'Corsairs of St. Malo' - Archaeology special

dasNdanger

Not sure if this is the proper forum for this, so feel free to move if it belongs somewhere else...

The Corsairs of St. Malo, a special about France's privateers (17th-18th centuries) and the sunken ships found off the coast of this port town, will air on the Science Channel's Science of the Deep series on September 24, 2004 (I do not have air times).

There is a small write-up about the show and the excavation of the sunken vessels in the Sept/Oct 2004 issue of Archaeology magazine. Since a French team lead the expedition, the article warns that much of the documentary is dubbed, "and not very well, which is distracting". But it continues: "To its credit, "Corsairs" shows archaeology as it often is - slow and frustrating, but with enough tantalizing leads to drive the research forward. By the end, the team pins down the identity of the St. Malo corsairs, giving the city its first concrete link to a notorious privateer past."

This sounds interesting, so I wanted to let everyone know in time...if you have access to this channel, make a note to tune in!!

das

Naw, this be just the place for such a thing . . . I think.

Anyways, here be a link to the blurb about it on the archaeology.org site.

For centuries, the French port of St. Malo was known to English merchants as the "Hornet's Nest." Sharp rocks and treacherous approaches made the coastal town a haven for France's fleets of privateers . . .

http://www.archaeology.org/0409/reviews/france.html

Unfortunately I don't get the Science Channel here in where I am and I would like to know more. After you give it a watch, maybe you wouldn't mind letting the rest of us know what ya think about the program, the subject or both.

• 3 years later...

Thanks, Rhumba!....I posted this silliness just so I can see the some o'those gif animations...and naturally you come up with the best. B)

atually, you missed all the fun. I had redacted some of the existing post before you saw it. I have been doing a bit of research on the St. Malo pirates. St. Malo is a seaport on the French side of the English channel. I am most interested in one individual who was a privateer by the name of Beauchesne (1652-1730) who discovered the Falkland Islands....a name that makes me cringe when telemarketers try to pronounce it

St Malo Pirates & Privateers (in french)'

Most of my family comes from that region, so....I was 'hoping' that maybe I have some real "pirate" blood in me.

Oh well. Any of you fans of the movie Master &Commander, I'm on the Acheron side....so now you have a reason to hate me. B)

SHIP2-1.jpg

Re-discovered perhaps: John Davis reached the Falkland Islands in the 16th century. Also, FWIW, the man who named the Islands was John Strong, whose next (and last) voyage was in command of the Charles II with his first mate, Henry Every.

Have you read "The French Corsairs" by Lord Russell?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I am most interested in one individual who was a privateer by the name of Beauchesne (1652-1730) who discovered the Falkland Islands....a name that makes me cringe when telemarketers try to pronounce it

I am going to guess it is pronounced Bo-Shain.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Re-discovered perhaps: John Davis reached the Falkland Islands in the 16th century. Also, FWIW, the man who named the Islands was John Strong, whose next (and last) voyage was in command of the Charles II with his first mate, Henry Every.

Foxe, Thanks for the book reference, mate!

I don't doubt your word. A lot of people passed through. Jaques Gouin de Beauchesne discovered an island, as in ths passage from Falklland Islands History

In 1701 Frenchman Jacques Gouin de Beauchesne discovered and named Beauchene Island, the most southerly island in the Falklands archipelago. The name 'Falkland's Land' was given to the whole archipelago in 1708 by Captain Woode Rogers, an English privateer who was later made Governor of Jamaica. Rogers sailed round the Islands in his two ships 'The Duke of Bristol' and 'The Duchess of Bristol' but owing to the wind he was unable to land.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Oh, I am sensitive to last name pronunciation. Let's just say my own can be a doozy. I don't think so, of course, but for a fairly straightforward name, people sure can butcher it at times.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum