music

Capt. Flint

Ahoy!

I had a suspicion you sailors might enjoy some of the dulcet tones of a group called Clam Chowder. They did the convention/SCA circuit for a while, but have recently re-released a few of their hard to find songs on CD.

I think Spindrift and Salvaged are a bit better than High Tide, but they're all right fine, and have several versions of excellent shanties.

Anon,

Bos'n Arrow

• 2 weeks later...

Argh, lads and lassies of sea farin' songs...

Revels, Inc. has two fine CD's out *you can get them on-line, too* called

*Blow Ye Winds In The Morning" and "Homeward Bound*. Most of the songs are whaler types, but still, some great singin' and shantyin'.

*Homeward Bound* has two great songs for lady pyrates as well "The Maid on the Shore* (a standard where I hail from, but a great rendition* and *A Maid of Seventeen* about a lass who makes herself up as a lad and joins the Royal Navy .. all is well until a lady falls in love with her *of course* and spoils it all.

Splinter Zatara

the pyrate ship *ROSE*

I just got word today that the Bilge Pumps just released their new CD. The link to the treasure page is http://www.thebilgepumps.com/cgi-bin/treasure for anyone concerned. No, I am in no way affiliated with them, but I've heard their music in the past and have enjoyed it.

Coastie04

"So swab the decks, me hearties,

Sluice them down with brine,

Lay to the oars, you sons of whores,

Yours is smaller than mine."

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Where might a soul find this type of music and under what section in the store might it be found ? " folk ? International ? Celtic ?" :D

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

I've found some under each of those categories before. If not specifically sea shanties, many Irish drinking songs are the same, or at least very similar. However, I also just get some of them online.

Coastie04

"We'll wash her and we'll scrub her

With holy stone and sand,

For there blows some cold nor'westers

On the banks of Newfoundland."

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

As for pirate music (by which I mean, pirates are referenced in the song, or they have "piratized" shanties and interspersed their songs with pirate humor, as versus albums of just shanties and other maritime music, which is also very appropriate), I probably have the largest collection of pirate music available. But no one album is all pirate songs. You might get a few of these, and then make your own mix burned onto a CD.

Here's some suggestions (in alphabetical order):

ANNWN: Come Away to the Hills

- "The Red Queen". Elf Hill Music & Mayhem Unltd., 2455 Ashby Ave.,

Berkeley, CA 94705-2034

"The Red Queen" (honoring Anne Bonney) is the best damn non-traditional

pirate song I've heard (it's in the NQG Pirate Song Book too). The Port Royal Privateers (my pirate crew) love to sing it, especially the women. It's the only pirate song on the album though. Most of the other songs on this album are traditional Renaissance era ballads and folk songs (I love their version of Matty Groves). I keep trying to encourage her (Leigh Ann Hussey) to write more pirate songs. She mentioned she was working on one about Francis Drake a few years ago, but haven't heard anything more about it since.

BILGE PUMPS: We do not recommend their first album "We Don't Know" (sorry guys -- I love the Bilge Pumps, but not this album)-- it was pretty bad. But their second album "Greatest Hits Vol. VIII" is a complete turn around (I understand they changed out some of the group, and they really got their act together). It is great. While the songs are mostly shanties, they have been done in a pyratical style. I especially love their version of "Spanish Ladies" -- rewritten from a piratical point of view. Look for the hidden tracks too. The CD has some skits between the songs, but the cassette has even more (the cassette tape could hold 90 min. but the CD only about 70 mins of material).

www.thebilgepumps.com

As mentioned in a previous post -- the guys have a new album coming out "Brigands with Big'uns". I haven't yet heard it but it will be reviewed in the May 2003 issue of No Quarter Given.

CAPTAIN BOGG & SALTY - Bedtime stories for Pirates

- good collection for youngun's, and fun for adults too (sort of on the level of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean - "Yo Ho Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me" - cute, but not sickeningly so). http://www.boggandsalty.com/

This album is the product of two musicians from PIRATE JENNY (see below), plus the other members of Pirate Jenny as backup musicians. It

is quite well done, and has great art work on the cover.

THE CORSAIRS - They currently have five albums out.

The Blue One - original compositions "Pirate's Life", "No Purchase, No

Pay", plus traditional "Golden Vanity",

The Red One - "Barrett's Privateers", more shanties

The Green One - "Sailor's Prayer", "King of the Cannibal Islands", "Blow

the Man Down", more shanties

The Black One - "Drunken Sailor", ""Life of a Sailor" (original), "Yo Ho

Ho and a Bottle of Rum", more

The White One "Pass the Bottle Round" (original composition), less

shantey, more folk songs

www.corsairs.com

- tthey record mostly shanties in a rowdy style (though The Green One

has a hidden track of singing Amazing Grace to dozens of other tunes --

hilarious). For piratical content, I recommend The Blue One album over the others, especially for the original pieces. I recommend The Red One least -- it was their first and isn't quite up to par with the others, but if you

get the others and really like them, then this one isn't bad -- just not

as good -- so you might get it.

