Pyrate Camp 2007

Patrick Hand

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote would be for 1720. That would coincide with the tryal of the women.

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hey Harry,

Would there not be an option for both the Buccaneer and GAOP eras? Our crew could do Bucaneer over by where out shop was this year...and the other folks stay in their front corner. Aside from being Mary for the Trial, Hurricane and I know all about Port Royal and the pyrate trade pre 1692 and can bring maps, displays, etc to go with our encampment... if we are pushed into GAOP we'll be a lot more boring, just essentially setting up camp....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I want to define what I mean when I’m talking about “Pyrate Camp”.

The Pyrate Camp is the back corner inside of the Fort, where we can set-up a period camp for the public to “view” 1715 or 1720 Pyrate Life.

It is NOT the rest of the Fort. The rest of the Fort would have the 1675 to 1720 time setting.

Diosa, will you and your crew be setting up an actual campaign camp (Morgan and his boucanieres on the way to Panama, Maricaibo etc.) or will you be using an archway of Fort Zachary Taylor (FZT) as a backdrop for a "presence,” Morgan and his retinue at home, probably in one of the better homes in Port Royal? Either way, we will send anyone who shows an interest in Morgan or Port Royal that direction. If someone shows up doing a credible Blackbeard, Kidd, Rackham or Roberts we’ll do the same for them, too.

Our camp is envisioned as both demonstration area and home for the duration of the event. In order to do that and do it well we have to keep to a specific date and a population of anonymous pyrates from an unknown ship. We have no desire to interfere or exclude anyone doing a representation of an historic entity outside of that time.

Incidentally, if you have enough crew, and are planning to set up an actual boucaniere camp with smokers would that would be very Informative. Two camps with differing time frames would serve to highlight the differences at the beginning and at the end of the Age. Patrick has done lots of research on boucanieres and would, I’m sure, be glad to share.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

While I will side with the majority, I do have a dissenting offer to make regarding the time period of the encampment. With so many of the Watch Dog's crew hoping to attend this next year, might we consider 1704, since that is the time period many of us write about all year long?

Just a thought. I like being smack dab in the middle of the GOAP.

That said, I'm glad the overall festival has chosen to do a wide period of time set in the GOAP. Now...somebody find us a very rich and eccentric benefactor, so that we might employ every good idea for 2007.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Speaking of camp, now that we have decided on 1720, (written while the above was being posted, not trying to shut ye down mate) we need a ship name. Here are a few for your consideration:

Shark

Revenge (lots of those at the time)

Speedwell (the ship that first took the Pilgirims to England before boarding the mayflower)

Damned Compass might explain why were careening in Key West

Posideon

Jewel

Just a few. Any more nominations?

3ff66f1f.jpg

might we consider 1704, since that is the time period many of us write about all year long?

Dang... that is a good point... The people posting on the Watch Dog will know the time period....(1704)

My Pyrate stuff is from 1715, but it all still period for 1720, Like I said, 1720 ties us in with the Trial that they do.... Our clothing and equipment will fit in for 1720, it's just up-dating our knowledge of the period......

I was thinking of starting a post in Capt. Twill about what Pyrates from 1720 would know.... I figure I have to "brush-up" on the period.....

might we consider 1704, since that is the time period many of us write about all year long?

But how many of them will be going? There were a lot of "I'll be theres" from many here for this year, but it was left to three or four to do the work when others couldn't make it for lack of funds, lack of time or other reasons.

I'm loathe to stick those who actually showed up this year and will definitely be there again next year with the decisions of those who may or may not, or will but then don't. I think more than 10 or so here on pyracy baled out in the last month or two before the festival... an abandoning ship if you will.

Far better to make a decision based on what will happen at the fort for sure (the tryal is the centerpiece) than a convenient time period for those who find a time convenient and may not show.

And don't get me wrong. I don't care. Just been part of PiP long enough to know (and I think Cascabel and others can back me up) that a lot of bold plans are made and then it's left to those who always go to make them happen... I remember three years ago painting signs for the grounds into a long hot afternoon because the person who said they'd do them and then cancelled.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Captain Jim,

We would be setting up a camp. We have not put together the scenario, but it would be A. as a place to stay on grounds and then B. for educational purposes. It will also be up to what Harry would like and where he would like it.... I'll go with his thoughts....

As you may know , there is a smoked pig for the final night, and if Ant and the other guys who are doing that would like to set it up in our area to slow roast, we're all over that.... works for me! That would also be up to Harry's discretion though as he may or may not want that going on in his fort grounds... He does have to be able to clean everything up and have an open fort the day after we wrap up camp on Sunday.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I still think 1720, notwithstanding the handsome, lovely and always talented crew of the 'Dog. Gives us 16 more years of pyrates and their escapades we can talk about to the gathering horde of patrons. And it ties into the tryal. Most of the pyrates that were last to go down were active in 1720, so we can talk about the "successful" pyrates that were still working at that time. Generally I think that later is easier than earlier as we in camp can talk about how well things are going and yet hint at the growing threat to our livelihood that is the English navy.

I also agree with Patrick that a “Pyracy 101” class primer in either the Twill or Pirates in Paradise sections is in order. An outline of the origins of the growth of pyracy in this time frame and highlights of the more famous pyrates along with an outline of the living conditions, articles, crew structure and contributions to history as they are now understood would be helpful so that we humble pyrates can talk to the patrons from the same page.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Generally I think that later is easier than earlier as we in camp can talk about how well things are going and yet hint at the growing threat to our livelihood that is the English navy.

I like the foreshadowing aspect of the historical timeline in 1720. The growing distaste for pirates in the eyes of the British... Good idea!!!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Again, we're looking at an expanded period of between 1675 and 1725. I would hope that can encompass as many interpretations and impressions as possible.

If the crew that camped in '06 would like to stick to 1720, that's okay. Hurricane and crew can do their period. And William and crew can do 1704.

I don't see a problem with a set up like that. That will allow for numerous interpretations for the visitors. But, when we do the trial, the time period is 1720 since that's when that actually happened.

In Civil War reenacting, we have only a four-year period to portray. But, uniforms did change after 1862, so there is a school of thought out there that doesn't want to see uniforms from the 1861 period. I don't subscribe to that school of thought.

We also have to ask ourselves just how much credit are we going to give to the visitors to exactly what period we're doing? I'll wager that the general public when thinking of pirates is most familiar with Blackbeard and couldn't tell you about any other pirates, ships or anything else from the period.

My point is: The general public will be interested in whatever period we show them. So, why not offer up three distinct periods?

Also, when planning, don't worry about what will need cleaning up or whatever. I'll have staff and volunteers available to make the place look like nobody was in there. Our local planning committee will make sure of that. The folks working with me on this are charged up and want to bring the event back to the level that it used to be. We've already had one meeting and will meet again tomorrow.

My vote for a ship name is: Damned Compass. Fits right in with the Key West "thought process."

Harry

Fort Taylor.org

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

I couldn't agree more Harry. The more we present, the more it will capture the imaginations of a wider swath of public. To many, pirates are pirate are pirates. It's our job is to educate and enlighten them through what we do. And the wider the period the more education we can do.

Damned Compass. Damned fine name there and very KW. As long as it doesn't point north.

:lol:

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Shark

Revenge (lots of those at the time)

Speedwell (the ship that first took the Pilgirims to England before boarding the mayflower)

Damned Compass might explain why were careening in Key West

Posideon

Jewel

Tiburón = Shark in Spanish.....

Posideon, just kind of reminds me of that movie.... and I'm not sure if I would want to sign on a ship named "Damned Compass"... It sounds to much like "that compass that dosen't point North... but were not trying to go North...." Too POtC..... :lol: Revenge is cool, but it seems slightly overused....

A name with some aditude would be OK, but not something silly.

Shark or Tiburón

Speedwell

Jewel

Hey... we just started on the name of the ship.... so I'm sure there are other ideas....

thanks will ...i know what my plans were and what changed them ...and that's all i can do ....figured i'd rather be able to make it home either from surgery or from KW but couldn't do both this year ....but got a new clockwork in m' chest and they told me it's got a good warranty on it so i should be able to be there next year and a few more after that!!! ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::huh:

and who knows i just be coming down with a new bride in tow :o:o:o

Seems th' name Shark is a likeable one... In english n' spanish... how 'bout french?

Requin (Ray-quin or Re-keen, hard to do the right inflection here)

Or...

Vigilante

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I kind of like Speedwell.

Tiburón = Shark in Spanish.....I don't think that an English crew would name their ship in Spanish...hold on...unless to terrify Spaniards..thought of that in mid sentence. Possibility.

Callenish, next year will be better.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Here's a place to look for a name....

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/boats.htm

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org