My pirate bar

I already have a bar in my basement, but it's not piratical enough for me. Everyone else seems to be impressed, but a few bits of swag and some seashells aren't nearly enough for me. I'm thinkin bout rebuilding the bar and laminating some jewels, piece's o' eight and various other baubles to the top, and I have a couple other ideas in progress. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, I'm tryin to think of how to make a piratical beer pong table :P

Any bits of inspiration will be most appreciated! :o

You'd need to distress it a bit. Nothin shiny and new would do. How about some of those glass fishnet floats as well. Don't know if they'ree "period" but they're nautical and old.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Out of nowhere, these days, there are actually 'plans' for backyard/den tiki/lounge bars. Hooda thunk it? I'm in my late 40s, and grew up in and around the later fringe of the "Tiki" scene. My parents used to have basement parties(you know: martinis/drunken card games/low cut blouses/drunken yentas and fat portagees)up north, I may never be the same. Still, the internet is vast! I buy a lot of ebay carved tikis worldwide. Consume! Tinis up!

Here's ta' swimmin' wit' loose limbed women....

Iffen ah'm drunk ta' tha' brink, do prop me up, me darlin'...

But iffen ah'm anywhere near bein' sober ta' me gills, do buy me a drink!

• 2 weeks later...

We bought a house back in the summer, and our housewarming party was a tiki party! Target had these two fantastic tiki statues for sale, and they now adorn the gazebo.

The house was built in '74, and the den is finished in a Tudor half-timber style. It's just begging to be turned into a tavern. In fact, a guy on the pirate brethren forum was able to send me plans for a cage bar. Wooo! Now it's just a matter of time and money...

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Time and money.... hmmmm why do they always sound like dirty words? :lol:

Boy some of you folks have it made... I think my spouse would give me that look "You want to do what to the house!?!" :o:o

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Target has a lot of cool Tiki stuff at times - Party City as well if there be one in yer corner o the world

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Hmmm...

Fer some decor, ye need a draught of a ship or two... I know this gentleman who has some nice ones for sale, goode price too...

Aye, time & money... I have a small room in th' basement of our house that I turned into "Ships quarters"... looked grande, until other stuff has spilled into the room....

Luck to you on yer 'fun space'...

:rolleyes:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Time and money.... hmmmm why do they always sound like dirty words? :huh:

Boy some of you folks have it made... I think my spouse would give me that look  "You want to do what to the house!?!"  :huh:   :huh:

:huh:

Time and Money are very dirty words for this pirate. The chest has been a little light since we bought our house in April. One of these days I will try to finish the basment area I have claimed as my own, but those nasty things call time and money keep reering their heads.

:huh:

Time and Money are very dirty words for this pirate.

Overtime and credit card was my antidote of the fix yar havin.. We will always have bills of demand... But ye want it now It's what I had to do.... then again allow it to be fun and not a chore of having to "get it done." Look At What you want and treat it as a hobby... In tyme you'll have the space of envy and appreciation for Pyrates. post some pics.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

First time poster here...

Here's my "Tiki" bar. It's not pure tiki, and has many other influences within its confines, including shades of Foxy's Tamarind on Jost Van Dyke, Doc's Beach House in Bonita Beach, FL, and others. I'm still trying to locate decently priced fireproof thatch for the "roof", which you can see is already reeded. I have a crab trap for the ceiling over the bar return which will house lights and glass racks. the ceiling will be painted the same color as the walls, and the back wall will be wallpapered with a tropical mural. The flooring was chosen to look like sand. The "roof" rafters were made from recycled shelves from our home renovation, beaten up with chains and sanded to look weathered. Since installation, the flat wooden spaces you see up against the ceiling, between the rafters, have had clear lexan installed, with surf stickers sandwiched between the the lexan pieces and the wood, making it unneccesary for me to stick the stickers directly to the wood, but still allowing me to display them. I've also added the Target tikis.

These pictures are a little over a year old. There have a been a few changes, but not much. It's kind of a stagnant project until I find the thatch. I'm also planning on some fake timbers to give the roof/ceiling a hand-hewn pub/tiki/marauder/parrothead bar look.

tikibar1.jpg

tikibar3.jpg

tikibar4.jpg

Very nice Bar, fellow Bilge Rat. It looks like the Ghost of some Pirate in the first photo! Great job, will watch to see what else you come up with.

Missed that last plank walkin'? Well, don't worry mate, get one of these here hidden clocks. Pin it on, flip it down and be right on time to see that scurvy dog go down!

Pillagers%20badge1.JPGwww.ClipClocks.com Many themes to choose from!

great pics!, I too, want a Pirate/Tiki Bar......

I saw some great stoneware Tiki Mugs while looking for Antiques this past week.....I'll have to pick 'em up sometime.....

I want more of a "Pirate" look though, which means more rum (and Captain Morgan Items), as well as parrots, and Jimmy Buffet type stuff......

but I think it'll be fun, when I finally get started on it......

unfortunately, I must first relocate to a new place, as I have no room to do it where I currently live.......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

• 1 month later...

Captn Hellraiser,

Have you done any work on your basement Pyrate bar yet? The previous suggestion of using a map encased under the marine varnish/resin for your bar sounds great. I don't know the map the previous poster mentioned...but an olde map of the world sounds terrific...like the one being painted on Beckett's wall. If you have room you can add more trinkets within the resin such as coins as you mentioned, old love letters, lyrics to pyrate/sailing songs on parchment in olde english, smaller treasure maps drawn on leather for example, pictures of old sailing ships, pictures of chests, pictures of old sea sailors, pictures of tatoos, old rings, pearls, dried kelp/seaweed, sand and/or shells, compass. I don't know if you live along a coastline..but in the old days you could find a gazilion things at the Sea Shell shops.

Of course distress any or all to make look old as another poster mentioned as well.

Those glass sea floats are great...pricey as well!!!

Keep us abreast.... :lol:

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Oh since I read this post...I remembered some great Tiki Hut Houses that I saw at the Home and Garden show last year. I don't know if this was the vendor I saw but it is close. The first picture is my favorite design. The one we sat in could accomodate about 10 to 15 people for sure...bench going all the way around a huge table in the center and I thought it would be neat to have those mini Bose speakers hidden on each of the four posts.....

Tiki Bar

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Time and money.... hmmmm why do they always sound like dirty words? :ph34r:

Boy some of you folks have it made... I think my spouse would give me that look  "You want to do what to the house!?!"   :huh:   :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Time and Money are very dirty words for this pirate. The chest has been a little light since we bought our house in April. One of these days I will try to finish the basment area I have claimed as my own, but those nasty things call time and money keep reering their heads.

Aye, not sure if I should be sad or not... The spouce in question is leaving me... Now I have the place and not the cash...

Oh well I will have my Pirate cove yet!.

• 2 weeks later...
Captn TradeWind...so sorry to hear about that. Well when you are done with your bar I suggest having an ENORMOUS PYRATE PARTY.!!!! :lol::lol::lol::huh: :) :)

Thank you, that be a long and strange story...

Once my pirate bar (if I keep the house) or my apartment, I might just have to do that and invite all pirates from all over to sail in for an evening or three. :)