Slops Buttons and Shirt Buttons?

Mick MacAnselan

Anyone know what styles of buttons would be GAoP period? By style, I mean the kind with two or more holes in the face, or the kind with a 'post hole' in the back? Materials are easy enough from the admiralty contracts, but I don't recall reading anything about styles. TIA.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Thats a good question. There are some good photos of buttons that were recovered from GAoP period wrecks at this site.

http://www.artifacts.org/Fleetpage.htm

For the post style button. I think that for our purposes, the buttons should be similar to this one (from the link above)

1715Button03Sm.jpg

These could be pewter as well. Of course, period pewter has lead in it which gives it a slightly different look then the lead free pewter used today.

I have also seen period buttons of the style pictured above with a casting seam on the back.

Most of the buttons that are sold by GGG, (G Gedney Godwin, not the German Goo Girls) Townsend and others are really later style (F&I or Rev War buttons). They are a little larger (3/4" to 1") and have their posts ( a wire loop) soldered onto the back.

The admiralty slops contracts call for tin (pewter) or brass buttons, and I have not read any reference to a 2/4 hole button. That being said, I am sure a sailor used what he had if he needed buttons.

Actually, it might be cool to have a few pewter buttons with some brass to represent replaced buttons.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Actually, Jas. Townsend & Son does have the proper pewter buttons, just like the ones pictured above. The loops are cast in one piece with the button, not soldered on. I recently ordered a number of them for a British knapsack I made. They are 5/8" in diameter, and are indeed lead free pewter, but this is good for those who don't want lead marks on their clothing. Hope this helps. :angry:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Wow midnight... that is great to know.

I ordered my buttons from them.... gosh 8-10 years ago and they were made differently.

If they are 5/8" with a cast post, then they are great buttons... can you send me a picture?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Good morning, GoF!

Unfortunately, my friend, I don't have a photo of the buttons myself, but they are pictured on Jas. Townsend & Son's web site. Just look under "buttons", and scroll down until you find stock # BU-33 "Plain Pewter Buttons" (small). Their photo actually doesn't do justice to the buttons, as it is not very clear, but they are one piece buttons and actually very nice. Though they are pewter, they are the exact same style as the brass ones in your previous message. Hope this helps you out. :angry:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Actually, it might be cool to have a few pewter buttons with some bone mixed in to similate "replaced" buttons.

GoF

This is just what I did on my waistcoat and long coat, mixing various sizes and styles of brass and pewter buttons, as well as leaving a few missing to simulate wear. It surely enhances tha "patina of age" that began with a stint in the sun followed by distressing and tea staining (simultaneously) in a cement mixer.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...