Curse of the Black Pearl

It would seem that the Aztec Treasure may well truly be cursed...

Ill gotten? Mayhaps... depends on one's perspective, I suppose.

It so happend that long about June, 2002, when the Prop Production Department for Disney Productions put out feelers for props, and called upon Renegade Effects, of Burbank Calif. for a counseltation and examination of Piratical artifacts and various treasures... some of which were Aztec Bronzes.

I had recieved a call from Dragon (Renegade Productions) about a pending counseltation. I had done good business with Dragon on many occasions in the past. He seemed very excited about the propects of working with the Disney people and wanted me to consign some of my Pirate genre and treasure for them to see.

Having worked with Disney in the past, I had a pretty good idea of what was about to transpire. I informed Dragon that most likely, they would want to see everything, ask a lot of questions, take pictures and then go out and find the lowest bidder for production. He was still optomistic.

Renegade went to the Disney production shop with some swords they had made for the movie, and an assortment of artifacts on June 17th, 2002. He had been informed that there was to be a cursed treasure as part of the scenario for the movie, but there hadn't been anything difinitive as of that date.

In and amongst the treasure that was presented by Renegade were three Aztec Bronzes. Interpretations of historical pieces done by the internationally reknowned artist, "O" (his legal name is "Universal O"). There were design elements in the "interpretations" of the Aztec Calendar, the Sacraficial Goddess and the Aztec Warrior King Bonzes that were unique to his work and not in the historical originals. It would seem that these unique design elements also appear on the Medallion from the Cursed Aztec Treasure.

Coinsidental? I wonder?

Ultimately, what I had mentioned to Dragon about the outcome was exactly what happened. They looked, they asked, they took pictures and went out and found the lowest bidder. Renegade Effects got nothing, not a thank you, not an order, nothing.

Sour grapes? I don't think so.

I was fortunate enough to see the Curse of the Black Pearl on July 1, 2003 at a preview screening at the Mann Village in Westwood. Love the movie! I will have to see in another half dozen times before I get my fill of it.

As for the crused treasure... we all know what became of the crew of the Black Pearl...

Lusty Winds My Friends,

Robin St Graves

Medieval Fantasies

Ah my dear Sir, tis a sad thing when one gets 'pirated' from another.

But with any luck you'll best yer enemy with higher quality goods that what can be gotten from cheap sellers.

My bet is on you dear Robin, as I be knowin' ye fer a long while, and yer goods are mighty fine. :ph34r:

RumbaRue

**The best kept secrets are in my bloomers** :ph34r:

Addendum...

The following missive is from a description of a Sega Megadrive Game ~ Greendog ~ put out in England in 1991. Seems our mouse friends get their inspiration from all over the world.

Greendog is one unlucky surfer. He lost his board and got stuck with a cursed necklace. Greendog has to fight his way his way past a lot of crazed creatures and monsters to find the Aztec treasure or he'll never get rid of the curse. Excellent cartoon platform adventure game.

Here's a link to see the game ~ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...egory=3644&rd=1

"Take it all! Give none of it back!"

Lusty Winds My Friends,

Robin St Graves

Medeival Fantasies

www.medievalfantasies.com

Addendum...

The following missive is from a description of a Sega Megadrive Game ~ Greendog ~ put out in England in 1991. Seems our mouse friends get their inspiration from all over the world.

Greendog is one unlucky surfer. He lost his board and got stuck with a cursed necklace. Greendog has to fight his way his way past a lot of crazed creatures and monsters to find the Aztec treasure or he'll never get rid of the curse. Excellent cartoon platform adventure game.

Here's a link to see the game ~ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...egory=3644&rd=1

"Take it all! Give none of it back!"

Lusty Winds My Friends,

Robin St Graves

Medeival Fantasies

www.medievalfantasies.com

Greendog. I remember that game. I played it all the time. Now I'm addicted to roller coaster tycoon too (Made many a Piratical themed amusement parks) and instead of playing a surfer on a game, I play one in real life.

• 2 months later...

AY, it's an old and sadly common piracy story......brings to mind, "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" (who said that?)

.....but if you put a M____y M____e face on anything (an acquaintance knitted a MM sweater for a charitable donation , which, unfortunately found its way to the news photo on the event, another painted the mermaid clan on nails in a nail art competition...shown in a magazine....sigh)...they'll have your b___s faster than you can say M___e C__b (whether you have em'or not).