, F&I period. So New York regs.

Thus I made up an small horn;

P7130107.jpg

I believe if I loaded it up full it would hold about two and a half, maybe three ounces of powder...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org