Grommet Style Sea-chest becket tutorial pt. 2

MorganTyre

I'm setting this tutorial up, not in the order of construction but in the order of difficulty. Each of the separate pieces (grommet, turks head, coach-whipping) should be learned and attempted separately. Now, on to the turks head -

This is a step by step follow the picture deal. Tying it around something is the EXACT same process. The large line and presence of a hand should not confuse you. If you are doing this with marline around your becket every step is the exact same. Remember to tie this loosely as subsequent passings will increase it's bulk and make it tighter. Once your turks head is done carefully work it tighter and tighter around until you have it as you want it and then trim off the extra ends as pictured.

This first picture is a flattened view of what is happening around your hand in the first photograph.

Turkshead01.gif

Turkshead02.jpg

Turkshead03.jpg

Turkshead04.jpg

Turkshead05.jpg

Turkshead06.jpg

Ropework_Header.jpg

Thanks. The next one is the toughie. I'm not real sure how I'm going to illustrate it as you are dealing with six or so strands at any given moment. I will probably have it up tomorrow. On the bright side, it'll be a knot that most people don't know how to tie - unlike the basic running turks-head described here. It's basically an extended turk-shead made up of multiple parts and though I've been calling it coach-whipping it's not really though there is no real difference in appearance. To be honest despite many many attempts I've never gotten the hang of standard coach-whipping. I understand it in theory and it's simple to tie but I can't get it even. That's ok. The elongated turkshead is a better looking knot :)

Ropework_Header.jpg

Awesome! This is the kind of post I like...one that teaches you something. These are valuable skills to know! Good job Morgan! :ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)