Sea Chests

Island Cutter

Desired Features in a Sea Chest  

31 members have voted

1. 1. General Design - Single Most Important Feature

• Inexpensive (Will be less PC)
    • Historically Accurate (Will be more expensive)
    • Functional Size (Will fit larger items)
    • Sturdy (Holds up to "Event Abuse")
  2. 2. Many replica Sea Chests cost upward of $500.00. What would you consider affordable for a 31 x 17 x 15 Period "looking" Chest that was made from modern materials? This chest would be strong enough to sit and probably stand on. Please note that shipping charges typically run about $60.00 throughout the Lower 48

• Less than US $200.00 (plus shipping)
    • About US $200.00 (pluss shipping)
    • More than US $200.00 (plus shipping)
  3. 3. Considering cost, would you like an "entry level" Sea Chest that could have upgraded features added to it at a later time, and for an additional cost? (Like Lock & Key, handmade rope becket handles, period correct hinges, custom painting or carving of your name and/or Ship's name)

• Basic affordability is all that I am looking for in the Sea Chest
    • I would like a Sea Chest that could have additional upgrades
    • I want all of the bells and whistles when I buy it
  4. 4. Is the ability to disassemble a chest of any importance to you (A disassembled chest could be shipped or checked as baggage)

• This is an important feature. A Must Have)
    • This is a nice feature, but not very important
    • I probably have no need to disassemble the Chest
  5. 5. You will save in shipping costs if the chest is originally sent to you disassembled. You will need only a screwdriver and a few minutes to put the chest together. Is this cost savings important to you?

• I will assemble the chest to save some money on shipping
    • I would like to have the chest already assembled when I get it.
  6. 6. As mentioned, an entry level chest would be made out of modern plywood sheet materials and hardware. I would use Marine Grade-Overlayed Ply that, when sealed & painted will be hard to tell from solid, painted pine. The MDO Plywood saves in materials and labor, but does not have a wood grain texture, and needs to be painted. Is this aspect ok for your uses?

• An affordable, sturdy, painted Sea Chest is fine for my uses.
    • The plywood is acceptable, but I would spend more to use Hardwood Ply with the edges banded so that it looks more like solid wood, and it can be stained and varnished.
    • It's got to be solid wood (Pine, Oak Mahogany, etc.) and I would pay more to have it that way.
  7. 7. To save shipping costs, Group orders can be placed, or the Chests could be delivered at events that we attend. Would this be of interest to you?

• My group might be interested in several chests. We would be interested in Group Pricing and/or Bulk Shipment
    • I could wait for you to deliver at an event near to me in order to save shipping costs.
    • I am willing to pay for Direct shippment to get the Sea Chest sooner.
  8. 8. One of the things we do best is Customization and Personalization. Is this feature of interest to you?

• Personalization is important, but I would not pay extra for it
    • I would be willing to pay a small, additional fee for a personalized Chest
    • Personalized design and size are important to me and I understand that they would cost a little more

I have posted this one on Ye Olde Tavern so forgive me if some of you have already seen this message...

Being a woodcarver and a cabinetmaker, I have made a few wooden chests in my time. Most were of my own design, but culled from various sources or bespoken by a client.

I am now looking to create a sort of “all purpose” sea chest that will visually fit in with the general GAoP period, yet be able to be disassembled and stowed flat for the constraints of modern travel. I am certainly capable of making a replica piece, but that is not my intention here. I want to make a series of good, and serviceable chests that will look well enough as a background piece, yet be sturdy and inexpensive enough to actually be used and knocked around a bit in the course of said use. The modern fastenings, which will facilitate in disassembly and reassembly will be hidden or disguised as much as possible. I have plans and drawing of everything from simple 6-Board, flat sided, nailed boxes to lovely barrel toped “pirate chests” and I need to settle on a “standard” design for general use

I am looking for some input on what you, the user, might want in such an item. I am currently designing a “typical” slant-sided, flat top chest about 30 L” x 15 W” X 17” tall.

As mentioned, the ability to disassemble it seems important when traveling, and they will be offered in many forms: Unfinished, Paint finished, Wax finished, Varnish finished, etc. I can even customize them with carving and decorative painting.

So, feel free to chime in. Let me know what you expect of a sea chest and certainly let me know if you are interested in owning one.

Edited by Island Cutter

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

aye, I have a chest to store m'grb in...currently it be barrel topped and am wish'n it be flat top as I have to keep it in my storage unit. also wishing it be a bit longer to accomdate m'sword.

The barrel top presents a problem as i need to be able to sit things on top of it.

so what price range were you thinging placing your chests? Might you be interested in doing a trade if so what might you be interested in trading?

Edited by Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Sounds like a great project.

If you are looking for input.

1. This is basically a rectangular box, for my travelling needs I would always use it for storage in transit and have no need for it to disassemble. However, that's just me.

2. Being able to sit on it is a very important consideration.

3. Besides the standard version, perhaps a version that on the inside is insulated and water tight in order that it could actually be an ice chest that looks like a sea chest.

Good luck with your project.

-Greydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Eye can sleep in mine Eagh eagh...!

IMG_2108.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Eye can sleep in mine Eagh eagh...!

IMG_2108.jpg

Lad, that be closer to a Sea Walkin Closet

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I have just finished the prototype and it is certainly sturdy enough to sit on' and I believe that it is also strong enough for even an "above average" sized person to stand on!

Since I feel that it would be best to ship them "flat", They would assemble once and disassembly would be as needed.

I have made other chests in the past that were specifically built to hold a commercially available cooler. Lots prettier to see around camp than the plastic chest.

I'll finish up and get the progress images posted in a day or two.

cost darl'n cost...what be the $$$ ye be ask'n?

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

To make a cooler out of any chest it is really simple. You need the foam panels used in home contstruction, either one-inch or 1 1/4 inch thick, gorilla glue, and silicon sealant. If you want to get fancy you can install a drain plug available at most boat places. Just cut the foam to fit staring with the bottom, then the sides, front and back. Glue each piece to the surface as you place them, then seal all the seams with silicon. for flat-tops you also cut and glue a piece to the lid that will allow clearance for the lid to fully close. Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention using the foam that is backed with foil, not the open cell kind.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

cost darl'n cost...what be the $$$ ye be ask'n?

I know that cost is an important aspect, but I do not have that worked out as of yet.

I will say again, that my intention is to make a basic model available at a reasonable cost. I have seen simple, painted sea chests start around $250 - $300, and go upward of $600 for a more "furniture grade" design in varnished hardwood. I believe that I am on a good track to be able to offer a very serviceable, painted sea chest for around $150.00

I am also considering "kits" that you can finish yourself (and save some more doubloons).

Again, this model is not a reproduction, it is a "camp use" furnishing... very sturdy, with a generally accurate look that you can be proud to have around at a public event. The construction and internal hardware will be modern to save on labor and material costs, but the look of something "real" will be there.

I am finishing up the prototype over this weekend and will have some picture and prices available very soon.

Edited by Island Cutter

I wouldn't mind at all getting an unfinished piece. Then staining and varnishing the rest yourself.

A kit would be nice. Thanks for even considering a project like this.

I really enjoy doing this kind of work and Winter is an excellent time for me to fill in some "empty days" during my Off Season. Are you thinking of the traditional "Pine Box" or are you interested in a hardwood like Oak or Mahogany?

If you are interested, drop me a line and perhaps we can work something out.

Boniface "Boncoeurs" Coeurloupe

"Le Coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point"

I wouldn't mind at all getting an unfinished piece. Then staining and varnishing the rest yourself.

Sorry for the confusion. I just helped a Mate to set up an account, and accidentally responded to your message from his session, Silly me. That's OK... the lil' Bilge Rat now has two whole posts on his way to the next level.

Contact me if you want to talk about a Sea Chest kit. I'll be glad to help

pirate@islandcutter.com

Sorry for the confusion. I just helped a Mate to set up an account, and accidentally responded to your message from his session, Silly me. That's OK... the lil' Bilge Rat now has two whole posts on his way to the next level.

pirate@islandcutter.com

Nevr mind him. I can made his box better and cheeper! :angry:

Boniface "Boncoeurs" Coeurloupe

"Le Coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point"

pirate@islandcutter.com

Nevr mind him. I can made his box better and cheeper! :angry:

Keep dreaming Froggie... Keep dreaming!

I would like to see what one of things look like - mind posting a picture?

I am just finishing the basic construction tonight and will have "progress report" pictures available within a day or two.

Once the prototype is done, the first Sea Chest in the "Production Run" Sea Chest #0001 (as you see, I'm very optimistic regarding the series run numbers) will be going to auction on eBay starting at One Piece of Eight* AND I will pay for Standard Shipping to most** locations in the Continental US. Furthermore, I will encourage the winner to allow me to customize their Sea Chest to make it uniquely their own.

All I will ask in return is to allow me to contact you so that you can share your observations on the finished piece. Let me know what you like or what you don't like, etc., etc.... so that I can make the best Sea Chest to fit our needs.

I hope that this will entice some more of you out to review my work and perhaps own one someday.

Sound Good to you?

* - Before we get into a BIG discussion on the Historical value of a Piece of Eight or general Monetary Nomenclature, let me say right here that for the purposes of this auction and general simplicity, I am setting the value of One Piece of Eight (= 8 Reales or 1/16 Doubloon) at US $10.00. I can bore you with the details of how I came up with that in another post, if you like. BTW: That makes the value of a Doubloon US $160.00 in my world.

** - If you win and you live in some remote cave or up on top of a sea gull poop encrusted Crow's Nest, and the USPS can't get to you without swinging from vines or leap-frogging aligators, you are going to pay extra for delivery!

I can attest that he does good work. He did a stellar job on our sign!

Many thanks. It is a pleasure to know that my work is appreciated.

I hope that the sign is serving you well. Please send along any pictures from new events.

Edited by Island Cutter

I would like to see what one of things look like - mind posting a picture?

I am taking a bit of a chance here by showing this unfinished piece as a teaser, but I just couldn't wait. You can see some more photos on my Flickr page...

KayDee Sea Chest - A Work in Progress

Please remember that the purpose of this experiment is to see if it is possible to offer an alternative to expensive, hardwood sea chests. Basically, to create a piece that would hold up to some of the rigors of outdoor events, while not jeopardizing an "heirloom furnishing" or compromising too much in the way of an historical look. More progress images will be forthcoming as the piece is finished with paint and decorated in a Period Style.

unf_chest.jpg

Eye am keepin a weather eye on this thread..great work so far..

I be lookin forward to the finished product..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Good Evening, Island Cutter ~

I had been lurking, to observe your interpretation of a portable sea chest (as my Dad and I made my own sea chest some time back). Nicely done!

My thoughts ~ you may wish to address the weight concern. The reason I would purchase a folding sea chest is so I could take it with when flying to events. At 29 pounds, that stresses the already tight weight restrictions imposed by the airlines. Paying $25 to $100 for overweight or additional baggage justifies the $60 FedEx charges for shipping my entire sea chest, assembled and full of gear.

Folks driving to events generally have a little more room to play with when packing their car ~ but there are also those who have small cars (like me in my Miata), that might find this a useful item.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

My thoughts ~ you may wish to address the weight concern. The reason I would purchase a folding sea chest is so I could take it with when flying to events. At 29 pounds, that stresses the already tight weight restrictions imposed by the airlines.

Yes, this first version stressed sturdiness over lightness. The 3/4" MDO is only a few pounds heavier than it would have been in Pine, yet significantly stronger. I could certainly work one up in 1/2" MDO(ply) or Pine, but I would not use one such as that for a bench and I certainly would not try to stand on it. If lightness is your concern, it might be time for me to design a KD Sea Chest that would stack down to fit in the "overhead stowage locker" of those winged beasts.

I love a challenge!

Eye am keepin a weather eye on this thread..great work so far..

I be lookin forward to the finished product..

Thanks.

I can't wait to get out the paint bucket and hide all of the "modern concessions" and gently (or not so gently) weather it into a nice, period looking condition.

I expect that I'll be starting that tomorrow.