D Handle Bowie

Quartermaster James

It strikes me that the D Handle Bowie, popular in the American Civil War, is much like many GAoP blades.

Museum Replicas sells one that reminds me of the "long knife" concept. They also have a Revolutionary War period rifleman's long knife that caught my eye.

Would either of these be a justifiable addition to a GAoP kit?

It strikes me that the D Handle Bowie, popular in the American Civil War, is much like many GAoP blades.

Other than the clip point, that makes it look SOOOOOO much like a Bowie.

The Rifleman's knives (the ones with antler grips) are closer, but the antler grip does kinda place them in a specific location... (well used by longhunters...)

Check some of these out.... (Just ignore the ones with quill work and obvous Indain additions/embelishments....)

http://www.lanouvelle-france.com/beltknives.html

Dang... they look just like a Kitchen Knife..... :P

Other than the clip point, that makes it look SOOOOOO much like a Bowie.

Okay...since this discussion is taking place, let me clarify:

It's actually Atlanta Cutlery that has the blades of which I spoke. I get them mixed up with their sister operation frequently, although they don't necessarily cross stock all items.

Here's the link to their D Guard Bowie D Guard Bowie

It looks like it might have a partially sharpened back edge, but not what I'd call a clip point. I like the 18' blade length for "about town" wear.

Here's the other: Rifleman's knife

It seems to have more of a clip point; in a sort of "proto-Bowie" way.

Since I've brought up the subject of Museum Replicas/Atlanta Cutlery pieces, what's the word on the period appropriatness of their soon to be re-released Dutch Cutlass?

Finally, how's the rum & cocoa experiment coming? Should we start a new thread for it?

I'm sticking with "no."

:P

And this from a guy who owns a really nice, long, rifleman's knife.

Experiment is going nicely!!! Another thread??? maybe... I'm getting ready for tomorrow night... have 99% of my stuff on right now... will probably have pics to post by Monday.

Back to the knife... I don't know of any clipped point knives dating to our era. I will spend some time digging around though.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Blackjohn

(who is at present conducting very serious experiments with cocoa powder and 2 gills of rum!)

The pirate version of chocolate milk... :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I'm sticking with "no."

:ph34r:

And this from a guy who owns a really nice, long, rifleman's knife.

Experiment is going nicely!!!  Another thread??? maybe... I'm getting ready for tomorrow night... have 99% of my stuff on right now... will probably have pics to post by Monday.

Back to the knife... I don't know of any clipped point knives dating to our era.  I will spend some time digging around though.

No worries mate, I'm still hearing the "no" loud & clear...

Getting kit together, as I am sure you know, is not without cost; I am trying to adhere to the "measure twice, cut once rule". Especially after my new found "tankard" turned out to be a pewter two gill measure! Oh well, wouldn't be the first thing a pyrate knicked from the kitchen! :ph34r:

So, about the cocoa powder & rum experiment...are you mixing and drinking, or steeping and straining? In short, a drink recipe or a flavored rum?

Now I'm off to search the forum for advice on a proper period frog.

BTW: what's the event this weekend?