Do you speak another language?

Mad Matt

How about the OP language, does that count? For example, the sentence, "My name is Christine" would be: "Mop yop nop a mop e i sop Cop hop rop i sop top i nop e." You put op at the end of the letters, excepts for the vowels. :huh:

Nop o Wop a Yop

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to speak a great deal of Русский, but I haven't used it in years. Same with my Français, and my Español. I think I can still do Beatnik... :huh:

К моим русским друзьям, это было по-разному временем, и по-разному

миром. Я хочу быть вашим другом. :huh:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice thread. Christine's OP language cracked me up!

Je parle francais un peu et tres lentement.

And I can do a mean rendition of Shirley Ellis' The Name Game.

"Let's do Rummy:

Rummy, Rummy bo bummy, banana fanna fo fummy, fee fi mo mummy, Rummy!"

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Nice thread. Christine's OP language cracked me up!

Je parle francais un peu et tres lentement.

And I can do a mean rendition of Shirley Ellis' The Name Game.

"Let's do Rummy:

Rummy, Rummy bo bummy, banana fanna fo fummy, fee fi mo mummy, Rummy!"

I read it! ...and now I can't get it out of my head! Thanks Cairan! B)

(1) English

(2) American Sign Language

(3) Spanish

(4) Klingon (no, seriously)

(5) Russian -- learned much but, by not keeping it up with it I have lost almost all of it, and must re-learn everything.

When I drink heavily, my ability to speak Spanish increases... odd.

ASL has become my Second Language, as I think in it. It is second nature, and seems more natural and easier to use than English... odder.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Interesting part o' it......

I can speek very little German...... If I want to order a Beer... got that.... or if I want to know if Peter is sailing.... hey... can ask that also...

When I was stationed in Korea.... I learned Korean.... now all I can remember is to ask it that is a book......and how to say "your Mother has a........." funny how the dirty stuff sticks in your mind........

Klingon.... Ok I can say ...."that's not a knife" and "Your ship is a garbage scow"..... what little I learned... I have also forgotten....

My Spanish is pertty bad..... but last time I was in Mexico.... I knew enough to get by.......... and I've learned more since then.......

(still can't spell in English tho....)

It's just one of those use it or lose it kinda things...... (well not that bad.... but close....)

I can kinda pick up just enough to get by........ then end up forgitting most of it..............

"Use it or lose it," yes, that is the problem.

That's how I lost my knowledge of Russian, as I was only there a week... but I did fine while there.

It does not really explain my command of the Klingon language, however, as I rarely need to use it when, for instance, Christmas Shopping.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

When I drink heavily, my ability to speak Spanish increases... odd.

So does my French speaking. I think it has to do with losing inhabitions and the fear of screwing up.

Although not a speaking language, many years ago I worked at the NC School for the Blind, so am still fairly proficient in the reading and writing of Braille. (Sighted people simply use their eyes to know the letters...I couldn't tell ye diddlysquat by running me fingers across the dots.)

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

2 years of latin, 4 years of spanish, and have been learning Arabic for the last 5 years. the latin I cant remember any of it, but it does help with figuring out what some words mean. The spanish, not so much though I can read it, can understand about 40% of what I read. Those were learned in jr high/high school. The Arabic is being taught ot me by my MIL.

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

With enough tequila I can still speak pretty fluent Spanish. Straight A's for three years, top of class. Plus my teacher would have slept with me if that was allowed back then as it is today... But that was not yet custom... :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 3 weeks later...

My top 5

1. Dutch (for obvious reasons)

2. English (fluent)

3. German (fluent)

4. Spanish (for 1 year at school)

5. French (for 1 year at school)

Like I wrote in my introduction topic, I plan on learning many languages in the years to come and will probably study English at university (taking the course: Cambridge Certificate for English Proficiency).

A pirate by heart, a pirate in my soul

I always steal whatever I need, no self-control

I always long to sail my ship and explore the sea

So you'd better beware me!

Because Captain Pirate is near. And a girl too so fear

Don't you dare to question me and I might let you live

I fight and kill those without skill

So surrender now...and bow!

English of course. What little Spanish I knew from High School and College (flunked it, both times) I've pretty much lost 'cepting a word here and there. I'm currently trying to learn Russian, but it's hard to find the time to sit and study - somehow I can read it better than I can speak it though...

Reading Russian is easy though. But speaking is even easier. Can't believe you flunked Spanish twice! :o

I flunked French. :rolleyes:

A pirate by heart, a pirate in my soul

I always steal whatever I need, no self-control

I always long to sail my ship and explore the sea

So you'd better beware me!

Because Captain Pirate is near. And a girl too so fear

Don't you dare to question me and I might let you live

I fight and kill those without skill

So surrender now...and bow!

Reading Russian is easy though. But speaking is even easier. Can't believe you flunked Spanish twice!

Maybe - still makes my head hurt occasionally though :)

Yup, didn't do good in Spanish twice. I did okay the first time around, I just didn't like the teacher and didn't agree with her policies so I never turned in my work. Second time around I just didn't study and froze every time the Prof. called on me. Then I was also trying to learn Russian at the same time, so I was getting a lot of words mixed up. I liked Russian more, so it took the priority over Spanish.

A decent amount of Spanish, and enough Arabic to get by...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."