Wheel lock project now underway

I finally did it. After screwing up a piece of cherry, then walnut, I have commissioned Mr. Jeff Miller of flintlock forge in Maine to build it for me. It will look something like this one when finished:

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/WestPointMilitaryMuseum/Muzzleloaders/images/10GermanWheellockMoorishShnaphaunceKurdishMiqueletEnglishFlintlockMusketoonSwissFlintlock.jpg

The top one with the Dutch club butt. I was going to go for carbine, but I decided that since I am no longer doing living history/reenacting I want something I can hunt with. It will be .58 smooth, iron mounted cherry. Hopefully by this time next year I will be turkey hunting with it. I'll try and post photos of it when it gets done.

Bo

Not playing dress-up anymore. I am going full circle back to what I started doing at 17; shooting black powder muzzleloaders. I enjoy shooting and hunting more than anything and my path has been wandering too far from this in pursuing the material culture of historical reenacting and living history. I love to shoot live ammo and there just isn't much of that in the reenacting/living history community. I can have more fun in my bib-overalls, combat boots and ball cap than decked out in linen and wool, in shoes that hurt my feet. It was a good run and I learned a lot, but firearms are what "trips my trigger." I will continue to check in on things, maybe offer some knowledge or experience if it helps the cause, but mostly I am done with participating in the hobby. Burning powder, flinging lead, and taking meat is where I belong.

Bo

• 3 weeks later...

I finally did it. After screwing up a piece of cherry, then walnut, I have commissioned Mr. Jeff Miller of flintlock forge in Maine to build it for me. It will look something like this one when finished:10GermanWheellockMoorishShnaphaunceKurdi

The top one with the Dutch club butt. I was going to go for carbine, but I decided that since I am no longer doing living history/reenacting I want something I can hunt with. It will be .58 smooth, iron mounted cherry. Hopefully by this time next year I will be turkey hunting with it. I'll try and post photos of it when it gets done.

Bo

Damn! That's a sweet piece.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received word that the barrel and ramrod channel are done and the lock is to fitted soon. I was not expecting this so soon as I was under the impression that the barrel was on backorder til about September/October. Dang, I guess I better get busy building accoutrements!

Bo

• 1 month later...

The whizzer is complete. I will be sending final payment on August 2nd, and the gun will ship to me as soon as that is received. I will do my best to try and post photos of it. I was not expecting to see this before the first of next year, so I ordered an Early Virginia rifle "in the white" that I have been working on so to have a good gun to hunt with this fall. I am sighting it in today as I finished tuning the lock last night. Now I will have to flip a coin to see which gun goes to the woods this deer season! Decisions decisions....

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

The target photo is the very first shot fired at 70ft. off-hand with 55g. of 2f goex, and a.570 roundball(no patch) cast from my worn-out old Dixie gun Works brass bag mold. It doesn't cast very good and has had thousands of ball cast for demo over the last 15 years. I can't wait to get some good Hornady bullets through it. my fourth shot was in the center about 1/4" from being dead-on. The photo in the chair is shot with my new Early Virginia rifle kit I have been working on. Well,I'll tryto get a better post when I can get moretime.

Bo

The ignition is amazingly fast! Quicker than any flintlock I have ever fired. It does spit hot flash from the pan back across the index finger, so I'll have to wear a glove for repeated firing. Nothing to do with the quality of the lock or gun maker, just part of the design as the wheel cuts through the priming pan leaving the bottom open along the backside. I can deal with it though. The natural cherry will eventually darken to a walnut color, so for now I'll have to hide myself really well when hunting with it. Trying to decide on a name, so far "Captain Klok" or "Spitfire" are in the hat. Capt. Klok is an off-hand reference to the movie Blackrobe.

Bo

• 1 month later...

"Captain Klock" continues to amaze and entertain wherever I take it. I took it out this morning for to hunt stupid turkeys, but alas, only some intelligent ones could be heard as they moved off toward a distant ridge at sunrise. It was a wet morning after a rain overnight and heavy dew with fog in the creek channel. The priming absorbed moisture and the charge failed to go off, took some cleaning and some patient coercion to get it cleared. Gonna be a dry-weather only gun it seems.

Bo

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...