Hats

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoy Stinky! :(

I'd love t' sea yer hat pics....It don't be botherin' me none to wait...

Fair winds,

DEADLY DRUCILLA

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Pause My Friend, As You Pass By. -As You Are, So Once Was I. -As I Am, So Shall You Be. -Prepare You Then, To Follow Me.

(written on a gravestone)

Arr LadyAtropos,

Like most things, it really depends what level you’re interest is and how much effort you be wanting to be put in.

If your interested is to build a hat from the ground up, starting with raw or carded wool, making a felt hat blank and get to shaping, The Hat Shapers site might be a good place to at least start learning. Besides a slue of hat forms, they’ve got a couple slide show type tutorials on making your own felt hat blanks, shaping and a bunch of related links.

http://www.hatshapers.com/

Now as much as I enjoy making me own hat blanks, I think I have more fun just steaming, shaping and working with pre-made blanks.

As for equipment, I use a pot of boiling water to steam and loosen the wool fibers, a hat form to stretch the crown over, a sprits water bottle and a hot iron to flatten out the brim.

Here's a picture of old reliable, my aluminum pot that I boil water in to steam my felt hats. I also use it to dye single pieces of clothing, that’s my shirt along with some tea bags.

boiledShirt06082003.jpg

Aha, thank ye, Stynky, my hero! :(

I shall use yer link wisely...I don't know when I get as far as making me own hat ('twould take some persuasion for the parents to let me try it in their kitchen, methinks, and with me a teen there's no other place ta do it in!) but your info is extremely useful nonetheless in plannin' what I need for the next big project.

argh, just as one question is answered, another pops up:

Does anyone know when the rounded-top straw hat became the norm for the ladies? I see most lady's hats are flat a-top and shallow with a wide brim...I'm makin' a Regency style gown (quite proud--a pattern I made meself, no less, and it actually fits!) an' I refuse to wear a bonnet :( so I'm trimmin' a round straw hat I had around...but in the future, I will procure meself a more accurate one if that be necessary.

Thank ye kindly!

LA :(

Arr there Artemis, that be the same place Mister Red'and be suggesting back on page 2. They look to be mighty fine hats! What kind of price did you get fer what hat?

Stynky-

The High Cock'd ( No. 250) on page 5 of their hats. Friend got 'er fer me, think he sed he paid $68 for it. It be well worth it! Fine hat, good quality!

Hope that helps

Artemis

Purveyor of fyne plundar since 1605!

Ahoy Captain Cronus!

If ye can find someone who has a tricorn, I'd suggest ye borrow it and a reflecting glass and see how it looks before spending yer hard-won coin. With a tricorn, ye don't have as much protection from the sun--but it definitly funnels the rain away from the back of yer neck! And ye do have a bit mor surface for adding fancy bits and fair favors to dress yer hat up. Just some thoughts on the matter.

Good luck at finding the hat best suited to ye! :ph34r:

Good day ta ye all. I be looking fer a hat fer me mate. She is partial to green ( emerald, forest, ect ) and I be having a hard time finding thast colour. Any ideas?

Animal

:lol:

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Thank ye Jelly Fish Girl fer yer post. I'm going to have to contact them fet their price list and see I if need to raid the banker again.

thank ye again,

Animal

:blink:

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Ahoy there LadyAtropos,

Now I know that you be thinking, “Garrsh, that Stynky be a real flake exclamationAnim.gif” ( ancient nautical terms )

Well it be true, between the out of town visitors, visits from me in-laws and the summer lightning storms taking out me internet connection, I be ‘aving a wee bit of trouble getting me “in process” pictures of Pirate Molly’s tricorne posted… not to mention that I actually ‘aven’t done any work on it either.

Arrr, I said not to mention that exclamationAnim.gif

Anyway, me in-laws ‘ill be heading for ports else where in a couple more weeks, I’ll likely be getting back to it some time there after.

Sorry again for the wait.

Now I know that you be thinking, “Garrsh, that Stynky be a real flake ” ( ancient nautical terms )

Arr, not a bit, not a wee bit! I meself have many a struggle with the steamin' hulk o' plastic an' metal known as me computer, so I have a tendancy to be rather late postin' things elsewhere, as well, not to mention just plain not havin' the time. No need to apologize.

On the straw hat front, I ended up sticking with my historically inaccurate round one...or so I thought. Really what happened was I accidentally forgot to bring my straw hat with me to the HH fan gathering, so I was hatless and bonnetless. Oh how scandalous.

I'm still interested in making hats, though! It seems to be a very creative and fun skill.

:ph34r:

LA

Captain Cronus,

if yer talkin about the hatcrafters listed in a link above,you have to call thier toll free # 1.866.651.4021

they have a discounted page that have hats with flaws that will give you an idea of the pricing

they have the #50-george washington in black w/red braid for $48

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Captain Weaver, have you got your "thrum"(?) cap finished yet? I'd love to see it. I have tried sifting through pics of hats and haven't found a single picture of a thrum cap. I could be spelling it wrong or looking in the wrong places.

Anyhow, I love to see what all the rest of the pirate bunch have up their sleeves!

Ah, and I finally finished my "wedding hat." It's a thick white felt gambler-style cowboy hat with a shorter brim and flattened crown. Since the edges of the brim are wired, it was a snap to discombobulate into a tricorne. I attached a majorly fluffy white feather boa, and voila!

Instant wedding hat. I love it, and my honey says it's "me." Most of the folks I know might take that as an insult, but I think it looks right snazzy.

It'll be on my head at the PIP Festival in December. My dates are planned as December 2-8. That way, I'll get in all of the festivities. I have created four hats. Three tricornes and one cavalier. I'll have to figure out how to post pictures of them!

Arrgh!

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Captain Weaver, have you got your "thrum"(?) cap finished yet? I'd love to see it. I have tried sifting through pics of hats and haven't found a single picture of a thrum cap. I could be spelling it wrong or looking in the wrong places.

well...the unfinished cap got thrown in the wash accidently before it was felted inside...so...I lost some of the yarn and am having to re-pull much of it...I'll post pix when I have em.

:)

here is a link to a rather humorous looking man in a thrum cap

1590's ship's captain???

:huh:

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver

>>>>>>>>

here is a link to a rather humorous looking man in a thrum cap

1590's ship's captain???

>>>>>>>>

Have a care there, Cap'n. The chap's a good friend o' mine and a real decent sort. Does some amazing research and has a huge library. Got me a facsimile of 'The Mariner's Mirror" He's into major authenticity, so doesn't do much with pirates, but for the re-enactment side, he's tops.

The thrum cap is from The Practical Goose. One of the 16th-17th C sutlers, not on line yet. Email Leigh Tartaglia at Leigh@dandy.net and she has some in stock or will make them for you.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

ahoy there Hawkins,

no offence intended,

just as I know that I am funny lookin in my sheep's elbow vest,that man hasta know he looks funny in them specs.

humor is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes authentic period garb is just funny as hell.

:) :ph34r:

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Aye, that's our goode shipmate under that thrum cap - Elias Gedney, from the SCA-Nautical list!

Though I've never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, I feel as though I've known him for years - HAVE, really, from the Nautical list.

There are over 300 subscribers to that list, and I'd rate Shipmate Elias as the most knowledgeable of all; especially regarding the Elizabethan era.

Capt. William

:)

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye, that's our goode shipmate under that thrum cap - Elias Gedney, from the SCA-Nautical list!

yes,of course.I have read and appreciated his posts there as well.

:unsure:

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson