Whydah Cartridge Box Replica

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, thank ye folks for the kind compliments, I am very happy that you are pleased with your cartridge boxes! As an added note, I try to get them made as quickly as I can, but it's just me making them all by hand, and it gets hard sometimes wrestling the orders around my mundane job and family and other stuff, but my pledge to all the brethren is that I will ALWAYS fill your orders as fast as I can...I will NOT forget anyone! That's a promise! Thank you all for your business, I sincerely appreciate you all! :o

Well...

As I have been waiting over two years for my order...

And more than one promise that I'll have it ' in a week or two'...

Several PM's on here that have been read and not replied to...

You be the judge...

Two years...? Wow.

That's an uncommonly long time to be made to wait. Meanwhile he's been working on a Scottish sinclair saber for himself and a fighting knife for a client over the last few months. He also made a lovely cartridge box for Jeff MacKay back in July and one for some fellow named Sam back in June. Add to that the many projects he's working on over at the Black Spot Armory and he simply doesn't have the time to make a Whydah box.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Please let it be known that Sam made th' Cartridge box fer Sam back in June.

I be that fellow Sam. I made th' box with me own two hands.

Midnight was just showing me how to sew on th' toggle, s'all.

'Til the Morrow,
Cap'n Bloody Sam Rackham
Captain o' The Cursed Few
Co Organizer o' The Southern Pirate Festival
Ship's Carpenter o' The Atlanta Pirates & Wenches Guild

Member of Order of Leviathan 2nd Generation

Look mates, allow me to set the record straight. There has been no exchange of money between Dorian Lasseter and myself in regards to one of my Whydah cartridge boxes. In trade for one of my cartridge boxes, Mr. Lasseter sent me a simple small wooden fid which was not much more than a sharpened stick, and it had a small pewter St. Barbara medal attached to its end with a length of artificial sinew. Neither item in and of itself, nor together, were equal to the value of one of the Whydah boxes, but I agreed to make one for Dorian simply because I want him to have one of the cartridge boxes. Yes, I am overdue in getting it out,and I sincerely regret that, and I apologize for it, but the box is nearly complete as I write this. I will post photos of it this evening to show its progress.

Mr. Red Wake, since when do you presume to have any idea when any item in my shop was crafted, and furthermore, what business is it of yours for that matter? For your information, probably 95 % of the items that I have posted pics of in my shop were made several years ago, some as many as ten years or more. Some of them I have just recently gotten around to uploading the pics of. If I have completed any orders before anyone else, it is because those orders were paid for in cash and put food on my table, savvy? Sam is also correct in his post above, in the photo Mr. Lasseter linked to, I am demonstrating a method of attaching a toggle to a cartridge pouch that Sam manufactured himself, not me.

The only thing you, Mr. Lasseter and Mr. Red Wake, will end up accomplishing with what you are doing right now is to succeed in pissing me off enough that I will simply send the little wooden "stick" back to Mr. Lasseter and sell this cartridge box when I finish it to recover what I have in it. Attacking me and even going so far as to question or ridicule my religious beliefs will not succeed in achieving what you want with me. Mr. Lasseter, I want you to have the cartridge box, and I want you to enjoy it. They are handy little cartridge boxes to be sure. Again, I offer my apologies for the extreme delay in getting it to you. I am man enough to admit my wrong for taking so long, and I am working hard to finish it now to make things right if I can.It is the last Whydah box I will ever make for anyone, and if you still want it, I will have it done this weekend and shipped by early in next week. If not, I can send your stick and medal back. Just let me know, as I am fine with whatever you decide.

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

It is as simple as this. Midnight and I set up an agreement, one handmade item for another. The simple stick, as he calls it, is a fid I handcrafted with no modern tools out of Brazilian Walnut, to his specifications. I made sure he received it in a timely fashion, and added the medal as an extra piece. A Saint Barbara's Medallion to protect him as he was headed to Iraq. In emails he praised how perfect it was and how much he appreciated that I got it to him so quickly. Promised me that I would have the Whydah box soon. I have sent him emails and PMs on the pub over the last couple years, wondering what was happening. On the pub, when a message is sent, you can see when the person read your message so I know he got them, but ignored them. A little communication goes a long way. Had Midnight even dashed off a one line response to any of these inquiries... Of the responses I have gotten, apologies have been made and accepted, and promises that I would receive the box within a month were given, but that was about a year ago...

Edit; Looking back through my messages, this past May I was assured I would get it within a months time.

As for questioning or ridiculing his beliefs... I don't know who may have done so, but it was not I. I will admit that I have questioned his character since I have had no replies to my inquiries...

All I've wanted was for him to honour the agreement. I have taken his word every time that he would send me the shot box 'soon'.

Now I will make my apologies to the Pub and its patrons that this came to a head publicly.

Yrs&c,

Dorian Lasseter

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

You left us to our assumptions by your inaction.

More akin to presumptuousness than assumption on your part, sir.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

ENOUGH! I will not let this degenerate any further. Be nice or I will remove the topic.

Hawkyns, Moderator

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I intended to post these last night, but the batteries in my camera were dead and needed to be charged overnight. Cartridge box is nearly finished; the stiffening slats for the flap are almost all stitched in here. The toggle button and its loop still need to be dyed and attached, and the wooden box glued into place inside the leather shell, and just a little bit of touch-up with black dye where the leather needed to be trimmed a little. Dorian, it will be finished this weekend and shipped no later than Thursday of this upcoming week. I am sincerely and deeply sorry for any inconvenience and worry I have caused you by my tardiness in getting your project finished, and I hope that you may find it in your heart to forgive me for my wrong.

WhydahBox1.jpg

WhydahBox2.jpg

(1945)

Thank You very much! I look forward to owning this magnificent accoutrement, and yes, of course, as I have in the past, I do accept your apology.

I'm not going to make some kind of speech or play on words. Sh*t happens, patience grows short, tempers flair. Wrongs get righted and the world becomes a better place. It's all good.

Blessings to all,

Yrs&c,

Dorian

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

I am sorry too, Dorian. Very much so. I offer my sincerest apologies to you, to William, and to anyone else who I may have offended. I spoke with rashness and haste, and I regret every word. I had no right to be angry with anyone but myself, because I alone am to blame for all of this. I will be mailing your package tomorrow; I have finished your cartridge box, but I am including a couple of extra little things that you may like as well. I hope they may be of some use and interest to you and I hope that when you see them you will know that I am sorry and truly wish that we may be friends again.

(1945)

As a final note to this...

Cap'n Midnight,

I received a package today, let me say I couldn't be more pleased.

The Whydah shot box is wonderful. Thank You.

And on top of that, the extras you sent as an apology, a costrel and a rigging knife. I am humbled...

When we meet I'll buy a round so we might toast each others health.

Yrs&c

Dorian

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

As a final note to this...

Cap'n Midnight,

I received a package today, let me say I couldn't be more pleased.

The Whydah shot box is wonderful. Thank You.

And on top of that, the extras you sent as an apology, a costrel and a rigging knife. I am humbled...

When we meet I'll buy a round so we might toast each others health.

Yrs&c

Dorian

Dorian, I am the one that is humbled, mate. I am blessed by the kindness and patience you showed me, and even more blessed to call you my friend. I am so very glad you like your package, I hope the items will serve you well. Careful with that rigging knife, it will take and hold a razor's edge, as it is tempered tool steel from Switzerland. It is my version of a British MOD rigging knife, only I gave my version a mahogany grip with brass bolsters. Merry Christmas, brother! ;)

(1945)

...I do love me a happy ending :P

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow