Re-finishing a French 1733 Pistol

Captain McCool

Last year I bought my first functional flintlock. It is a French 1733 model, pictured here:

P33FR_right.jpg

So far, I like it quite well. It's got a good shape overall, a belt clip, and it sparks quite nicely, though I have not yet been able to actually fire it. It came with a sort of glossy finish that I'm really not very happy with, and as I've worn it this has started to scratch and rub off. What I'd really like to do is take the thing apart, sand down the stock, and refinish it to something not quite as shiny/flakey, and preferably more period. I'd also like to adjust it a little so the metal parts fit a little more seamlessly, which is a problem I have with most all modern flintlock repro's.

I was wondering if any of you have suggestions on what the best way to go about this would be, and maybe even to add some slight imbellishments to the stock. Keep in mind that I am a complete newb when it comes to both woodworking and flintlock firearms.

Anything helps!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Yeah I sold one of those pistols...Beautiful weapon.....I would suggest using formb'ys to remove the top coat of laquer and then apply mineral oil to the stock. It actually hardens the wood and brings out the grain. On my Virginia rifle I used straight gun oil on the stock after I got my desired stain on..Really made the Curl pop and gave it that backwoods look. Everytime I clean the gun I coat the stock liberally with gun oil and scratches to the stock just disappear....

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

Thanks! Good suggestions.

I also should mention that I accidentally chipped a fairly large chunk out of the grip, right along the part of the butcap that runs up the stock, about halfway to the top. For the moment I just glued it back in, but I'm not sure what to do there in the long run. Should I just make sure its really secure with wood glue then sand it down and finish it with the rest?

And do you guys have any suggestions for embellishing the stock at all? I have a beautiful non-firing replica that has some not-overly-ornate leaf/floral carvings in the stock, and I'd love to do something similar here, but I don't really have the expertise. Or would it just be best to leave it plain?

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Depends on your taste really. That's the beauty of being a pirate. You can decorate it up as much as you want or keep it plain. I've transferred decorations from a non firing replica to a working pistol before with no troubles. Wood glue and small finishing nails or screws and it looked great. If you decide to decorate the stock it's not difficult but I would suggest getting some scrap wood to practice on first. You can find woodcut stencils on line easily enough or you can draw your own design. I wouldn't call myself a woodworking "expert" by any means but I found with the skills I have for drawing and painting that woodcarving from a stencil was pretty easy the first time I tried it. With the piece of the grip you had to glue back in though it might make it difficult depending on where you wanted to put the design. I wouldn't be too worried about lack of skill, just practice a few times on scrap wood and you'll feel confident enough to move on to the stock. Can't wait to see how it all turns out

For refinishing the stock, I use Formby's low sheen tung oil to give a nice, hand-rubbed antique look. I use this on my pistol stock as well as the wooden grips of my swords. It forms a durable, hard finish on the surface, and if it ever gets scratched, you simply wipe on another thin coat and the scratches are gone...

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

For refinishing the stock, I have used low sheen tung oil to give a nice, hand-rubbed antique look. I use this on my pistol stock as well as the wooden grips of my swords. It forms a durable, hard finish on the surface, and if it ever gets scratched, you simply wipe on another thin coat and the scratches are gone...

Agreed - Tung oil is great and easy to use. Looks wonderful as well. I have had luck with glueing broken pieces of wood back in, waiting till dry, sanding and refinishing.

ihtcbanner.jpg

Thanks for all the advice! I cant wait to get started on the project. It'll probably be a little while yet, but I'll be sure to post pics. Any other advice of course is always welcome!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

If ya wanna really tacky it up, where youre piece came out, glue it back in. Then take a small dog chew and boil it in water til it opens up to a square. While still wet, wrap around the wrist of the gun real tight. trim punch holes and lace ends together with sinew. Chews are made of rawhide, and if ya since em up snug while wet, they form a rawhide patch that looks gnarley and be period correct. ya could even india ink some sea designs on it and turn it totally renegade pirate. Let's face it if it shoots, tacky is better. You can even use small headed silver tacks to secure the piece. That looks really cool as well. Definately, I suggest makin' it look like its a repair, rather than trying to make it purty...IH

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

• 3 weeks later...

Probably just the stock. I don't think I have nearly the capability of working with the metal. Although it would be really neat to etch some designs on it.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Cool! Any photos?

-Captain Jack Sparrow