Apparently there's a leak...

Mission

I was reading something last year or so about how fatiguing the constant use of the pumps were and how this might make men more susceptible to illness (which might well be a lot of bunk since many of the seaman's jobs were strenuous, although probably none so on-going as this one). Anyhow, this got me all interested in pumps and leaks vis-a-vis my research and so when I find something moving along that heading, I take note of it. So I thought others might enjoy this bit about this under-discussed aspect of seafaring from Nathaniel Boteler[butler]'s Dialogues, first published in 1685. The edition I'm reading was edited by W. G. Perrin and published by the Navy Records Society in 1929.

“The one [way to discover leaks] is by the use of an empty earthen pot, the mouth whereof is to be placed upon some piece of board within the hold of the ship whereto any man laying his ear as close as he possibly can, if there be any inlet of water in any part of the hold, or near unto it, it will be audibly heard; and the nearer or farther distant from the very part where the leaking is, the more or less it must needs be heard. So that by removing of the pot and board, to and fro from one place to another, and the application of your ear in all these removes, you shall at last by the conduction of your hearing attain unto the distinct knowledge of the certain part and place where the very leak is. And the same may also be performed by laying the broad end of a trumpet to one’s ear, and setting the other end to all those parts of the ship where any suspicion is that the leak may be, so that by removing it in this manner from place to place, the certain and particular part where the leak is, may at last be found and discovered.

Admiral. But being thus discovered how may they best be stopped?

Captain. When these leaks chance at sea, they may be stopped either within board or without board. The stopping of them within board,

__

especially when the leak is low amongst the ground timbers or hooks, is best performed by sinking down some tallow and coals mixed together and in some cases (when the leak is very great) pieces of raw beef, oatmeal bags, and the like stuff; but if the leak be anything high it is easily and readily stopped by the nailing of a piece of sheet lead upon the place; and if it was made by a shot it is then best done by the driving in of a plug into the hole, the said plug or stopple [of wood] being to be wrapped about with canvas.

If the leak to be stopped without board and that it be not over low towards the keel, it may be done by causing the ship to heel to the contrary side, and so to fasten some sheet lead upon the part; if it be found over low to do it this way, the course its to stitch or sew up a piece of a course [footnote 1: it is not clear whether he means the piece should be taken from one of the old courses, or whether he really means ‘coarse’] sail, or (which is better) some remnant of a small netting, into the form of a bag with some long and well opened rope yarns put within it, and then, sinking this bag under the keel, to bring it up as near as may be directly against the place of the leak and there let it lie, that by the indraught of the water the oakum or rope yarn that is within the bag may be sucked into the hole or crack of the leak, and so be stopped, or at the least the water somewhat restrained from so free an entrance as before.” (Boteler, p. 22-3)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just a bit of personal experience with one of the aforementioned applications. When launching a wooden boat that has been on the hard in a period such that would dry it significantly, upon launching the slipway was "dusted". Buckets of sawdust were heaved into the slipway. This would slow the water coming in enough that the pumps could keep up. As the planks swelled the sawdust would work free. Real dry, wide gaps? Substitute Oatmeal for sawdust. Although finding and mending is a great cure for a leak, I believe the major problem assosiated with ships leaking so that crews were sickened from pumping may not be that far from reality. There seem to be as many Shanties for Pumping as for Shorthaul, Capstan or other specific station. I know of one account of a crew so miserable from pumping and request that the Captain put in for repairs, denied, brought the crew to refuse to pump further. The Captain called all hands aft and from the break said "I have just as many friends in hell as you do. If you want to see'um, let's go!" At which point the crew on watch returned to the pumps.

It is the first job aboard. It is the last job aboard.

"Leave her, Johnny, Leave her. For it's time for us to leave her." Pumping Shanty, usually the Last

Edited by capn'rob

That's interesting! What is that account from?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just a bit of personal experience with one of the aforementioned applications. When launching a wooden boat that has been on the hard in a period such that would dry it significantly, upon launching the slipway was "dusted". Buckets of sawdust were heaved into the slipway. This would slow the water coming in enough that the pumps could keep up. As the planks swelled the sawdust would work free. Real dry, wide gaps? Substitute Oatmeal for sawdust. Although finding and mending is a great cure for a leak, I believe the major problem assosiated with ships leaking so that crews were sickened from pumping may not be that far from reality. There seem to be as many Shanties for Pumping as for Shorthaul, Capstan or other specific station. I know of one account of a crew so miserable from pumping and request that the Captain put in for repairs, denied, brought the crew to refuse to pump further. The Captain called all hands aft and from the break said "I have just as many friends in hell as you do. If you want to see'um, let's go!" At which point the crew on watch returned to the pumps.

It is the first job aboard. It is the last job aboard.

"Leave her, Johnny, Leave her. For it's time for us to leave her." Pumping Shanty, usually the Last

John Buck (the gunmaker) told me about an old wooden boat that he used to have. It was so old that it mainly held together from habit and the pressure of the water against the planks. He used the sawdust trick to stop up leaks.

Mark

That's interesting! What is that account from?

Too many years of personal experience! Working on old boats and owning them. The account of the semi=mutinous crew I got from Craig Edwards. A Shanteyman at Mystic Seaport Museum with time to research and the Blount Library at his disposal!

Edited by capn'rob

" if it be found over low to do it this way, the course its to stitch or sew up a piece of a course [footnote 1: it is not clear whether he means the piece should be taken from one of the old courses, or whether he really means ‘coarse’] sail, or (which is better) some remnant of a small netting, into the form of a bag with some long and well opened rope yarns put within it, and then, sinking this bag under the keel, to bring it up as near as may be directly against the place of the leak and there let it lie, that by the indraught of the water the oakum or rope yarn that is within the bag may be sucked into the hole or crack of the leak, and so be stopped, or at the least the water somewhat restrained from so free an entrance as before.” (Boteler, p. 22-3) "

I believe that is called fothering a sail, so the course would be an actual sail, with oakum and such wrapped within.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was a curious thing. Perhaps it was common, but the idea never occurred to me before. This is from Johathan Dickison's Journal or God's Protecting Providence; Being the Narrative of a journey from PORT ROYAL in JAMAICA to PHILADELPHIA August 23, 1696 to April 1, 1697.

Some set-up - Dickinson's party had run aground near Jupiter, Florida and been captured by Indians who burned their ship. They eventually gave the party their boat so they could leave. I don't know quite how big this boat was, but the party had 25 people in it, so I'm inferring that it could handle 25 people. Now for the actual relevant quote:

"Our boat was very leaky; so we got her into a creek to sink her, that the water might swell her."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I thought this was a curious thing. Perhaps it was common, but the idea never occurred to me before. This is from Johathan Dickison's Journal or God's Protecting Providence; Being the Narrative of a journey from PORT ROYAL in JAMAICA to PHILADELPHIA August 23, 1696 to April 1, 1697.

Some set-up - Dickinson's party had run aground near Jupiter, Florida and been captured by Indians who burned their ship. They eventually gave the party their boat so they could leave. I don't know quite how big this boat was, but the party had 25 people in it, so I'm inferring that it could handle 25 people. Now for the actual relevant quote:

"Our boat was very leaky; so we got her into a creek to sink her, that the water might swell her."

Here's my take on it. The Ship's Boat, most likely carried on deck, would dry out. Dry planks shrink. That would let all the seams leak enough that bailing would not keep up or ahead of. By sinking the boat, all planks would fully swell and at the same rate and the caulking wouldn't be disturbed. You wouldn't do just the bottom planks for if there was sail or they would jury rig something, you'd cover heeling.

In New England after a winters storage, the planks of our wooden sailboats would shrink so we would launch them, get them to the mooring and leave them for a week. A deep breath then furious bailing and there you are! Tight as a Duck's Butt! In cases where a boat has machinery and can't be sunk, depending how dry the winter was, you'd begin with garden sprinklers under the boat. Then hang them in the launching slings over a weekend. "Dusting" the slip is another method by which the launching slip is cast with sawdust or oatmeal to temporarely stop the seams.

That's what I got. Dutch "X" his mark

Edited by capn'rob