CRAZY CAT GEORGE: Album: 2609 Manning, 1996

"Tender Young Men" is a wonderful story, though gdone in a more modern style, relating the adventures of a wild pirate woman. Only pirate song on the CD. Have no idea if still available - the address on my album is:

Crazy Cat George, PO Box 480471, Los Angeles, CA 90048 213-951-7069 (if anyone is able to get this album, let me know, so I know for sure it is still available)

DAVID GROSSMAN: Graffitti

"Bartholomew Roberts" is a wonderful song based on the historical pirate. (also to be found in the NQG Pirate Song Book)

David Grossman, PO Box 4681, Cave Creek, AZ, 85327

www.davidgrossman.com

Last I knew, CD's were $16.

EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER: Works, Volume I - "Pirates"

HENDERSON, SKIP: Billy Bones and other Ditties

original composition "Billy Bones" (this song alone is worth buying the CD -- it's great -- done in an old fashioned style - you can find the lyrics and music in the NQG Pirate Song Book), plus somewhat traditional "Fifteen Men" (the tune is a little different but I really like it) and other nautical tunes. About half songs and half instrumentals (during one instrumental, a traditional hornpipe or something on the concertina, you can hear a brawl breaking out in the tavern - really funny) .

Wm. Bones c/o Canyon Studios, PO Box 13, Canyon, CA 94516

IRVINE, TONY: Outward Bound

original compositions "For God, King & Country", "A Pirates Night Before

Christmas" (both of which are featured in the NQG Pirate Song Book) plus traditional nautical tunes. Tony Irvine, 3267 Old Bridgeport Way, San Diego, CA 92111.

Email: airvine@san.rr.com

JOLLY ROGERS: Pirates Gold album, - "All for me Grog", "Haul Away Joe"

Loose Cannons album (a 2 disc album - great bargain) - "A Port in Every Girl", "Dread", "Bonnie Pirate Laddie"

Jolly Rogers, P.O. Box 2562, Kansas City, MO 64142 ,

http://www.chivalry.com/jollyrogers/

There's a couple of new original songs on "Loose Cannons" -- "Dread" --

about Bartholomew Roberrts, and "A Port in Every Girl" (hilarious --

alone this is worth the price of the CD).

Their songs "Teach the Devil's Son" and "L'Ollonais" are featured in the NQG Pirate Song Book.

Mc GUINN, ROGER: Cardiff Rose [Columbia] -- "Jolly Roger" (also called "Cardiff Rose"). Roger would have given me permission to feature this song in the NQG Pirate Song Book, but he no longer owns the rights to it (EMI has the rights).

MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND: Soundtrack - "Shiver Me Timbers" and "Professional Pirate" -- they have silly bits, but "Professional Pirate" actually does a good job of explaining how it's all how you look at piracy if you are bad or good.

PIRATE JENNY: Never-Sea Land

Once Upon a Wave

- Pirate Jenny is a four-piece Portland Oregon band specializing in

original rock & roll pirate sea chanties.

Pirate Jenny, P.O. Box 12264 Portland, Oregon 97212,

http://www.teleport.com/~stangetz/pj.html

--The entire album Never-Sea Land is filled with original songs about

pirates, but done in a rock and roll style or reggae style. I like them, except for the production quality makes some of the lyrics hard to understand. I really like "Sensitive Pirates No More" and "A Pirate's Life is Peaceful" (remind's me of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean song) -- both songs are featured in the NQG Pirate Song Book.

The Once Upon a Wave album is not so accessible to general pirate listeners - sort of for those who are real groupies, and understand where the group is coming from.

PYRATES ROYALE: Their first album is Hello, Sailor - "Fireship", "Blow

the Man Down", "Maid on the Shore", "Down Among the Dead Men", "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor", more (done as if broadcast through "Pirate Radio" - the weather and traffic reports are very funny)

Their second album is Lyve Behind Bars - "Don't Sail There" (hilarious),

"Stumble/Beer, Beer, Beer", many shanties

Their third album is "Love at First Nyte" -- original composition "The

Ballad of Old Redcoat", "Swing the Cat" shanties

The Pyrates Royale, 1767 Old B&A Blvd., Annapolis, MD 21401

www.pyrates.com

None of the songs are really pirate songs (though I consider "Maid on

the Shore" a pirate song, since the crew kidnaps the girl, which seems

like an act of pirates to me, but they are never called such), but the songs

are often done in a pyratical, rowdy, comical style, with lots of scurvy

background dialog. They are songs pirates would have enjoyed singing.

