Looney Tunes

Mission

Returning to a somewhat nautical theme, here's an early (1942) Chuck Jones, featuring Conrad the Cat and a certain rather daffy Duck. Conrad's voice might sound familiar...because the voice actor is the same one as did the original voice of Disney's Goofy (Pinto Colvig).

So, here's Conrad...

Conrad the Sailor

Damn, thats sharp!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here we are, Prismo Beach and all the clams we can eat! (I don't know why I said that...)

Anyway, here it is, Saturday morning, and time for cartoons. And today, its a nautical theme twofer...the first one, by request, is:

Captain Hareblower

Quality isn't that great, but its viewable...

Next is:

Mutiny on the Bunny

This has one of the greatest lines in cartoon history..."I was a human being once!" Again, quality is so-so, but nonetheless, break out the rum (or sodee-pop) and enjoy.

Damn, thats sharp!

Yeah, the trouble with YouTube is that you never know what quality you'll get.

As you might suspect, Conrad was voiced by Vance "Pinto" Colvig, who also voiced Goofy. (Daffy was voiced by Mel Blanc, natch.)

Hairblower has great lines. I have been waiting to use (in the same tone): "Aha! An unprotected ship!" and "Surrender, Rabbit! I got ya' outnumbered one ta' one!" and "Prepare to de-fend yourself, Rabbit, cus' I'm a boardin' your ship! Charrrrrge!... Retreeeeeeat!", "You cain't get away with that Rabbit, cuz' I'm a comin' in after ya'!" or even, "You just wait there...I'll get ya' down!" (I really need to be on a ship during a re-enactment to make it work.) Also, the look on the swordfish skeleton's face is priceless.

I think the guy that says "I was a human being once!" in Mutiny is modeled after one of the people that worked in the cartoon studio. I also like the mouse's line (in thick Irish brogue) "He's not long for this world." And Sam's technique for fixing leaks should go into the Apparently there's a leak... thread. :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

As for animation, if I recall the conversations from High School with a friend who was determined to be an animators, I think the lesser animation rate is 8 frames per second as opposed to the 24 frames per second used in the higher quality animations.

Ah..took me a bit long to reply, but as I may have been involved in animation as a perfession for some time, I can tell ya, that it depends on the medium as to which frame rate ya git.

so- ideally feature films are on 1's- which means that you make 24 drawings per frame of sec on film. Video is slightly different.

most higher quality animation is done on 2's..12 drawings per second.

Limited animation ie: Hanna Barbera cartoons is done on 4's or higher..and relies upon reused moving backgrounds ( think of the moving walls in the Flintstone house ), and also relies on copious use of separate levels of animation, where certain drawings are "held"- ie one drawing is shot over a specific time period, rather than being drawn over and over again. This is generally something like legs, or a body, or a face where the only movement might be an arm- or in a lip sync, mouth movements.

and then you have rotoscoping- some animation companies like to call it "heavily referencing". Thanks Ralph Bakshi! This is taking live action film, and essentially tracing it to get a more "realistic" movement, and to save time, but it is pretty obvious when it is used.

That's it, I now return y'all to yer regularly scheduled thread...

<insert Road Runner Meep meep, tongue flick, and zip here>

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

And now for a musical interlude. Not a great clip in quality, but the best I could find, and as an added bonus, its in English!

Bugs takes on Rossini (and a couple others) while giving Fudd the business. This particular cartoon has been voted #12 of the 50 greatest cartoons of all time.

Rabbit of Seville

My next entry will be something of great cultural importance. No, really!

Damn, thats sharp!

That's my favorite WB cartoon ever. (Bully for Bugs is second.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I live to please...

And you'll be seeing more operatic cartoons soon, but I want to slip in one of my absolute favorites first. And there's some classic Road Runners coming up, too.

Always assuming, of course, that Youtube has them.

That's my favorite WB cartoon ever. (Bully for Bugs is second.)

Damn, thats sharp!

YouTube seems to have more of them than the Golden Age DVDs. I recently got the first 6 sets (the 7th doesn't look very interesting to me) and I was hoping to find Rabbit Every Monday ("Oh carrots are divine, you get a dozen for a dime, it's maaaaagic.") and the previously linked Tom Tom Tomcat, but neither of them were on the disks. Instead, in some of the later sets they actually put some of the cartoons (the good ones, admittedly) that had already on some of the previous sets. The only trouble I've found with YouTube is that some of them have the sound stripped out due to licensing issues.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I remember those laserdiscs! They were extensive (alas, they also require one to have a laserdisc player.) While they did have a large number of cartoons (probably about 350), they're not even close to being complete. There have been well over 1000 WB cartoons made since they began making them in 1929.

Mission_banner5.JPG

And here it is, number two on the list of the 50 Greatest Cartoons (Bambi Meets Godzilla is #38, btw...), and declared by the Library of Congress itself to be "Culturally Significant" Whoever says the 1950's were "repressed hasn't seen this.

This is my personal favorite (which may say something about me...and it says something about Chuck Jones, as well)

And now...I present to you...the adventures of a certain duck...

Duck Amuck

Damn, thats sharp!

It's a great cartoon on many levels - the cartoon dynamic, the definition of Daffy's character and the interplay between Bugs and Daffy among other things. (And yet it didn't work very well when they tried the same thing with Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thats true, about Mr B Bunny and E Fudd, that is. Perhaps its because we all think of the "wabbit" as being the perp, not the victim...at least not in this way. Of course, what makes Bugs Bunny funny in the Jones cartoons is the fact that, in the beginning of each cartoon, he's simply minding his own business, and anything that happens afterward is his revenge. But in "Rabbit Rampage", he's pretty much the victim throughout. I do plan on posting Rabbit Rampage today or tomorrow, for the sake of comparison.

It's a great cartoon on many levels - the cartoon dynamic, the definition of Daffy's character and the interplay between Bugs and Daffy among other things. (And yet it didn't work very well when they tried the same thing with Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.)

Damn, thats sharp!

Here's an ancient one: Shuffle Off to Buffalo

You'll never get that song out of your head after you hear it. :angry:

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here, as promised, is the sequel to Duck Amuck, Rabbit Rampage> Compare and contrast the two for yourself.

Rabbit Rampage

Sorry I haven't posted for a couple days...been hectic here, what with dealing with the Evil and getting meself in to work and all...but I got a few minutes to squeeze this in.

At the moment, I see no signs of spring marching in...but lots of squirrels frolicking...

And since I mention squirrels, I might as well make this a twofer, and offer up this fable for modern times (or they *were* modern over 50 years ago), the life of a squirrel in the Bigge Cittie...

Much Ado About Nutting

Damn, thats sharp!

I was discussing the spelling and meaning of the Yiddish word "Oy" with someone on-line and it reminded me of that cartoon.

I really like the animation on the squirrel in Much Ado About Nutting. Somewhere or another I heard that Jones spent a lot of time watching squirrels so that they could get the animation of the movement right (compare it to Shuffle Off to Buffalo to see just how far animation had come in 20 some years...)

Mission_banner5.JPG

I've been saving this one...a classic tale of college rivalries...featuring Dan Backslide (Coward Bully Cad and Thief), who utters the immortal line: "A runabout! I'll steal it! No one will *ever* know!"

Keep an eye out for the damsel in distress...

Damn, thats sharp!

And now the time has come to say goodbye.

Goodbye.

Mission_banner5.JPG

"Hoboken?! Oooooohhhh, I'm dyin' again!"

The concept is funny, but I always thought the penguin was a trifle annoying. Speaking of annoying little characters...

Birds of a Father

From the book Cat Psychology: "In order to grow up to be a real cat it is necessary to chase birds...catch birds...and..*gulp*...eat birds?!" (The idea that Sylvester needs a book on Cat Psychology is funny enough on its own...)

Mission_banner5.JPG

The Wearing of the Grin is one odd cartoon. It's sight enough to set the heart crossways in ye.

Speaking of odd cartoons, here's my favorite odd WB cartoon:

Dough for the Do-Do

"Hey! Whoayou?"

"I'm the la-la-last Do-Do. And I'm worth 6 Trillion Dollars!"

"6 Trillion dallas?"

Mission_banner5.JPG