Pirate Movie Dream Casting

Hester

I'm hoping the success of PotC123 will inspire more pirate movies in the near future.

If you were making your own pirate movie, who would you cast as your Pirate Captain?

My first pick would be a young Kris Kristofferson:

214104.jpg

Then again, even at 70, he's looking pretty good. If Keith Richards can play Jack Sparrow's dad in PotC3, then why not have Kris as Jack's American uncle in PotC4:

Kris-Kristofferson-nw02.jpg

Anyhow ... looking forward to seeing other's dream choices for casting a pirate king (or queen) in a hypothetical movie.

Cheers, Hester

N[ow] P[laying]: James Yorkston, "I know my love"

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

My next choice would be Stuart Townsend:

FAB9.JPG

He could just recycle most of his wardrobe from Queen of the Damned into pirate gear -- lots of brocade and lace.

Hmmm... why not make it a Vampire Pirate movie!

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Oh, aye! Workin' on it, milass! Workin' on it! :ph34r:

It's a bit trite, I realize, but Billy Connolly still be me first choice ta play me captain in th' first one I'm workin' on. He's got aboout th' right build (an' th' right nose) fer 'im, an', most important, th' right accent, a' native-like. It be an 'istorical, bio-pic, but right excitin' it be, an' a much more intriguing plot than th' legends.

Th' other movie script I'm workin' on be from th' perspective o' the' Navy, rather than pirate - but still will hae a great lot o' *boom*, fer th' fans o' explosions an' bits o' stuff flyin' everywhere. Another 'istorical, like the first, an' tha', again, more than legend.

Still, I hae a confession tha' Alan Rickman would make a right lovely pirate, thoo. An' drawn enoo' he seem ta be ta th' period movies what allows 'im to wear th' long and lovely broad-skirted coats! Born ta wear 'em 'e is, an' by judgin' by th' way 'e moves in 'em, I can tell 'e loves to make 'em float an' swing an' swish, a' pretty-like!

Gotrum.jpgSignature.jpg

Hi, Rinalda:

Billy Connolly would make a good pirate! I enjoyed his performance in Timeline. And speaking of well-draped fabric swishing prettily about male hips ... will you be dressing this native Glaswegian in a kilt for your bio-pic?

And Alan Rickman would make a wonderful villainous pirate. He thoroughly chewed up the scenery in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves -- almost in protest of Kevin Costner's wooden performance. [Which reminds me -- I've never seen Waterworld. I wonder how piratey it is?]

Best wishes on your screenwriting!

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Hmmm... actors named Billy, swanning about in period costume ... why not cast Billy Crudup in a pirate movie:

billycrudup250.jpg

He could be an Elizabethan Sea Hawk.

Cheers, Hester ... liking her crew so far!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

At the risk of veering this thread off it's seemingly intended "soft focus - leading man" ideas, the gritty, noir pirate film I'd make would have perhaps Tim Roth or Robert Carlyle as pirate captains. Or Gary Oldman. Or perhaps Clive Owen. :lol:

Oh, yes Robert Carlyle ... he was terrific in Plunkett & Macleane:

pm3017.jpg

Highwaymen were just land pirates, after all.

Of course, I always find it odd to see Robert Carlyle in "gritty" roles, because I first became aware of him in the fluffy Hamish MacBeth series.

Clive Owen ... hmmm ... wonder what he would look like in long hair? I could certainly see him playing a villainous pirate, though.

And what's so soft-focus about Kris Kristofferson, anyway? His movie career practically screams "grit", baby!

Cheers, Hester

N[ow] P[laying] The Libertines, _Up the Bracket_ ... to drown out the incessant jingle of the ice-cream truck on the next block

"Bill Bones knows what I mean!"

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

LOL yeah yer right -- Kris isn't fluff!

Course neither is Heath for that matter, I guess it was just that particular shot of him.

David Warner is excellent. He'd be a great corrupt island governor.

Hester, was that still of Rob from Plunkett & MacClane? I don't recall that scene, but it's been awhile. Cool pic!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Hester, was that still of Rob from Plunkett & MacClane? I don't recall that scene, but it's been awhile. Cool pic!

Hi, Joshua:

Yes, that shot's from Plunkett & Macleane. I found it in a Google search.

It's been awhile since I saw that movie also, so I can't remember how this scene fits into the plot. Indeed, that's such a cool pic that I looked for P&M at the video store tonight, but they didn't have it. Guess I'll have to buy the DVD from Amazon to add to my library.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Ahoy Hester!

Ye be a piratess after me own heart an' kindred spirit in thought as well!

An' sadly....there be ne'er enough long haired kilted pirates t' go 'round.....

