What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

Re-reading The Mammoth Book of Sword and Honor, edited by Mike Ashley.

It includes "The Duel," by Joseph Conrad, upon which the film "The Duelists" was based. Ridley Scott directed it and after seeing "2012", I wish the earlier film had had a budget comparable. I can't help but imagine some of the CGI battle scenes!

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading The Sea Rovers's Practice by Benerson Little. I got the recommendation somewhere on the forum and it's been sitting on my file cabinet waiting to be read. So far...it's ok. The guy is quite philosophical in places - which I like - but he's also a bit too impressed with his vocab and (I suspect) a little to close to the subject to be as objective as he seems to think he is. But it's a nice summary of pirate info with good references.

I am also reading The Navy Surgeon or Surgery With a Dissertation On Cold and Hot Mineral Springs and Physical Observations on the Coast of Guiney by John Atkins. It's quite readable, albeit a decade outside of period.

As a side note, it's very interesting to me to see the development of the written language from Woodall's The surgions mate (1617) to Moyle's The Sea Chirurgion (1693) to Atkin's The Navy Surgeon (1742), Granted, that is a 125 year span, but the language and style improves most dramatically over that time period. It's almost like watching the Renaissance unfold.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'm just finishing up "London: The Novel" by Edward Rutherfurd

London on Amazon

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

I keep wanting to reply to this thread, and the I think to myself, "I'm not actively reading anything at the moment, just flipping through random books". And then yesterday it dawned on me, I am reading something! I'm reading The Hobbit to the kids as a bedtime story.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I am always actively in the middle of reading several books. I can't go more than a day after finishing a book without starting another. I carry extra books and articles in the car in case I forget my book when I wind up some place where I have to wait for more than 5 minutes for something. I once got reprimanded in traffic court for reading while the other cases were being discussed.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Currently reading several titles concurrently...I just hope I don't get them all confused, belike...

In pursuit of my planned winter activity, I've got a library copy of "Navigation in the Age of Discovery: An Introduction", by Duane Cline. (am thinking of buying it thru Celestaire, and wanted to see if it is worth it...)

In pursuit of my planned end of Dec vacation, "The Complete Walt Disney World 2009" After five previous trips to the Mouse Empire, I hardly need it, but it's got very nice photos.

Reading as well "We Are Doomed: Reclaiming Conservative Pessimism", cuz I'm bloody tired, so I am, of people, organizations and institutions telling me what I am supposed to "feel"

And reading Terry Pratchett's "Soul Music"...just because.

I *would* be reading Fraser's classic "The Pyrates"...but I can't seem to find my copy!

Damn, thats sharp!

Being a compulsive reader, who tends to panic if I have no new book, magazine to read, I am currently reading the following:

The Cavalier in the Yellow Doublet by Arturo Perez-Reverte...translated from the Spanish by Margaret Jull Costa

I have read several books by this author, and loved them all. Give him a try.

And, as I am a fan of a good murder mystery, which this one is proving to be, I am also reading: Blood Rain by Michael Dibdin. A story which takes place in Sicily.

Oh, and I have read Two Years Before the Mast many times, and played and sailed off Dana Point, CA. My copy of the book is one originally owned by my grandfather. :blink: I recommend it highly.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Having received a copy of Old instruments used for extracting teeth by Sir Frank Colver from the library which I want to read and enter into my notes before it's due back, I have set all other books aside for the nonce.

Pelicans, forceps and toothkeys...oh my!

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Having received a copy of Old instruments used for extracting teeth by Sir Frank Colver from the library which I want to read and enter into my notes before it's due back, I have set all other books aside for the nonce.

Finished that as well as Pirate Latitudes by Crichton on the PiP trip. I was actually a bit disappointed with Pirate Latitudes. It read like a pretty standard fictional pirate story until the end when a little bit of the old Crichton page turning magic appeared. I believe I see why he didn't publish it right away when he finished it. He did a pretty nice job eschewing the movie conventions...well, for the most part. Could someone explain the factual construct behind the Kraken to me? Usually Crichton is pretty meticulous in the science part of his science fiction.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh, Patriot Pirates is one that I need to remember to add to me list!

Just finished The Strain, by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. True to del Toro's movies, it's creepy and atmospheric. But if you like typical, romantic style vampire stories, this is NOT for you. If you like your vampires as murderous bastards fit only for beheading, then join me in delight! These bloodsuckers have no capes, stay hidden during the day, don't sparkle and are not vegetarians. In fact, they don't even have toothy fangs. What they do have is a rabid virus that overtakes and rewrites the host DNA, so that to be sustained they must consume blood. In extremely large quantities. It's the first of a trilogy and it's fantastic thus far!

I just finished...

Stories in Stone, Travels Through Urban Geology by David B Williams.

It sounds like it would be very dry reading, but it was quite fascinating, and the author mixes the history of stone used for buildings, with the actual geologic history of the stone. Among many interesting words used in the text was this one: Depauperate. I couldn't find it in the dictionary, but by its use in the text, I assume it must be a geologist's term for a time/era with no plant or animal life.

He had a very interesting and entertaining chapter on Coquina, a stone made of compressed clam shells, and how its use in the Spanish fort at St. Augustine, Florida saved the fort from being taken, in 1702, by an attack from English pirates. The stone's porous nature absorbed the shock of the cannon balls, rather than shattered, thus defeating the English bombardment.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 1 month later...

Ok been gone a minute but I've got a new trackball for the BB and I'm good to go. Recently I've read

Write it when I'm gone, A collection of off the record conversations with Gerald Ford. A very good read, not a bio or a policy overview but possibly the best glance into the mans mind written.

Liberty, The life and times of six women in revolutionary France. Again a great read and both these books came from the dollar tree.

Cruel Doubt (abriged) standard true crime murder read with a strange D&D hangup

No Minor Chords (abriged) fun look into Hollywoods music from 48 to 63.

An Arctic Mystery by Jules Verne (Audio Book from Librivox) not Vernes best but good and the reading is ok

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

I'm still traipsing through John Atkin's The Navy Surgeon; Or, Practical System of Surgery. I'm almost done with it, but I'm in no hurry. In fact, I'll probably be shelving Atkins for the nonce because I just received The Memoirs of Pierre Labat 1693-1705 - translated by John Eaden. It came though inter-library loan, so it has a firm due date. (So I have to read it and enter my notes from it into the computer before then. Thus, Atkins must wait.)

I'm also reading my Spanish Textbook, Puntos en Breve, which was apparently written by a committee.

Mission_banner5.JPG

In my rather meandering fashion, I am re-reading the Frank Herbert "Dune" series... Currently at the third in the series "Children of Dune". I also recently picked up a 40 or 50 year old facsimile reprint of a late 1690s diary of the experiences of an English doctor (forget the name) on his travels in Paris. I plan to loan(or perhaps give) this to Mission once I am completed.

Michael_banner.jpg

What?! Who is it? Oh, bliss! When can I get it? Can we make copies when I see you this weekend?

Mission_banner5.JPG

What?! Who is it? Oh, bliss! When can I get it? Can we make copies when I see you this weekend?

It is the diary of Martin Lister, the book is titled "A Journey To Paris In the Year 1698" editted and annotated by Raymond Phineas Stearns. It's a 300 page book, so copying it won't likely be of much good. But I can bring it with me this weekend for you to paruse... I should be done reading it by the time I see you in May, so I can pass it on at that point.

Michael_banner.jpg

Just finished Jules Verne's the Master of the World. Good book good reader on Librivox (I'm pretty much doing free audio books exclusively now that I've caught up on TWIT episodes)

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Currently, I got a bit of a mix going on with me reading. Reading a Christmas present: "The Pirate Round: Early Eighteenth Century Maritime Navigation during the Golden Age of Piracy" by Richard Rutherford-Moore (read a library copy before, but this one's all mine)...also reading "Legionary: The Roman Soldiers Unofficial Manual", by Philip Matyszak (what wrote "Rome on 5 Denarius a Day")...and...

"The Essential Groucho"...because the only Marxism worth a spit is Groucho Marxism. Go ahead...*ask* me why-a duck.

I pity the pirate crew that would have Groucho as captain. He'd confuse Jack Sparrow himself.

Edited by Capn Bob

Damn, thats sharp!

Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglass, an Autobiography.

A Salty Piece of Land, by Jimmy Buffet

Yes, quite the dichotomy . . .

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."