PiP 2006: What Would You Like To See?

Jib

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never being to the PIP and not sure if it’s a proper place for me to participate in this discussion, but I have organized one time events in the past that could have tricks that could be used for this event. I share because I’d love to see events like this thrive.

I learned to write grants and have been successful in writing grants for money. I have funded some cultural events here in Pittsburgh and see no reason why the PIP can not apply for a grant to help with marketing costs. If the PIP is a non-profit organization this is very possible. Once a basic grant is prepared, it can be applied to all types of historical or theatrical grantors. (I have raised like 11k for several groups writing grants)

I’d always make my grant money go as far as it can, so my marketing was mainly online. PIP has a wonderful website, but limited links to it from traditional Key West tourist websites. I found the PIP through a web search of Pirate Images and not while looking at Key West websites. The strategy is to search Key West tourist websites, contact the webmaster and ask for a link to the PIP website. (Most groups don’t mind listing a non-profit organization event)

I also created a marketing data base of email addresses that I would spam news about the event. I wrote formal press releases and worked with another non-profit who faxed them out to all the media. Strangely enough my emails did generate a lot of attendance. In this case, emails could be sent to bed & breakfasts and hotels to post as local activities.

Lastly, I was in Key West this April and never found Fort Taylor. We actually walked towards it but once we got to the military canon, we felt there was nothing there. Maybe leaving maps at hotels would help.

If there is anything I can do to help, please ask.

Please contact the Fort and inquire after Harry or Shea and see what can be done to assist the festival.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I can get good piratical metal coins for about 18 to 30 cents. depending on the size.

If we make it, i was planning to bring a few bags for tipping the wenches and for gamblin'.

Anyone else bring drums? :(

I may be bringing drums to the festival.

PIP has a wonderful website, but limited links to it from traditional Key West tourist websites. I found the PIP through a web search of Pirate Images and not while looking at Key West websites. The strategy is to search Key West tourist websites, contact the webmaster and ask for a link to the PIP website. (Most groups don’t mind listing a non-profit organization event)

The PiP website isn't really connected to the festival any longer. It is in a transition period where it will be used to promote several festivals in the region, including the upcoming Port Royal Pirates Festival.

The main focus of the website right now is to promote all aspects of the Pirates in Paradise festival, just not those at the fort. The fort events and those in town, such as the End of Hurricane Season party and the National Walk the Plank Championships are not run by the same entities, hence the need to server multiple masters.

There are plenty of sites out there that promote Key West and have the time and energy to find and display links. I don't think it is particularly useful on the PiP site, particularly since the links that are there are to promote sponsors of the festival and businesses that do in-kind donations, such as some of the hotels. To promote links outside of those to other Key West venues or sites would degrade what few sponsorships the event currently has.

Hope this helps everyone understand the role of the PiP website in promoting the festival.

-- Hurricane

piratesinparadise.com webmaster

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

Wish it could be that I could have come. It would be a fine place for the last hoorah of Captain Bo. Alas, however, finals are the same week and it would be two days travel each way for me. No way for it to happen my freind William. It greives me to see the few members here doing such a dis-service to all your fine efforts. May they all find guinea worms in their stools! :)

Wish it could be that I could have come. It would be a fine place for the last hoorah of Captain Bo. Alas, however, finals are the same week and it would be two days travel each way for me. No way for it to happen my freind William. It greives me to see the few members here doing such a dis-service to all your fine efforts. May they all find guinea worms in their stools! :)

Aye, I wish you could have made it, mate. Don't be too hard on the lads here. This is a terrible medium for expressing one's opinion without stepping on a few toes.

We'll have a moment of silence in your honor at the fort.

Wish it could be that I could have come. It would be a fine place for the last hoorah of Captain Bo.  Alas, however, finals are the same week and it would be two days travel each way for me.  No way for it to happen my freind William.  It greives me to see the few members here doing such a dis-service to all your fine efforts.  May they all find guinea worms in their stools! :)

Aye, I wish you could have made it, mate. Don't be too hard on the lads here. This is a terrible medium for expressing one's opinion without stepping on a few toes.

We'll have a moment of silence in your honor at the fort.

...and more than a few drinks ...even if we are drinking lemonade!

Bein' HARD on 'em? Who... ME :o I was bein as kind as it is within my spirit to be my friend. :o I been around the block a few times, and I've learned alot about readin' between the lines mate. I says what I see and thats that. If I was wantin' to be hard on 'em... the moderators would have a job of it let me tell ya! :)

Ok, this is getting to be too much. There are those here that do do this for the love of the game. We do not do it for the public but for ourselves. If you want to do it for the public, then by all means do so. But do not take out your issues with those that enjoy playing the reenactment game with out having an audience. We each are entitled to our own aopinion and that is just that "our's", not yours.

And I know many people that do this for the history or the fun, and not to entertain every Tom, Dick or Jane that comes along. There are just differing ways to play you have yours and they have thiers. And lets leave it at that...

Thank you,

Kathryn Ramsey

• 5 weeks later...
“Song Pyrate” should be renamed simply “Musician,” and the job is still open. I think that I will take this one. After all, it may involve real Pyracy. To that end, I will shortly be opening a new thread for song suggestions, at least most of which should be of the period or in the spirit of Pyracy. A CD will follow so that the arrangements we all sing will be the same.

Jim lad, what of the Music CD and song book. I am interested in helping but since I am new to ALL of this I need guidence. I can do some copying, binding, aging etc. I would also like to learn some of the songs. What say you lad?

• 1 month later...

The closer to PiP..... the more excited I am gettting,.....

I think we are past the "wot do you wanna see at PiP".... because it is now tyme fer it to happen....

So last munute sujestions..... the pub.... th' camp......

Dang..... It is soooooo closes......

(OK the topless dancers idea got shot down long tyme ago........)

I would like to see William Red Wake and Dorian Lasseter there ...not to mention the remainder of the watchdog crew.

...well, dem wot ken write.

Never got the song book so ...I'd like to see suggestions of what songs YOU known so that I can learn them.