Cannon Dimensions

CptRoberts

I am posting this to get some information for a reproduction I am making. I am trying to make a reproduction of a standard English Long 9 Pound cannon.

If anyone can give me any and all measurements (bore diameter, overall length, circumfrence, etc...) it would greatly help. Or if you know of some source material that has this information, it would greatly help.

Thank you to all,

Cpt. Nathaniel Roberts

What year? Iron or bronze?

pattern dates varied, so did foundaries. I've got the books at home and I can give you info, but 'standard' is a very fuzzy term when it comes to 18th c artillery.

Hawkyns

:D

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I am posting this to get some information for a reproduction I am making. I am trying to make a reproduction of a standard English Long 9 Pound cannon.

If anyone can give me any and all measurements (bore diameter, overall length, circumfrence, etc...) it would greatly help. Or if you know of some source material that has this information, it would greatly help.

Thank you to all,

Cpt. Nathaniel Roberts

What precisely are you refering to? The ordinance board had patterns for both long barreled and 'short' barrelled 9 pound cannon, but that may not be what you are looking for if you seek a 'long 9'. It is my understanding that these reference a 32 pounder, sporting a 9' Barrel, and usually inhabiting the lowest deck of a 3rd-1st rate, occassionaly used as bow or stern chasers (on larger ships).

At any rate, even the 9 pounder is a substantial piece of ordinance, it will weight several tons, even on a truck carriage. A 3-4 pound 'minion' would be more managable, 6 pounders for the 18th century was about the normal maximum for a field gun tube (you would see bigger bore howitzers, but the shorter, thinner walled barrels brought the weight down).

So which one do you seek?

I found me a local source for replica ship's canons. They are about four foot long, on a wooden carriage w/ wood wheels. They don't fire but the price is good at $119 each. No more room in my cabin (home office) I'll have to be nice to the first mate to get a place in the living room.....lol

They look kinda like this one

cannon2.jpg