PiP 2006: What Would You Like To See?

Jib

I second the motion that William Red Wake become Pyrate Camp coordinator for PiP.... (hey ... he did such a good job last year....)

Second question.... Flying out to Pip, I really can't bring a lot of "props", But I can find some cool Pyrate stuff, ship it out, and donate it to the Fort........

But who would we send stuff/donations to?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other thread, "not too early...", I posted that for those who need poles to let me know how many and what sizes. I have a stack of lumber from my construction days that I can use to make them from. However, if you that are flying in would rather have a more period look than cut 2x4 lumber, the Ozarks breeds Cedar trees by the gazillions. If you want some Cedar poles, I need to know very soon so I can cut and strip them so they will be dry and all the sticky goo will be gone by the event. Also, what's the word on cooking? Do I need to bring the cast iron stuff for KP?

And the poles can be donated to the fort for future use. The Cedar will last practically forever, as it is bug proof and kept indoors, will not rot. There are trees down on the ground that have been there for several years exposed to the weather. They just don't rot quickly at all.

Let me know.

Also, what's the word on cooking? Do I need to bring the cast iron stuff for KP?

We should have a fire pit or two again, so plan on bringing cooking stuff. I love a good dutch oven and fire roasted food is divine. I know a place that sells 50 gallon copper kettles.

We could have a stew fit for an army.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I will gladly be the "Camp Pyrate" for PIP, but two things must be understood first.

First - The camp will be a period camp. This is not a mandate from me or anyone else here, but a request from the Friends of Fort Taylor. They want a period presence in the fort during the festival. So as a favor to them and us...bucket boots notwithstanding...we will try and make the camp as period as possible. I understand this will require some adjustments, costs and assignments, but I don't believe it will be difficult to accomplish. It should be understood that some liberties in costumes and kit due to personal preferences and differing opinions of history will be allowed. Please do not argue about the specifics of accuracy. "Explanation instead of condemnation" should be the rule of the day

We can certainly come to an understanding on a period look without archeological hairsplitting or anger.

Second - Acting LIKE children when discussing the subject OF children should stop now. I've been privately answering way too many angry PMs about this subject of children.

There will be children at the event. If you want to give them small items and tokens, you may do so, as long as the do not hamper the vendors. If you don't want to, that is also fine. Trust me, our period camp will be entertainment enough. Some children will look at it as entertainment. Some will appreciate it for the history. Some won't care.

The camp is for US. If we enjoy it, all other guests will enjoy it as well, no matter their age.

I just got off the phone with Harry Smid at Fort Zachary Taylor and I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that we must wait until December to see one another.

The good news is very good news....

First, I told Harry that 30+ pirates want to camp in the fort and not only was he happy, he was ecstatic. He is very exited. He couldn't believe the interest was this strong already and he says, "The more the merrier." He want Pirates in Paradise to evolve into a true living history event. He is very anxious to have re-enactors, living historians and pirate enthusiasts attend the festival. I will continue to coordinate the campsites and supplies with Harry as the time draw closer.

Second, those of you wishing to make donations of lanterns, casks, barrels, poles, tents, ropes, and all other supplies for period camping to the fort may send them to:

Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park

c/o Harry Smid

End of Southard Street

Through the Truman Annex

Key West, Florida 33040

The fort has agreed to store items donated by our group in a separate location for our use at PIP. Harry will mail back a donation slip for tax purposes to anyone who permanently donates period items to the fort.

Third - Harry is going to check into live steel and powder (no shot). He says that he is all but certain that this will not be an issue.

I will let you know more details in a few weeks when Harry's additional grants are approved for the event. For now, you may begin sending donations in the form of items to the Fort. Please let me know what items are being sent so that we may keep track of what is needed and what we will have available when we arrive.

I hope recent disagreements will not keep any of you from coming to this event. It promises to be a very big one.

-W.R.W.

Thanx for the adress William. I will send at least 50 stakes for permanent use of the fort. I'm trying to get another set of cast iron from the Girl Scout camp to also be kept at the fort. I should have no problem doing that. I will send some 7ft. poles as well. anyone needing a different size needs to let me know soon. There will be additional items for prizes in case you get some games up for the participants. I will mark them seperately for Identification.

Thank you, Patrick and thank you, Captain Bo.

Harry was very sruprised to learn that we are donating supplies to the fort. His initial reaction was, "This early...?"

He thought I was sending stuff just for him to store for the campers. I had to explain that we are donating the goods for the fort to use year round and that we would use them only while we are there. He asked me to extend his thanks in advance.

all I can say is "Wow you guys are amazing!" Geting ready for PiP this soon with stuff for the camp will only make 2006 a great year! With the new POC movie it will draw in even bigger crowds. I hope I can join you!

We should tip them with dollar coins...

compare_rev.gif

Actually I was thinking of changing all of my bills for dollar coins for the event, and even when going to town and paying for bar or breakfast tabs. the Pub at the fort gave all change in the form of Sacagawea dollars. Gold in color, they were unexpected and therefore very cool.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I was wondering (well it I said I was thinking some people would start to worry...)

Anyway.... for Pyrate camp, Why are a bunch of Pyrates inside the Fort?

I think a sorta date, and story explaining why we are there would give use something to "work with" when interenacting with the public. It dosen't have to be 100% historicaly accurate, but somewhat historicaly plausable ....

As far as having a date, last year all the Pyrates (other than my Buccaneer stuff) fit within the Golden Age of Pyracy, so I can't see where a specific date would be any problem. (this year I'm going with my 1715ish stuff....)

Having a Date, and Story should not be a problem, and it allows us something to "play" with........

Well, the fort itself is OOP having been finished in 1866, but we'll let that slide. As for our being inside, we took the fort. Last year. Twice, as I recall. I have period etchin's of you in the attacking force.

Serioulsly, though, some islands were friendly/tolerant of the trade in pyrated goods, so the story could be that this is one of those islands. Or we could state that we simply took the fort as part of a land raid, as pyrates did terrorize cities as well.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Taking the fort, might be one idea of why we are there.... But why did we take the fort?...... manby we are planning our next venture...... basicaly the why we are there bit, (I think) should be more defined.......

Being properly pyrate like , I think we shoud come up wit some ideas/storys, and then put it ter a vote..........

So .... what are a bunch of Pyrates doing in the Fort (and because the Fort is OOP.....) where "are" we...Why are we there....... (OK other than Key West is sooo much fun.......)

Some more thoughts....

William did a great job last yer courdinating(whoever thats spelled) everything..... but Pyrate camp courdinatior dosen't sound very Pyrate like..... so I propose that we vote fer William for "Quartermaster"..... The "go-between" for the pyrate camp and the fort,... That way the Fort, can tell William what's going on, he can post it here to let us know.... but everything/ ideas goes through th' Quartermaster.....then he can let the people at the fort know what we are working on.....

I also think we should get ourselves a weapons master/master gunner..... someone who KNOWS black powder, and can figure out the safety parts.... make a form with the safety rules, and check all weapons... just to keep it safe, and protect us and the fort.....

Now to sillier stuff....

How about some "ships articles".... something that we can all sign, and they are saved year to year...... be kinda fun to go and look up when and how many PiP's you've been to......

And untill everyone tells me to shut up...... I still think we need a story, not just a story that each of us has... but one we can all agree on, for why we are in the fort......and what we are doing there.......

i agree with you patrick ...from what i saw the last time i was there were some unsafe black powder practices ....i would like to see everyone drawing paper cartridges from a centrally controlled dispersement source ....with colour coded loads for pistols or long guns and pre-measured foil packed cannon charges and i agree with the need for safety inspections ..... the best way to keep everyone safe and secure is to have a standard that is to be followed ...also reduces the possible liability to ourselves and to the public....... :P:P:P

Well, (stepping up) I've been a BP safety officer for a number of groups and a musketeer, gunner, and carbineer for the last 23 years or so. If you want, I can do the job. Fair warning to all, though. I'm a hardass when it comes to safety, if there's any question, my answer is always to down check weapons and loads, or to remove a gunner from the line. Safety first, and I'm not picky about who it offends or how far they've come, only to be told that their weapons or handling practices are not safe.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, I'll likely be in a 1690's Royal Artillery kit, rather than pirate.

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

There was one pirate who kept loading one of the cannons by standing directly in front of the barrel and shoving the ramrod while it was leveled at his midsection. I would have dragged him right off the line.

I think it is a very good idea to have a Master Gunner, Powder man, or whatever designation we would like to use.

Was that Stripes that you are speaking of?

Hawkins! Royal artillary? Commanding Pyrates? Oh, the horror!

I didn't witness any bad gun handling, but I wasn't on cannon duty.

Something to think on: who was in charge of the cannon/black powder last year? Do the organizers already have someone? William, any thoughts/information?

3ff66f1f.jpg

i witnessed several shooters loading their guns (pistols and small signal cannon) directly from a can of powder ....and they were surrounded by spectators ....i didn't see a lot of the other skirmishes since i was working in my sales tent.... but i never saw premeasured loads or safe handling other than the instance i related .....

Was that Stripes that you are speaking of?

Hawkins! Royal artillary? Commanding Pyrates? Oh, the horror!

I didn't witness any bad gun handling, but I wasn't on cannon duty.

Something to think on: who was in charge of the cannon/black powder last year? Do the organizers already have someone? William, any thoughts/information?

Yes...Stripes was a dangerous gunner.

As far as individual arms go, I don't know who was in charge.

Willie Wobble had a cannon there and another man whom I believe was from Florida, but I don't remember the second man's name. Powder charges for two of the cannons were premeasured, as were the spherical charges of white bread used as shot. We were given very straight forward instruction and Mike and I were very careful to watch one another for any dangerous moves or possible mistakes. The cannon we shot failed to discharge once. We immediately stepped behind and to the side of the cannon and called the "master gunner" to examine his gun. The owner carefully removed charge, pin powder and the like before he declared it safe again for loading.

We also paused once when I wormed the gun and a chunk of sparking powder came out with the worm. The gun was double checked and swabbed before firing could commence.

Never take a cannon lightly.

I shall get more information from Harry regarding specifics on gun powder, small arms and cannons.

See... that's why I vote William for Quartermaster..... he does such a good job of it......

I have never met Hawkyns, and only know him from his post, but I think he would do a good job as Master Gunner..... it keeps us safe, and the Fort.....

These are the kinda things we should work out in the Pub(early) , so everything is ready when we get to PiP.......

Ok, there are a few on this board that will go to Hawkyns when there is a question on powder. As well have worked with him at various events. He is a respected gunner and holds the title Master Gunner for many an organization including a large SCA event every summer.

There are many that take his word as gold when it comes to purchasing and even thinking of purchasing a piece. But when it comes to powder there are no games at all when he is there, all powder is handled safely and in a controlled enviroment.

And if there are any that have questions ask... don't sit there and hem and haw about it, this is not a chat on what is for dinner. We need to put in to place a person that knows what they are doing because i was near someone with a extremely heavy load and am still having a problem with my hearing as they did not warn me that they were going to fire it. That is something i do not wish to relive...

Kathryn

William- a question--does the fort have any barrack space available? When I go to Ft Mifflin, or Ft Fred, I am frequently able to set up in one of the sejeant's rooms, since I have the military kit. Is that any kind of an option in KW?

Thanks!!

Hawkyns

:o

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg