Post yer colors, mates!

Thank you, but the idea for Americanized one goes to Long Tom.

Ar, 'tweren't nuthin' but a chance bit o' noticin'.

William, from your wording I'm not entirely clear whether the crossed cannons flag is more of your work, or are you hosting it for someone else, but my compliments to the artist. Your cannons are... uh, well ... to die for.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CapnWilliam asked me to do a flag for him sometime back. When it came time for me to do it, I asked CapnWilliam what he would like and he asked for a full skull with a jaw and two crossed cannons. I used cannons from draughts of several early 1700's frigates as a model and I rendered the skull from a photo.

So the idea was his and the finished work is mine.

Sometimes the flags are mine from start to finish, but generally when I do a flag for someone, it is based on their suggestions. Sometimes they ask me to modify them, by adding or taking away elements.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

CapnWilliam asked me to do a flag for him sometime back.  When it came time for me to do it, I asked CapnWilliam what he would like and he asked for a full skull with a jaw and two crossed cannons.  I used cannons from draughts of several early 1700's frigates as a model and I rendered the skull from a photo.

Well, CapnWilliam has a grand design to be sure, and splendid execution from you. Cheers to you both.

I had actually been considering crossed cannons, but they just weren't coming out the way I wanted. Just as well, apparently, since CapnWilliam had dibs. At any rate, your work inspired me to go back and rework my charges. A little more muscle there this time, I think.

PirateFlag01_B.jpg

PirateFlag05_B.jpg

I think I've shown the basic design here - or in another thread - at some point before, but we have the real article now. T'ain't made historically accurately, it's just fabric paint on black fabric, but it's what we had when we had time to do it (and when I say "we," I mean my loverly wife - the one with the talent).

flag.jpg

sig2.jpg

(New version of a previous post.)

This was done in powerpoint but I figure if I want to do it in fabric it needs to be simple anyway!

Slide8.jpg

The 'patch' on the eye is a Celtic symbol known as a Triskel, is used to symbolize the cycles of life with in the three fold, or three spheres of influence in the material world. The three spheres (Land, Sea and Sky) represents the three aspects of the material world that are contained in every object. Each aspect ever flowing outward and always returning to the point from which it started.

I may replace it with the 'Tipple Goddess' the three stages of womanhood, Maiden, Mother and Crone. This is the Tipple Goddess. Unless I have it all wrong

tn_e1_6-1.jpg

problem is that it is used on Charmed and I would not be using it as a symbol of witchcraft ...which is how everyong sees it now.

The sea lion is to represent Silkie (sealkie - sea folk) of Celtic legend, Orkney Islands and east coast of Ireland.

The Skull is self explanatory ...besides, I had to have something pirate like in there! :ph34r:

yes, the skull grayed a bit, I wanted the colors to stand out and they would not with a white skull. I may also reshape the eye socket.

Silkie, I like it! Original, and well done, too.

That was an interesting point about the brightness of the white in the skull, against the other colors. I love hearing technical tidbits like that.

Well, CapnWilliam has a grand design to be sure, and splendid execution from you. Cheers to you both.

I had actually been considering crossed cannons, but they just weren't coming out the way I wanted. Just as well, apparently, since CapnWilliam had dibs. At any rate, your work inspired me to go back and rework my charges. A little more muscle there this time, I think.

PirateFlag01_B.jpg

PirateFlag05_B.jpg

I like them both. I say you fly them both.

There are a great many good designs here in this thread. I have enojyed the variety a great deal, especially the range from simple to elaborate.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 1 month later...

What the perfect thread for a new commer like myself to find. Such inspiration & creativity in everyones colors. Some of the designs have such fine line work involved, I'm wondering how much is being done on a graphics program vs by hand & scanned? I've never gotten particularly good with the graphics and am in a bit of awe.

Thank you all very much for sharing.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

i, meself does all me drawin' by hand...

i have done computer graphics in the past,

but there is something more personal for me when i use pen and ink...

everyone uses their creativity differently and with different mediums.

yer colors arent bad at all! :lol:

...up close and personal means one of two things:

You are either waking up with me in the morn or I am the last face you will ever see...</span>

myflage.jpg

I have decided on this one..

It means: Take heart yer tyme be short!

I'll be havin a flag maker make it for me

when tyme and funds allow. I'll place

it above the skeleton Pyrate in the cove.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Been noodlin' on a couple of designs. This one:

PirateFlag00.jpg

or this one:

PirateFlag01.jpg

(If anybody knows how to get a decent trace out of Illustrator, I'd be much obliged. The skull is a scan of a hand sketch. Bitmaps are okay, as far as they go, but to scale the thing up to full flag size it would be nice to convert it to vector.)

How about (if ye'll pardon me sayn') a large cannon across the bottom and three skulls lined up just above it.

it would look like they were leering over the top of it...

Thank ye kindly, Wednesday! I'm particularly proud of it...the flag and its design, as well as me own name have special, sentimental symbolism to me. :ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

'Tis some fine works you have here, I must say. I'm thinkin' a flag o' mine would have a cat of some sort on it, as cats are the animals I feel the closest to (I sleep a lot, eat when I'm hungry, occassionally flip out for no reason and prefer to operate alone, just like me darling cat Ragnhild :)).

How about (if ye'll pardon me sayn') a large cannon across the bottom and three skulls lined up just above it. it would look like they were leering over the top of it...

You called it, you got it. Presenting the Ensign of the Dread Pirate Wednesday!

PirateFlag_Wednesday.jpg

Well, okay, a first draft of said Ensign, anyway. Feel free to alter to suit your own style as you see fit. Personally I think both the skull and cannon need a little help, but it works for a first impression on the layout, at least.

well hell.... dread thinks this a grand looking flag!

[...one ship's mate runs to the captain: "sir! there is another ship approachin'... "not to worry" says the captain, "seems harmless enuf..."

then the captain notices the blackflag... he yells out:

"everyone to their stations, .... pyrates!!!"

...back on the pyrate ship the pyrate Wednesday smiles and thinks...

"this is going to be a good day. Everyday is Wednesday!!!"] ;)

...up close and personal means one of two things:

You are either waking up with me in the morn or I am the last face you will ever see...</span>

How about (if ye'll pardon me sayn') a large cannon across the bottom and three skulls lined up just above it.  it would look like they were leering over the top of it...

You called it, you got it. Presenting the Ensign of the Dread Pirate Wednesday!

PirateFlag_Wednesday.jpg

Well, okay, a first draft of said Ensign, anyway. Feel free to alter to suit your own style as you see fit. Personally I think both the skull and cannon need a little help, but it works for a first impression on the layout, at least.

Very nice!

Ok, I gotta make a flag. I sketched one for R that eh' didn't take to so I think I'll use it meself. It had a crown, fitting me attitude (I've been told).

I'd thought of doing one with a Griffin...only sketches so far (and who knows where they are.

Thought of painting the black around the design, not only easier (said now) than stitching but doing it with unevenly thinned fabric paint so it looks worn.

Lunch in Seal beach today, pirate flags flyn' here and there....aye mates the Seal Beach Pirates, starbucks, a BLT and killn' for a parking space.....

well hell.... dread thinks this a grand looking flag!

[...one ship's mate runs to the captain: "sir! there is another ship approachin'... "not to worry" says the captain, "seems harmless enuf..."

then the captain notices the blackflag... he yells out:

"everyone to their stations, .... pyrates!!!"

...back on the pyrate ship the pyrate Wednesday smiles and thinks...

"this is going to be a good day. Everyday is Wednesday!!!"] :lol:

Aye, a good days work, or Wednesday s work.... ;) W