They be rare as good rum on a sinkin' pirate ship.....

:(

Fair winds t' ye......

An' let us set sail t' continue our search.....

~Foxmorton

As fer yer question though.....I can think o' no better pirate cap'n than Tim Curry.......(though not from that Muppet movie....he'd haf' t' be creatin' a more....Curry-ish.....pirate! An' I know given th' chance he could do it.......)

'Course....nay ship can sail wit'out Robert Newton aboard.......

I can think o' no better pirate cap'n than Tim Curry.......(though not from that Muppet movie....he'd haf' t' be creatin' a more....Curry-ish.....pirate! An' I know given th' chance he could do it.......)

Hi, Mimi:

I do love Tim Curry singing "Professional Pirate"!

And did you read the post on the young pirate wannabes in England who were lost at sea and got mistaken for Rocky Horror fans by their rescuers?

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticl...ticleID=1666958

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Sean Connery.

Ramirez.jpg

Although casting Connery as the Bad Guy pirate would be really, really cool.

Someone else already picked David Warner...

...and Lance Henriksen has already appeared in a pirate movie --wait -- that does not eliminate him from MINE! So I would also cast Henriksen:

lance1.gif

But I would also have to include Alan Rickman... One of my favorite all-time actors.

10103069A~Alan-Rickman-Robin-Hood-Posters.jpg

(sorry about these images -- these are the best examples I could find to forward my point)

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Oh yes Alan Rickman for sure! This man can do it all! :huh:

I'd also like to see Ioan Gruffudd and Jamie Bamber....wait a minute they were on the good side in Horatio Hornblower...would be interesting to put these two on the bad side.

Robert Englund, now that's an idea...and he can have his Freddy claws as a hand instead of a pegleg. I'd even throw in Tim Allen for laughs. :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, having Englund in a pirate movie as a character with an authentic hook would be a very clever cinematic in-joke...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Welp.... they cast Jason Isaacs as Captain Hook. And my GOD was he a FANTASTIC Hook! ;)

But... to turn this a wee bit around... actually is someone would be cast as my pirate persona... oddly enough.. my first choice would be Shania Twain.

Anadefensive.jpg

Now, knowing her... she wouldn't go for it. So... my second choice would be Catherine Zeta-Jones since she's a very close 2nd.

catherine_zeta_jones_catherine_the_.jpg

All the other actresses I would have choosen are .. well... dead.

Just can't seem to pick out anyone else at the moment. Haven't given it much thought really.

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

...and Lance Henriksen has already appeared in a pirate movie

Hi, Capt. Pete:

That would be the recent Pirates of Treasure Island, then?

I haven't seen it, but I'm thinking of ordering the DVD from Amazon.

Could you give us a brief review of the movie?

Thanks, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Oh, aye! "Gazza" Oldman would be a treat!

I hadn'a thought of putting milad in a kilt. But, never saw a paintin' of him in one, is like to be why it never occurred. There be one of him in a fashionable wig and right pretty red justaucorps with a gold sash, though. But what he wore in his earlier years are about as well recorded as what he did then (which is to say, there be bupkus....).

Jean Reno could be amusing, though he's probably better known fer his soft-spoken types.... And Jeremy Irons I'd like to see in such a movie, but I see him better in th' Navy, ta be honest.

Gotrum.jpgSignature.jpg

I hadn'a thought of putting milad in a kilt. But, never saw a paintin' of him in one, is like to be why it never occurred. There be one of him in a fashionable wig and right pretty red justaucorps with a gold sash, though. But what he wore in his earlier years are about as well recorded as what he did then (which is to say, there be bupkus....).

Hi, Rinalda:

Can you reveal who you real-life Scottish pirate protagonist is, or do you need to keep that info a trade secret for now?

I love the expression "There be bupkus". I have a friend who is a historian in a field where there are often great gaps in the extant documentation. I think she'd enjoy using that phrase as a description of some of her exhaustive yet frustratingly unproductive reviews of the primary sources.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

That would be the recent Pirates of Treasure Island, then?

I haven't seen it, but I'm thinking of ordering the DVD from Amazon.

Could you give us a brief review of the movie?

No, I cannot. I saw it at Blockbuster, but was out-voted on which family movie we were going to rent. So I have not seen it, either. But I want to get it myself.

If I rent it, I will say a thing or two about it. If you get it, let me know.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Gerard Butler as William Kidd.

Oh, YES! But, with the wild curls and close-cropped beard he wore in Timeline:

timeline13.jpg

Cheers, Hester

P.S.: Rinalda, he's got a Glaswegian accent!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg