A Pirate Parade Float In the Making!!!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of names, we're just planning to put the guild name, Tales of the Seven Seas on the stern. I've jokingly been calling it "The Land Shark" but Saber wants to name it after the ship in the on-line story we write in, the Crimson Reaper. Although given the nature of it's aquisition, I think "Claire's Folly" would also be appropriate!!!

On figureheads, I love the idea of a live figurehead, but sometimes I'm the only female pirate at an event and I like to be out in the middle of all the action, throwing buckets of confetti over people and getting them to shout ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR PIRATES!!!!, dancing with little kids, passing out treasure etc. But I REALLY LOVE the idea of having a casting of the Royaliste's figurehead!!! Maybe we could start with the cast figurehead and eventually cut a panel so that we could choose to go with either the casting or a live figurehead.

We're out at Saber's mom's this weekend and on the ride down we were discussing ideas for the float. We were debating the ease/difficulty of how to construct the aft deck in the back. We're thinking of it being raised about 2' from the existing height and maybe small lighted cabin windows in it.

Should we do the aft deck in plywood or fiberglass? Plywood would be pretty straightforward. Saber did some fiberglass work many years ago, but we aren't sure what sheets of fiberglass that could be shaped to form the aft deck would cost.... anybody know about that? Saber said when he did the fiberglass work on a surfboard 20-odd years ago that you had to buy the stuff by the ounce!!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

• 2 weeks later...

We're ready to pick up the "Land Shark" on Saturday. I had a heck of a time finding a ball hitch to fit Saber's pick up, but I finally located one today and we're good to go on Saturday.

A pirate emailed me with the photos below of a ship that was at Burning Man this year- The Contessa is some kind of combination between a double-decker bus and an old wooden ship! This ship actually drives! They had it strung with lights , a live band on deck and rum a-flowing at Burning Man, from what he tells me!! Do you think they drove it there? Can't imagine it's street legal....

ShipBus1.jpg

ShipBus2.jpg

OK here's the scoop on La Contessa. It was built on-site at Burning Man with a grant to fund it. Check out the article.... pretty interesting!

The Building of La Contessa

wow,Claire,that was really kool.

I'll make it to burning man one of these years *sigh*

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Here's the latest update on the parade float -

I sent over the VERY rough concept sketch of the "Land Shark" that you see below- It is the photograph of the hull on the trailer, painted over with the piratical improvements we have planned. Since the "debut sail" of the Land Shark will be at the San Jose Holiday Parade, we'll have the ship strung with lights and garland, stockings hanging from the yardarm, a couple of presents on the deck and of course, our skeleton pirate "Jeff" will be properly attired for the occasion in a Santa hat, for a "Christmas on the High Seas" theme! I got an enthusiastic response to the concept sketch and pirate Christmas idea in general. They've made arrangements for a nice, new GMC sponsor car to tow us, instead of our humble '89 Mazda pickup, so that will be nice!

We're all set to drive out and pick up the Land Shark tomorrow morning. I confirmed our directions and the seller double checked that the tires are in good shape, holding air and the tail lights all check out OK. Ya' gotta love it for $27.51!!

*sings*

"Deck the decks with bows of holly,

fa-la-la-la-laaaaaaaah, la-la-la-ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

'Tis the season of Jolly Roger!

fa-la-la-la-laaaaaaaah, la-la-la-ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Don we now ARRRR pirate apparrel,

fa-la-la, la-la-la, la-la ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

As we sing sea shanty carols!

fa-la-la-la-la, la- ARRRR, ARRRRR, ARRRRRRRRR!!!!!" :ph34r:

LandSharkPlan.jpg

This may seem a bit odd, but I was trying to think of something to represent railings on the decks. It does not have to be the least bit functional, just to get the idea across of a low railing around the decks. I came up with the idea of nailing these flexible garden borders around the deck- they'd be quick and easy and would look ornate. (ground spike removed & painted red) They are very cheap at $3 for a 2' section and could also be sawn into small pieces to use as decorative molding on the cabin, since they are flat-sided. What do you think? True, it's not like an actual ship, but this is in miniature and I was thinking it might make it look a bit more ornate.... By all means shoot this one down if it seems like a bad idea, I'm trying to get an idea on if it might give the right look or not....

0592009_450_CC_d16b.jpg

*Whew!!* What a day!! Well crew, the infamous "Land Shark" is safely berthed in the back yard, after a long haul from Rancho Cordova CA, through the Sacramento and Silicon Valleys, then our long climb up the mountain home. Soon, she'll begin her "extreme makeover" and be transformed in to a pirate vessel, in time for the San Jose Holiday Parade on Dec. 7th.

The Land Shark is large and quite heavy, we're guessing about 2500 lbs. and from bow to stern, she is 17 feet long. We were very glad to find that the trailer is in great shape. It is large, sturdy, has fully functional lights and tows like a dream. The tires were too worn for us to want to try to make the long drive with them, So we bought new tires in Rancho Cordova before we ever went down the freeway.

Bob's truck performed like a champ. The old gal is a '89 Mazda pickup with 150K+ miles on the original 4 cylinder engine. Hauling a big heavy boat like this in hot weather through the valleys, then up a steep mountain road was quite a task.

Once we got home, Saber then had the task of maneuvering her backwards down our narrow driveway, and carefully easing her between the redwoods and the propane tank. As wide as she is, there was only a few inches on each side at some places. Saber did a very impressive job of bringing her in.

*Raises her tankard*

"A toast.....To Saber for bringing her in safely!!! And to the homecoming of the Land Shark!! May she terrorize the concrete waterways of Silicon Valley!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!"

*glug-glug-glug!*

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy me hearties! Here is the latest update on the Land Shark.

We spent a good part of Sunday stripping the hull of the seats, fittings and other bits and pieces that were left behind by the previous owners. We're ready to take a truckload o' shark fodder to the dump, I tell ye'! There was a lot of it! The windshield is the only thing that has been difficult to remove, as it is bolted from beneath the dash and we'll have to climb under to do it. Most of the rest of the old fittings gave up without a fight.

I reverse engineered (took measurements) of the Land Shark hull and modeled it in AutoCAD in 3D. Saber and I then started experimenting with different designs. We've completed the design phase of the aft (rear) cabin, which you can see in the image below-

Here's what you're looking at- The Land Shark will be black with red trim when it is done, but cyan (lt. blue) shows up better on a 3D model, so the color is not accurate.

The upper rim of the hull had varying levels. The outermost level makes a perfect ledge to rest the plywood cabin on. It will be be nailed securely to 2x4's which are bolted to the top of the hull's rim and also to an inner frame, consisting of 2x4's and 4x4 posts bolted to the hull.

The aft cabin rises 2' up from the rim of the hull, and hangs over 1-1/2' off the back. There are 5 scroll support moldings beneath the cabin and two on the upper deck rails.

These windows were won on Ebay this morning (they cost more than the whole Land Shark did!) There are 4 of them and they are 2'x1' panes.

57_1.JPG

The deck rails are 2'x4' with 4x4 cornerposts. The fancy-looking spindles are nothing more than Nestle Quick chocolate milk bottles spray painted red!

So here it is... the aft cabin conceptual model.

LandSharkAftCabinConcept.jpg

Additionally, I have also found a ship's wheel, which I hope to have mounted on a post for the kids to play with at Ojai and for picture-taking. I also located a crows nest- which is a wine keg planter, made out of extremely light-weight foam. The masts, yardarm (cross-piece) and bowsprit (pole out the front) will be black 4" PVC piping.

Wow.

Th' LandShark's going t' be a lovely marvel when yer done with it, Quill!

I say the FakeGerman sign I quoted for ye should go near the "cannons"

Hee.

"Der BiggenBoomen is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben!"

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

Arrrr, lassie, that be a fine piece of work ye be doin'.

I suggests ye take pictures o' yer progress so's ye can show all the work and love that went into makin' this vessel. I hopes ter see her someday. :)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I just wanted to share something funny- I decided to run a quick internet search on Pipestone Mariners, the type of boat that the Land Shark is. I stumbled upon a site called www.fiberglassics.com for enthusiasts of the old fiberglass pleasure boats of the 50's 60's & 70's. They have this section called "Mystery Boats" full of photos of abandoned hulls in cornfields and such where you try to identify the maker. And I love the name of their forum..."Daily Fiber!!!" :huh: