What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

I started the Jules Verne book The Blockade runners but got bored 2 chapters in. I switched to Five Weeks in a Ballon which rocked. I'm curently about halfway through 800 Leagues on the Amazon which is excellent so far. All these are librivox audibooks by the way. Hard to read and drive lol

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Journey to the Center of the Earth is a really good book, but I think my favorite Verne book is The Mysterious Island.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Right now, I seem to be on a bit of a Roman kick. Reading "Cleopatra's Kidnappers" by Stephen Dando-Collins, a unit bio of the 6th Legion, and reading as well "SPQR IV: The Temple of the Muses", John Maddox Roberts. Currenly waiting for the newest in the series, "SPQR XIII: The Year of Confusion" to be delivered. Playing on computer Gallic Wars (HPS Sims)...and had me a gyro when I got home from work...fried onions, meat, sauce...and it was yum!

Hey, they had pirates back then...but they didn't have our sense of style.

Damn, thats sharp!

Mysterious Island was pretty wild, but of the Jules Verne stories, 20K Leagues is my fav.

Well,... I'm starting on a book called The Secret. Just wondering who all has read it and what you think. I'm not exactly sold on it from what I've read thus far.

Hoping to obtain Pirate Latitudes soon. Looks like a pretty decent book. Is it? Is the book worth purchasing?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

After finishing Journey I decided to give Island a whirl given Missions comments. No doubt a fun book but it hasn't jumbed ahead of Around the World in 80 Days on my list. I also finished an abriged J Edgar Hover biography which although a page turner left me nauses due to its subjet ( and here I thought Dick Chenny was sick!) I am now 2/3 through with Michael Strogoff also by Verne. This book so far is a top three contender for Vernes best

Provenance — How a Con Man and a Forger Rewrote the History of Modern Art....by Laney Salisbury and Aly Sujo

Fascinating.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hoping to obtain Pirate Latitudes soon. Looks like a pretty decent book. Is it? Is the book worth purchasing?

IMO, no. Get it from the library or buy it used for cheap. It's not like his other books; it's more like a typical pirate fiction story with a few extra details and a lot of the "Arrrr!" type stuff removed. But it's sorely missing that Crichton page-turning flair. (For more opinions, see this thread.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I listened to an NPR piece on Provnce some time back. I have yet to read the book but thepeice was fascinating. I finished with Jules Verne's Michael Strogoff this evening. A great read (or in my case listen as the librivox reader was excellent. ) I don't know yet which of his books I'll be downloading next but most likely it will be one of his moon books. (As close to the moon as we will be for awhile I fear). I have started Sea of Glory by Nathaniel Philbrick. (Author of In the Heart of the Sea. ) I got this book in hardback at Dollar Tree so if your looking to save some coin...

How about... Love Stories of Some Famous Pirates by A. Hyatt Verrill...

Yeah, it's out of print, but each time I read it ... It kinda changes.... This read is alla the love stories, but last time it was all the blood an gore....go figgure....same book.....

Still re-reading The Buccaneers of America....

Read Blakes 7.. dang that one suxed...I ques the TV show musta been better....

Road Fever by Tim Cahill was a fun read....It's alla 'bout some guys that drive from Terra Del Fuego to Alaska to get into the Gunis book or World Records....

But other than tBoA, I'm outta anything to read.....

Couple days ago, I got in "SPQR XIII: The Year of Confusion", by John Maddox Roberts. Scupper me, I wish that bloke would write some pirate books, cuz he's good!

5118h65RllL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Also picked up at Borders (since I had a coupon for 30% off), "Gladiators: Rome's Bloody Spectacle", by Konstantin Nossov (who?)

51aexgXU%2BjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

So its yet another case of my going forward into the past...

Damn, thats sharp!

I remember watching Blakes 7...quality was about the same as "Doctor Who" of the time, but rather more serious. I always prefered the character of Avon...there was a hint of "Dr Smith" in him...after the character of Blake was written out of the series, Avon himself took over leadership.

I don't know if you can get US releases of the dvds. You might want to try thru interlibrary loan (consult yer local library)...you can get imports thru Amazon, of course, but you'd be needing a region free dvd player to view them.

How about... Love Stories of Some Famous Pirates by A. Hyatt Verrill...

Yeah, it's out of print, but each time I read it ... It kinda changes.... This read is alla the love stories, but last time it was all the blood an gore....go figgure....same book.....

Still re-reading The Buccaneers of America....

Read Blakes 7.. dang that one suxed...I ques the TV show musta been better....

Road Fever by Tim Cahill was a fun read....It's alla 'bout some guys that drive from Terra Del Fuego to Alaska to get into the Gunis book or World Records....

But other than tBoA, I'm outta anything to read.....

Damn, thats sharp!

The latest I just started below. I've got books stacked and queued up to read... must be all those trips to the used book store and the Library where they sell off the older stuff (and donations) that no longer circulate...

I tend to collect the hardcovers of books I like, damn my eyes... need more shelves now...

f41d228348a07bd74c554110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Finished Verne's Michael Strogoff definetly a top 3 for Verne IMO. Despite my earlier post I've been listening to Dick Sands Boy Captin not one of Verne's moon stories. I finished Sea of Glory. I must admit it was a great read for a non fic book. Very enjoyable and I definatley no more about the US ex. ex. I've started an abriged book Learning to Play God good so far.

I finished Learning to Play God the last of my abriged books today. A good enough read but unlike the other books in this collection it left me a little short though this may be due more to my lack of intrest in moderen medicine than anything else. I have gotten bored with Dick Sands and I think I may be a little burnt out on Verne since none of the remaing titles seem to impress me much. I'll start my search for a new title again tonight then see where that takes me.

The Travels and Controversies of Friar Domingo Navarrete 1618-1686, edited by J.S. Cummins, Volume 1; Chyrurgic Memoirs: Being and Account of many Extraordinary Cures... by John Moyle; South Pacific by James Michener and my Spanish Textbook, Puntos en Breve by a bunch of somewhat muddleheaded people.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just finished Shutter Island and about 4/5ths of the way through The Poet. Sad to say, I can't really recommend either of these books.

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

I'm about half way through Empire of Blue Water by Stephan Talty. It's basically a retelling of Exquemelin with some other details thrown in. I'm going to have to track down some of the books listed in the bibliography tho...

The part about the Buccaneer's guns kinda threw me off tho....

And their most valuable possessions, prized above women and even Spanish gold: their muskets. ... The pirate musket was an object d'art, often originating in the shops one might almost say studios) of the great French gunsmiths: Brachere or Dieppe and Galin of Nientes. ...So the privateers and pirates carried one-of-a-kind matchlocks (in which a burning taper was placed into a pan of gunpowder) and the later wheelocks (in which a metal wheel spins against a flint, causing sparks to fly and touching off the powder,...an instrument that was at the forefront of Renaissance artistry.

OH well....

I also just started Rainbow Mars by Larry Niven...

Currently working my way through three...

The King of Pirates

Under the Black Flag (third time)

Get a Grip on Physics

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Couple days ago, I got in "SPQR XIII: The Year of Confusion", by John Maddox Roberts. Scupper me, I wish that bloke would write some pirate books, cuz he's good!

5118h65RllL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Also picked up at Borders (since I had a coupon for 30% off), "Gladiators: Rome's Bloody Spectacle", by Konstantin Nossov (who?)

I'm glad you liked it, and I've been working on an epic pirate book for some time. The Nossov book is quite good, by the way.

JMR

Mad Capn Bob's jaw drops down onto the desk at the sight of John Maddox Roberts posting here! Love the SPQR books!

I'm glad you liked it, and I've been working on an epic pirate book for some time. The Nossov book is quite good, by the way.

JMR

Damn, thats sharp!

Currently reading, among other titles, Juvenal's 16 Satires. Meaty stuff, and as cutting as an obsidian scalpel...which is pretty bloody sharp, let me tell you...

Damn, thats sharp!