What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

Reading back over my chapters...time to get writing again..good rainy day for it.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious George to me wee little lad...... :o:o

Happy Memories for me Heart.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Idols, Victims, Pioneers, Virginia's Women from 1607... Wamsley.

Virginia Under the Stuarts, Wertenbaker.

Sociability and Power in Late Stuart England, The Cultural World of the Verneys 1660-1720, Whyman.

Everyday Life in Early America, Hawke

Social Life of Virginia in the Seventeenth Century, Bruce

The First Americans 1607-1690, Wertenbaker

And I have an appointment at the ACHS, to read the indentured servant records from the late 17th century/early 18th century, and the Secret Diaries of William Byrd II... unlike the historical societies in Long Island, the Charlottesville Historical Society is a treasure trove!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Nor Virginia... :blink::D

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

^A small piece of paper I had in my wallet..

Right now I am enthralled with the book I have been reading Scotland's Black Death.

It is very detailed and keeps the interests of the reader with out being overbearing.

Oh, and an old love note I found while cleaning. Hmmm, Happy Memories indeed. Wow. :rolleyes: The things you can remember when you find something..... :wub:

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

at moment my calculus text :blink:

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

• 1 month later...

The Adams-Jefferson Letters

Augustus by Anthony Everitt ; Ike: An American Hero by Michael Korda; and re-reading "The Mist" by Stephen King.

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

research...more research...and wonddering where I can find more research....

A list of 18th Century British slang

hmmmmmmmmmm

so many books, so little time

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

I am finishing a Trilogy that tells Pride and Prejudice from Fitzwilliam Darcy's point of view by Pamela Aidan. Volume One, An Assembly Such As This, was well done; Volume Two, Duty and Desire , was well enough. The third, These Three Remain , is much more kindred to the first volume.

A Classic from another angle when done correctly, is quite a pleasure to delve into. I read another called A Far Better Rest retelling A Tale of Two Cities that I found enjoyable. Every now and again you happen upon one that does the original justice....

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Dang... didn't read the post befor I posted..... bad patt....

Just finished Herman Wouk's "Don't stop the Carnaval"......

And just wasn't happy withthe ending..... sure it was realistic....but..... DANG.... not the way I wanted it to end................ RATS..................

Just finished Herman Wouk's "Don't stop the Carnaval"......

And just wasn't happy withthe ending..... sure it was realistic....but..... DANG.... not the way I wanted it to end................ RATS..................

Still, a highly recommended book.

I'm reading Daniel Dennett's Kinds of Minds: Towards and Understanding of Consciousness. I must confess, while some of his ideas interest me, his writing style is too disorganized for my taste.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Scales of Gold by Dorothy Dunnett (4th in the seven book series The House of Niccolo)

Misfortune by Wesley Stace

And, still slowly working my way through Foucault's Pendulum by Emberto Ecco.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

What do you think of Ecco?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I loved Name of the Rose, thoroughly enjoyed Baudolino and am liking Mysterious Flame but I could never finish Pendulum. Weird, huh? You'd think I was from Holland . . .

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

What do you think of Ecco?

I read Name of the Rose and liked it very much. Pendulum is a tougher read — more convoluted. It also doesn't help that I take breaks to read other stuff, and don't get back to it for weeks, or up to a month. I should just knuckle down and keep to it, and maybe it would be easier, and fairer to the author.

I DO recommend Dorothy Dunnette to anyone who likes excellent historical fiction. She has two series — The Lymond of Crawford series (6), and the House of Niccolo series (7). Super, super good books, expecially the Lymond of Crawford. I've been reading them since the mid-eighties, and am going through the Niccolo series again for the third time. I am also slowly collecting them all in hardback, mainly through Ebay.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I picked up Pendulum and did manage to get through it, but thought it was a very difficult book to read and enjoy. I found it very dense and yet somewhat scattered in it's approach. However, I saw In the Name of the Rose with the ever-reliable Connery and really enjoyed it. Perhaps I should give Umberto another shot...