Your Pirate kit

capnwilliam

We crew of Ye Pyrate Brotherhood be bloody Buccaneers, circa 1666.

Meself I wear a knee-length hunting frock of black calfskin, leather waistcoat, ruffled silk shirt with pearl buttons and ruffled stock, fringed sash, a variety of knee-breeches, knee-high bucket boots, and broad-brimmed Spanish cavalier hat with red and black ostrich plumes. I carry a double-edged dagger (always), English Dragoon pistol in .61 caliber, and depending on the engagement, either a Dutch cutlass or English Mortuary sword, either one worn hung from a leather baldrick. Ye PB is based from a complete encampment including the Captain's Pavillion, a tavern built of boards, barrels and sailcloth, a trestle dining table, and surgeon's tent with instruments o' the Art. We also have a small cannon on a Naval carriage, and a mounted swivel gun. :)

Capt. Ian "Mad Dog" Davies,

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

"The Code of Our Brotherhood is Better than all the Lies of Nations!"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, Capt. Davies, I'd nominate ye fer best-dressed buccaneer, to be sure! That's quite an outfit you and your group have; wish ye were homeported in New Orleans so I could come aboard.

What be a mortuary sword, by the way? :ph34r:

Many have fine personal kits but your group seems to have the best "pirate environment" (for lack of a better term)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Cap'n William: Meh heh heh, 'tis an important asset, it is :ph34r:

Thanks for th' date opinion, as well.

Yesterday I went plunderin' again... I found meself a right nice pair o' pinstripe pants that match me other colors.

Also, I fergot t' mention, me kit also includes a large pirate ship kite. Not a cutout profile, but a true 3D Ship. 'tis flown somewhat like a box kite.

Cap'n Davies: Aye that's a nice setup ye got there. One o' the best I'd imagine.

Good Plunderin', me lovelies!

~Dreamie~

"Ah, the city.. with all it's people and their accumulated wealth, yes?"

-Yoshimo

www.Dreamie.org

LilJackban.gif

Capt. William , I thank ye for your gracious compliments to meself and crew. New Orleans is one of me favorite places on Earth, and I'm tryin to get the crew to make a passage there one day, perhaps on the way to Pirates in Paradise. We'll be sure to send ye a signal if we do. To answer your question, a mortuary sword is a type of cage-hilted cavalry sword from around the mid to late 17th century. It has a tough straight blade that's good for cutting and thrusting alike. It's name was coined by 19th century collectors who thought the portrait often found engraved on the pommel was a representation of the excecuted King Charles I. This is strictly conjecture on their part, as no one really knows. To quote meself from an earlier posting, "a straight-bladed cavalry sword of the

period. It's light, fast, tough, short enough for use at sea, and long enough to keep an opponant at a safe killing distance in a tavern fight. It's capable of delivering a cut or thrust with equal effectiveness and has a cage guard of iron knuckle bars to both protect the hand and land a solid punch. Very nice indeed."

:ph34r:

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Dreamie, Darlin'

You've a serious fine look yerself, true to tell. What's more, ye seem to have the goods to back it up, not just alot o' smoke, but flames as well. Bloody good for you, sez I! I salute ye, and wish ye good fortune and rich prizes, to be sure.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Let's see, hmmm, I gots me a pair a musket pistols, a fairly nice cutlass, several pairs of pants, several 1600s era shirts, a pirate hat or two, a bandana or two dozen, one pair of wearable boots, another pair of highly vented boots but fixable maybe even wearable (I hope), etc....

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

El Pirata: Harharhar B) 'tis a rare occurrence... namely whenever a furry convention happens t' show up. It's not very common for me t' put on the nose.. it takes a mighty while. I'm not really into the whole furry thing meself... but they sure do like to buy art, ye see. B)

Cap'n Davies: Thank ye for the compliments, Cap'n. What's a Pirate without a little fire? Truth be told, I wish I had me some smoke **searches through blackpowder pistol replicas** MEH heh heh heh...

Any advise on such a matter?

Good Plunderin', me lovelies! B)

~Dreamie~

"Ah, the city.. with all it's people and their accumulated wealth, yes?"

