PiP 2006: What Would You Like To See?

Jib

Loved PiP 2005 and I'm not complaining. But what if you could make some changes what would they be? Harken back to an older PiP? Something new? Remove a certain factor?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I was just thinking... (always a dangerous thing�)

What if the "period" camp was back in the corner where the entrance to the Tavern is. So the public would go through it (well obviously there would be a path) to get to the Tavern... Basically get that back corner as properly Pyrate like as possible... Move the vendors closer to the front of the fort.

So there would be the entrance... then the vendors around a 'Town Square" with one of the stages... Then through the Pyrate camp to the Tavern.

Good idea. And perhaps move the stage under the cover of one of the arches to get the performers out of the sun and wind and give them a backstage in the "haunted" area. Or move the pub to that end, opposite the end it was in last year, to give the pub more room.

An' still charge fer a round fer safe passage.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I can only foresee one problem in camping too near the pub. Intoxicated pirates. They mean well, but sometimes the drink does the talking.

We stayed up the last night pretty late, but long after I had put out the fire and gone to bed, we had some people come through camp and start the fire again. First, they rifled through the trash looking for food. Yes, I did say "looking for food". They pulled out the trash onto the ground. Then one of the more unsteady lasses dumped all of the paper plates from the trash in the fire pit and lit it. Then she walked away and left floating bits of burning trash to fly about the camp. I had to get dressed again and stamp out a few fires and clean up the garbage. This happened three times. People would wander over and start a fire and leave.

If we actually had "watches" any problems could be monitored, but some of the campers may wish to sleep. Still, the fort makes the decisions on where we get to camp, but they may be pretty flexible if enough of us want it a certain way. It never hurts to ask.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

William, I am assuming (hopefully) that these were some of the local homeless? If they have that kind of access, then I would say we need a anchor and fire watch, for all watches at the camp. It's not fun, but if we were on ship we'd have to do it anyway, so there should be no cause for complaint.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

OK, that's pretty damn sad.

Is there a way to note who they were and advise the fort that some people may not be the best people to have?

I have no problem disinviting problem people. I think that is what a good jurying process is for.

Hawkyns

<_<

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'll throw in with Hawkins here, this is bad buisiness. I watched a man lose his entire kit in less than 5 min. due to careless drunkards and paper/fire. He was only 75 feet away when his tent caught from the camp beside him and before he could run there it was too intense to save anything, including a fine hand built rifle. The tent was fire retardant, but the other camp threw a good size wad of paper and a cardboard box on the fire to get it going, and of course it floated on the heat and...

If I'm able to attend, count me in for the mid-watch... belaying pins and all!

I was hoping to camp this coming event but it looks like I will be in a hotel again. My concern is with the locked gates: those of us who would like to hang out for a while at camp after closing before toddling off to bed cannot get in or out. Is there a way around this?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I was hoping to camp this coming event but it looks like I will be in a hotel again. My concern is with the locked gates: those of us who would like to hang out for a while at camp after closing before toddling off to bed cannot get in or out. Is there a way around this?

The gate isn't an issue. Everyone who camped in side was given the gate combination so that we might come and go from town as we wished. I had to let a few people in who arrived late and didn't have the gate combination, but for the most part, everyone was able to pass through when they wanted to.

As for fire issues, we were limited to the one pit. I think another camp had a fire pit as well, but the fire was limited. If we are careful to empty the trash in the evenings, I think we can avoid the floating fuel problems.

And for anyone from the fort reading this...Don't be alarmed. We don't want to imply that the fort and patrons were ever in any danger. We're just getting all issues out in the open.

Last year William had a canvas bucket, If someone that is driving down and had a wooden bucket, that might be handy.... I think we should keep a bucket of water by the fire.... it's not that far of a walk for water, but in the event of an emergancy, it would be handy to have some water real close......just in case......

Aye. Safety first, but entertainment is a very close second.

Here are some other things I would like to see at PIP.

1 - More Pirates. Much more.

2 - More period freebies. If enough of us pooled our resources and prospective talents, we could make small period items to trade. This may be a little ambitious for pirates on a budget, but I'd love to give out freebies of some sort and have an exchange of goods between crews.

3 - We need a giant group picture or two. Crews should be photographed under their flag and then all the pirates together.

4 - I beachside barbeque would also be fun. Roasted pig on a spit.

5 - More live musicians. The piper was a delight and all of the musicians who played on and off the stage were wonderful. We might have a class where we all learn a few period shanties together.

6 - A knot contest. We could see who can tie various sailor knots the fastest.

7 - Feats of strength.

8 - A climbing contest, if some upright rigging with shrouds could be set up.

Aye... I do musket ball casting over the fire at several events and hand out the balls to the kids. Not very expensive, but in large crowds they go fast of course. Part of the period demos I do are flint and steel firestarting, cast shot, loading and firing the flintlock.(with paper wad...not lead!) Last year I got lucky at the one here at the Damsite Visitors center, and someone hit a young deer with their car. I feild dressed it on the side of the road in my longhunter outfit by the lights of my truck, and we roasted venison over the fire all the next day. The hosts wouldn't let me hang it in camp or work the hide though.