Living History Display

Misson

Here's something cool we could do that should be fairly simple to prepare in advance and yet still add depth to the event.

I a living history display would be extremely cool at PiP. We could put something together at the event using the particular characters, roles and skills like we have been discussing in the Mercury Crew Thread. Something like this page that I put together on my website from a recent event: http://www.markck.com/images/Piracy/BB08/B...al_Ch_Fifth.htm

It would not be scripted or anything that will require meeting in advance. It'd be more of a self-guided tour through an area where we re-enactors explain our roles and tools. There are various stations set up for various things that were important to careening and/or shipboard life. Some of the stations might include: My surgical stuff (a sample of which you can see on that link to my webpage), Capt. Sophia's spices, willie wobble has a beautiful cooking set-up, Silkie's Ordinary is already in the planning stages, William could talk about ship design (and show off his draughts) and Michael and others had been toying with a blacksmithing display. (These are just ideas, possibly suggestions, mind you.) There are several other roles people could explain such as making clothing, knots and ropes, sail-making and weaponry. It's actually quite easy to do - not only do you get to talk about your hobby, the people listening are actually interested!

Now, Key West is a pretty casual environment, so my suggestion is to run it after the Sunday battle in the fort (when people are the most concentrated in the fort). Have it run for 2 hours max. That way, unlike the camp where people come and go and most of the public walking through are really on their way to the beach, we could have everyone there and ready (we'd probably have to set up before the battle).

While it would be best situated in the camp for obvious reasons, sheer publicity and attendance suggest we should be set up in the Fort for the first year and see how it goes. (It may not go at all, but it's fairly low investment for most of us and thus is low risk IMO.) It would also give the pirates inside the fort a taste of the bizarre lengths we go to to try and recreate the period.

Mostly of the prep work would be done by those showing off their skills, knowledge acquisitions before arriving in Key West. (Bone up on your period info.) Those who are interested could just volunteer to be involved in the area that interested them, bringing their own materials and skills. I learned that it also does help to think about how such would be set-up to best effect. (For example, I discovered that I need to get a piece of soft leather in light color to set my instruments upon and show them off to best advantage.) All we should require from the Fort is some tables set up, probably under the tent.

Anyhow, there it is. I don't think it's at all too late to put something like this together. (If we're gonna do it, we should get it on the program, however. I think it'll take all the promotion we can muster.) This would be a chance to really show off the Mercury and Archangel crews period-correct stuff and it would only cost us some personal planning in advance and two hours or so plus set-up in the fort.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Random notes of interest?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

boy this is full of usefull information ;)

facility permitting, you all can do so much that other venues would not be able to handle. a smythe, a built in goal for starters. you can certainly go from static display to full living history and do a smashing job of it.

for those who would like to plan something but have no idea where to start. here are some humble observations about living history vs reenactment or a static display.

-Keep your verbage short and simple. you can only keep someones attention for about three minutes.

-have an ends to your goal. if you are tying knots at 10a and tying the same knots at 2p people loose interest. if you make a hammock, a net, or baggywrinkle with those knots now you're on to something to keep attention- people like to see progress. along the same lines, don't make something so big that you are destine to fail.

-don't be afraid to take a break, but make sure there is someone doing something else to replace you- it does not need to be the exact same thing, the idea is to not allow free space and time to go to waste.

-if you talk the talk be able to walk the walk. my personal favorite... another local crew had a character that professed to be a shipwright. well me being the shipwrights mate for the crew go to talk shop with said shipwright. oh bad results ensued. seems he was a house framer and was clueless.

i'm sure others can add more useful tips...

**whack** oops nervous twitch...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Each time I return to this thread there are different posts, but let me say this...

I believe that Mark's ambition is sound, and with the proper enthusiasm and planning we can make this work, and anything else we truly set our minds to. Even when we have attempted and failed, we have never fallen so short of the mark that the general public and our fellow pirates did not come away wanting more and setting goals to do so.