-Yoshimo

www.Dreamie.org

LilJackban.gif

El Pirata: Harharhar B) 'tis a rare occurrence... namely whenever a furry convention happens t' show up. It's not very common for me t' put on the nose.. it takes a mighty while. I'm not really into the whole furry thing meself... but they sure do like to buy art, ye see. B)

I be not doubtin it.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

:lol: Ahoy Dreamie Darlin' :lol: ,

In my opinion the perfect "smoker" for ye would be one of Pedersoli's fine Queen Anne pistols. They're the right historic period design (Blackbeard loved 'em), are available in a selection of different finishes, well made, dependable, and beautiful to look at. You can see them for yerself at:

www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/p_pistols

Write back and let me know what ye think about 'em. If they don't suit yer taste, I'll try and recommend something else. Best regards.

:lol:

Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

My crew (The Pirate Brethren of Texas) dresses more towards the Hollywood stereotype. The gear I normally wear is:

* Black leather vest

* Black Wrap Pants

* Boots

* Head wrap

[Yes, I do go shirtless under the vest. I know it's not "period", but it's comfortable, and living in Texas, that's the important thing.]

When it's cold, I do add a peasant shirt to the garb.

When it comes to weapons, I have a [cap fire] pistol. I'm hoping to get a baldric made, and buy a cutlass to go with the garb.

Morick Towain

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Morick Towain

IBoRP #116

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Morick also mentioned wearing a peasant shirt, when it's cold. I'm wondering what ye pyrates wear when it's REALLY cold? (Or do ye just have enough good sense to stay home? :huh: )

The reason I ask is that I want to garb authentically for the Battle of New Orleans reenactment, which is held on the weekend closest to January 8, and while New Orleans is generally cool, at best, by Northern standards, there are days around that time of year when it does get cold - sub-freezing cold.

I wonder what an 1815 era seaman might have worn in such weather? B)

Capt. William

Morick also mentioned wearing a peasant shirt, when it's cold. I'm wondering what ye pyrates wear when it's REALLY cold? (Or do ye just have enough good sense to stay home?

Cold as in like 70s? Or ye be meanin cold like stateside cold? I prefer caribbean cold and if'n it's colder than that I waer the outer clothes of a pirate and the underclothes resembling snivle gear.

Hmmmm....

1815 sailor.... Linen, n' wool...

If ye can, 'ave a look-see at wot the sailors in Count of Monte Cristo are wearin'.... there ye go...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I be hatin to say it but I'll keep the appearance outside but have me snivle gear from the 21st century underneath. Brave men like the feel of nature, but the wise men have sense to dress warm.

Dorian, you jogged me old memory!

When I saw that excellent flick I sez to me wife, "now, there be some great images o' seafarin' men I could use for garbin' purposes," sez I, as true as Scripture I did! (Noting to her that this was just-about-exactly the era I was garbing for).

And then I clean forgot about it.

And then came Dorian to the rescue!

Aye, I'll have to rent "The Count" again, or buy it.

:huh:

Capt. William

• 3 weeks later...

:)

As for me mate, I'm just gettin started.

I have a bandanna and shirt with a string weaved chest.

I hope to have a good hat and vest come Christmas or soon there after.

I gotta Parrot for me shoulder and a skull ring too.

:unsure:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Moi aussi, mate! I'm a newbie at all this. Got a banadana; First Mate Jan has made me a shirt and a pair of striped seaman's trousers. I have a cutlass and baldric and a couple of seaman's knives (squared-off blades; a sheath knife and a folder).

Would like to get a flintlock; maybe a pistol, but a blunderbuss would be even better! :lol: Getting geared up for a couple of 1803 - 1815 era events here in New Orleans.

Capt. William

My garb consists of a black swordwoman's shirt, leather bodice, plack pants, black split skirt, leather boots to the knee, cavalier hat with feathers a plenty, and my belt which of course has pewter tankard, pouches (2) dagger (3).

My other set consists of black swordswoman shirt, burgundy leather jerkin, black tight, and black thigh high leather boots, cavalier hat with the feathers and my belt...

Privateers Guild #619

CTRF :www.ctfaire.com

PCRF

• 2 weeks later...

Wimps, WIMPS wit yer new fangled flintlockie things

Gimmee a good match, sword, and buckler

A few hogheads o dry sack

an twin teenage Albino cheerleaders with a taste fer the bizarre.........

..........but I digress

:rolleyes:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered