Swivel / Rail gun images sought

Cannibal Chrispy

I am looking for photos, drawings, blueprints.what have you, of swivel guns featuring a wooden "pistol" type grip, and or flintlock or percussion locks. There is also a specific photo of a french, bronze, percussion gun matching the above discription, in a glass case in a an english museam, that was lost on my previous computer and i am unable to relocate, Any help you can provide would be greatly appriciated! Thank you, and have a great day!

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

in "boarders away II" on page 65 there is a drawing of a french canon a queue with iron breech block and internal lock mechanism 1790-1800. it looks like a swivel with a pistol grip, trigger with trigger gaurd on the grip and flintlock ignition. instead of trunions it has a large lug with a bolt hole through it.

No, it was an actual photo of a bronze, french, swivel gun in a museum, side mounted percussion lock and a wood pistol type grip, mouted on its yolk in a glass case with a few smaller things. And if my memory serves, in a maritime museum somewhere in England, It came from a website where several people had exchanged photos, it may have been a hunting website i just cant recall.

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

that drawing is on page 66 fig 20, there is also a picture (photo) of that weapon on page 67. i wish that i could scan it for you. the caption on the photo reads" early 19th century french espingole: this specimen displayed at the uss consitution museum.

it is similar. the difference are, there is a trigger with guard located on the handle just aft of the breech of the barrel right where the handle starts to curve downward. instead of trunnions it has a moulded lug on the bottom of the barrel in the same area as the trunnions on your drawing with one hole going all the way through (left to right) to slide a bolt through to lock it into a mount (like a civil war boat howitzer. now, if you are asking if your drawing is the same as the one i stated as being in the uss constitution museum it is the same.

England(?) circa 1800. Older, reused barrel of a hackbut from circa 1600. Octagonal cross-section with a swamped muzzle and smooth bore in 21 mm calibre.

Simple flintlock, inscribed "Moore" and the date "178?" hardly legible on the lockplate. Walnut full stock with simple furniture. At the forestock suspended iron sleeve

with spring catch and trunnions on the sides as well as an attached forked support. Length 180 cm.

Rare example of a heavy naval musket that was attached to the ship's railing for a better absorption of the blowback.

04404.jpg

Found at: http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm60.pl?db=kat60_s.txt&f=ZAEHLER&c=0&t=temartic_S_GB&co=7

PS: lots of interesting stuff there...