ROGERS, STAN: Fogarty's Cove [1977, Fogarty's Cove Music] - "Barrett's Privateers" and "Maid on the Shore"

Besides contacting each group or tracking down each album separately, I know Fern Canyon Press carries many of these -- www.ferncanyonpress.com

And if he doesn't, let him know you are interested in something he doesn't carry, and maybe he can start carrying it.

Dulcetly (not),

--Jamaica Rose

"With a black flag dancing overhead,

We'll salt your beef with flying lead,

And you'll regret that ever you fed

At the board of Anne Bonney"

The Red Queen -- by Leigh Ann Hussey

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

To reply to Crow's post about "Oh Lord above, send down a dove...", that song was written by Tom Lewis, a British chanteyman now living in Salmo, BC. All of his music can be gotten at his website: http://www.tomlewis.net

He'll be at the NW Folklife Festival this Memorial Day weekend, if any of you are up Seattle way. The Festival's theme this year is Maritime Music, so it'll have more sea chanteys than ye can shake a hook at. Both of my bands, Broadside (all female chantey singers) and Coventry, will be there, and any pirate who cares to make the trip will have a warm welcome.

Trapper

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

• 4 weeks later...

There be a grand gather o' shantymen and women at Mystic Seaport every June. We be missin' the weekend as our crew will be in Rogues Island fer the burnin' o' The Gaspee, but we be there fer the warm up days. Ye can find the information @ www.mysticseaport.org

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if any of you would know the lyrics to "whale of a tale"?

I heard it sung on "20,000 leagues under the sea" and now I gots the song tune in me head but not rememberin all the words.

the only reference to it I can find on the web is listing it as sung by sponge bob square pants and I am not about ta go out buyin his music(at least he ain't as bad as barney-nothin like a good barney roastin in the fire)

thanx

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

A Whale of a Tale

Music: Al Hoffman and Norman Gimbel

Lyrics: Al Hoffman and Norman Gimbel

Midi link: http://people.delphiforums.com/piratequeen...n/whaletale.mid

Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads

A whale of a tale or two

'Bout the flappin' fish and the girls I've loved

On nights like this with the moon above

A whale of a tale and it's all true

I swear by my tattoo

There was Mermaid Minnie, met her down in Madagaskar

She would kiss me, any time that I would ask her

Then one evening her flame of love blew out

Blow me down and pick me up!

She swapped me for a trout

A whale of a tale or two

I swear by my tattoo

There was Typhoon Tessie, met her on the coast of Java

When we kissed I bubbled up like molten lava

Then she gave me the scare of my young

Blow me down and pick me up!

She was the captain's wife

A whale of a tale or two

I swear by my tattoo

And hey, I love Spongebob Squarepants, so no dissin' the little absorbent fella, 'kay? :rolleyes:

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

thanks,Pirate Queen!!!

you know how a song gets in yer head and ya just can't seem to get back to normal life til yer able ta sing it...well...at least thats how I feel :) .

sorry about the mildly offensive tone of my reference to bob-I just don't get him-don't hate em,just get kinda dumdfounded when I've watched the show...although I like the pirate veggie tales bits that I've seen-sick,but cute.

but I won't accept any adults saying they personally like barney-its ok if they think he is good for their kids ta watch,but I can't stand the freak and would like to get a nice small one that I could launch in a trail of smoking debris from my cannon :rolleyes::P:P

thanx again,

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

I was recently introduced to a band called "The Poxy Boggards" their web address is www.poxyboggards.com

What I like about them is that it's a 9 (sometimes more) man singing group, they harmonize well and they make even the dirtiest of songs sound pretty. I've two of their albums at the moment (Barley Legal and Lager than Life) and have noticed that despite me playing those two albums over and over again I haven't gotten tired of them.

Oh the Lager than Life albu are some good piraty songs like: The Cock and Bulls Tavern (which is an original piece by the Boggards) as well as the traditional songs of: Rolling Down to Old Mauri, Jamaica, Bang Away Lulu and Aboard the Good Ship Venus. There's alo a amazingly well rendition of the Mingulay Boat Song.

At any rate, these guys are great and have songs that are a good mixture of fun toe tapping beer drinking goodness.

We Were Buccaneers by Hoyt Axton.

It's a rip-roarin' countryfied tune about a life on the account that's wonderfully poetic. It's one of my most played pirate tunes that's non-traditional. For those of you on broadband I'd be happy to email it to you if you can't find it.

newbannersigtar0db.gif