In the past I would have recommended baby steps, but PIP grew so significantly last year, and with so much success, that I can no longer recommend care and ease when adding each new idea, so long as we put our backs into it. Even some friction which existed between individuals or crews was overcome for the greater good.

I could not have imagined, when first meeting Mark, that he would plow ahead with such fervor. My hat is off, Sir.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Personally I think it is a brilliant idea as well.

Keeping this to less than a half day, or just a couple of hours would probably be as Misson said the most ideal situation... I also like the idea of setting things up before a battle, then funnelling people over after the battle, it allows for maximum exposure so those who do volunteer displays or time will feel like they have an audience.

Dutch has a lot of good suggestions in his post... And a suggestion which his advice suggests but doesn't come out and say, is that for those just getting started, focus on a very specific aspect of what you will be displaying, beign a good "generalist" takes time, realistically many months if not years. So if you have aspirations of doing a living history display (or whatever term is used) it is better to overspecialize than to try and explain all aspects of a certain trade.

It's too bad Dutch deleted his first post, there were some really good definitions in there... Now I understand there is a great deal of differences of opinions on the use of those terms, but regardless of the terms used, he did explain the concepts well.

The only thing I have to say is Blacksmithing may not be a good addition to this. It tends to be a slow tedious task, with almost no immediate visual end results. So with blacksmithing, it tends to be turn into one of two things, either a static display of the tools, or a smith working the forge and not doing much talking. Now it is possible for a few people to work together to balance the best of both worlds on this... But in my observations, blacksmithing tends to work best as an ongoing demonstration rather than a focussed Living History display in a time slot. That's my two cents on the matter anyways.

Michael_banner.jpg

Mostly I'm just interested in seeing if folks going to PiP are interested in doing this.

The way it worked for me was really simple. (And it could work for blacksmithing as well).

1. I laid out all the tools I had with me on the table and let people approach.

2. I would say, "Hi there!" (brightly) and the conversation would be opened.

3. Someone would usually ask "What's that for?" (Usually in reference to the trepan, the bullet extractor or the clyster syringe) and I would give the spiel about that item.

4. They would then

_4a) ask about something else

_4b) leave or

_4c) Just stand there.

___4c1) If they stood there, I started explaining something else (bleeding/cupping jars was a good one)

___4c2) I would then pause to see what they would do after that. If they stayed, return to step 4 and repeat. This way they regulated their own info intake.

5. When there was a large crowd, I would usually just go through my 5 or 6 favorite things and people could stay or go as they pleased.

6. After explaining the 5 or 6 things I would stop because I needed a breather. Some folks would then move on, others moved forward, I would turn around to get some water, turn back and...return to step 2.

Nice and simple. Now, if you're doing something like sewing an item or some other activity, you just look up, smile and say, "Hi there!" (brightly). They will then ask questions or watch you for awhile or just move along. Again, you just let them determine how much info they want to take in. (Note: To give credit where it's due, I learned this while taking a fellow re-enactor/LARP person from the Netherlands to Greenfield Village about a month ago. This is exactly how the professional re-enactors did this almost every time. I figured if anyone would know how to work this, they should. :o )

Whatever we call this (they call it "Living History" and the ever popular "History Come to Life!" at Henry Ford Greenfield Village here in Detroit which has been in operation in one form or another since 1929), it's an easy thing to do, especially if you have a particular area of interest. Even if you don't, reading one book on a topic that might interest you enough to talk about it will probably give you enough info to operate for two hours time.

The question is (for those of you who have made it this far): Is anyone interested it doing this besides Michael? I figure we need at least five stations to make it worthwhile.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I have my hands full trying to convince myself I can make the ordinary work. It keeps growing! but sure bring them on ...just be sure that they know we will not be selling anything a the ordinary ...we will however be happy to take tips on the behalf of the festival! :o

Hmmm ...wonder if this would be a good time to sell baked goods ...they did that at Blackbeard also ...Proceeds to benefit the festival. Oh man ...another bite ...GAH! ...too much for me to chew! Silkie ...back away ...from the thread.

:o

we had to do a bit of digging to make sure we were safe selling the rum cakes to benefit the colonial seaport foundation (our nonprofit leg). virginia allows home made baked goods as long as the ingredients and bakers name appear on the packaging and done in an approved kitchen (the church around the corner). you will need to check florida laws.

I'd also check with Harry since he's in control of the vendors there. You want to be sure you're not conflicting with the folks who put on the fine food spreads for us there or anyone else Harry has lined up to sell food.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

doing the living history side can be an absolute ball and as mission discovered, kids will defitiely keep you on your toes. its also great when the lightbulb goes on and they get what you are doing.

you can manipulate your schtik to have all sorts of results. from talking with sterling, their hanging has a couple of different endings depending on the crowd- i can't wait to see it!!!

its also fun to see what others are doing and woe betide you get a few who try to outdo each other- not that this group would EVER do anything like that!!! at a recent event we ended up with two surgeons, three naviguessers and lots of cooks. its amazing to listen to folks compare notes and see how displays evolve over time. (thanks to kevin duffus, we have to completely redo blackbeard after nine years).

another thing is watching the changes that occur over time as new projects must be altered. the three john smith schallopes were all uniquely different. over time, the explorer is changing its unpractical sailing rig, sultana changed her banks, reedville did some hull design changes. all three are starting to look alike now. the point is don't get stuck in a rut and be willing to change as history and new ideas surface.

-man i wish i could make it this year.

For starters ...DUTCH! YOU NEED TO MAKE IT THIS YEAR! you ant the rest of the crew ...but if ANY want to come we will find a place for them on the beach.

I don't want to sell anything anyway. Too much work on top of the fun work.

I think that the living history should be done in the encampment. There are many reasons for this. "Living" being the key word we should be "living" it. A display speaks of a museum. If we have a "tour past the forge, past the carpenters, into the encampment where crews will be working on their various jobs, cooks will be "in their element" I certainly can't move "The Sealchies Hide" into the fort. Besides the tour would begin at the pub inside the fort ...maybe not ...perhaps it should begin at the entrance of the fort and end at the Pub. In the encampment we could have fighting drills ...the public loves it ...even when they can see that it is all choreographed. In the fort we would be in full sunlight. On the beach we would have more room, more shade and would be able to rope off the area creating a path THROUGH the encampment.

...speaking of which ...we need LOTS of rope ...Bone Island? :lol:

First of all, I think this is a wonderful idea.

Being a devil's advocate here, so don't hate me for it.

I agree with Silkie in that it should remain in the camp. Thus providing the public with a darned good reason for wanting to come to the encampment. Last year we struggled with folks not checking us out or just passing through. Perhaps some signs, a flyer, or an additional paragraph in the program stating what we have going on would help. Encouragement from the Fort, letting people know we exist would go a long way as well. (Not to say it didn't happen last year and many thanks to those that sent people our way).

Once people are in the camp, if all they see is a bunch of pirates sitting around, why should they stay? I see no reason why we shouldn't be doing all of our various skills while were there. We do have quite a bit of down time and should take advantage of it.

I spent a good bit of time finding an assortment of period toys and games for kids to play with when they visit. There wouldn't be enough space for them to do anything but look at them in the fort. We have 3 days to show off what we enjoy doing and spent all year planning. To reduce it to a few hour time slot in an already event full Fort just seems unproductive.

I really hate to sound unenthusiastic about this because I do think it's important and necessary, but I believe it would be more beneficial to remain in the camp.

PS. Dutch, you need to be here :lol:

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I would agree - it would be a fish out of water to have it in the fort. It makes far more sense to have living history for the careening camp in the camp itself. I think some signs near the entrance as people come and go would be good to point the way to the encampment. That way people can visit the fort (pay the money for admission first) then go to the encampment on the way out. It's important to get the money before they go there - it helps offset the costs.

I think it is much more interesting to have it ongoing. That's what we did in our period pub last year. It was ordinary life in the times - games eats, drinks, the sugar can pressing, cleaning the guns, talking about past and upcoming adventures among ourselves at the Catt & Fiddle - it allowed visitors to become part of the life as we taught them what life was like by being in that time.

We will be doing that again this year in our little corner of the world in the fort. I think it's a grand idea for the encampment to do their portrayals in what would the the natural habitat -- shoreside, in camp.

It will be yet another reason for people to stay longer throughout the day so they can see everything. It's always a challenge to get people to stay more than a couple hours and I know many people wanted to stay to watch the battle, but ran out of things to do. This helps fill that void, especially if people are singing songs, working, cooking, etc.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

-man i wish i could make it this year.

Oi ye can always car pool with me, Silkie and the snotties...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

As to paying ...then that settles it ...the encampment "tours" would begin at the Pub. Then we give them the flyer or have the poster posted there.

Problem with "ongoing" is that there are times ...like battles when the camp will be nearly empty. We need a schedule. If we have enough people half could stay in the camp on day one and half on day two ...but I want to spend time with EVERYONE! LOL

Once people are in the camp, if all they see is a bunch of pirates sitting around, why should they stay?  I see no reason why we shouldn't be doing all of our various skills while were there.

Well then... ahem... **pulling on cravat and trying desperately hard not to laugh** The ..um Mercury crew needs to get their arses out of bed by a normal time and get to work!! :lol:

We plan to be doing a funeral... one reason why the two different crewes are in the same location... a temporary truce in order to bury Sterling's dead son, so we will be teaching on funeral practices of the period as well as other every day items... so far the hangings are a go and the brawl will be bloody brilliant..

Crewe of the Archangel

I really think it would be better in the fort for the first year. There's a lot more traffic oriented to the event in there. Plus it'd give people something for their fee entrée.

As for full time - ok, it's not hard for a few hours, but more than that and it's work. While I like edutaining as much as the next person, I'm also on vaca. Plus you'd basically have to have enough people hanging around all the time doing something period appropriate to make it truly worthwhile. Time here and there - ok. A schedule? None for me thanks, I'm vaca-ing. 'Tis a fine line between work and fun re-enacting.

Conch fritters are callllling...battle be damned!

I have to agree with Mission....more than a bit makes it work. Considering that Micky and I had to cancel our summer vacation, PiP is going to be my break from work.

I am, however, going to bring my paper making and writing accoutrements so that I can demo a little of that if anyone is interested. I've been reading more about it, and while it isn't as interesting as surgical stuff, it's still neat....so we'll see how it shapes up. :lol:

Banner.jpg

Actually, I think doing something is interesting in and of itself. A key to all any such station (from my HF Greenfield Village experience) is the "Hi there!" (brightly) part. If you do that, people know they can talk to you and ask questions. The only time they didn't do that was at the bottle-making exhibit, where there was a paid spokesmodel who answered questions.

But the forge is outside of the fort. I would think the carpenters would also be outside. Mission, what say you have a "hospital" inside the fort, not asking that you "act" it would just be a setting. We could have a battle on the field. We bring the "wounded" to the "hospital" , as people gather at the pub. Then "we" guide them from the pub to the "hospital" and surrounding displays, to the forge, then the carpenters, cooks & ordinary, ...Sterling ...where do you want the funeral?

What we need ...and I realize this is Key West, what we need is some organization and "guides". And a reason to guide them back into the fort.

Before this gets into a pissing match,

Great Scott! I hope it's not as serious as all that!

perhaps Hary should be contacted to see if this can even be scheduled into the Fort events.

Good point. Done.

...Sterling ...where do you want the funeral?

The funeral will be in camp, on the beach, due to the fact that we want folks to come to the beach area... you stretch this out over too much territory and it most likely won't work.

Crewe of the Archangel