Ladies' Waistcoats...thanks to Ivan Henry aka Moose

Capt. Sterling

embrideredwifringewilliamsburg.jpg

Woman's waistcoat, embroidery and fringe trim

ca. 1700

Origin: England

OL: 24"; Waist: 26"; Width across back: 13"; OW: (folded) 16";

Cream tabby linen front, back and linings; silk embroidery threads; light brown linen fringe.

Gift of Mrs. Cora Ginsburg.

Acc. No. 1989-435

Lady's sleeveless embroidered waistcoat has a scooped, rounded neckline and shoulder straps. It is fitted through the body, tapering at the waist, and flares out at the hips in rounded skirts. There are no fasteners on the front edges. The waistcoat is of cream linen embroidered overall in a scalloped pattern with tan silk thread, and further decorated along front edges and on back with multicolored flowers, leaves, vines, and scenes. The front scenes show 2 mirror images of a bush with pink flowers, a gray bird with yellow and blue wings, and a lady dressed in similar colors with an apron of yellow and russet. The back has 2 red birds on the skirts, which are also surrounded with similar floral patterns to those on the front. The garment is constructed with a center back seam and side seams which open with 10" vents at the skirts of the garment.

embroderedwaistcoatwilliamsburg.jpg

Woman's waistcoat, quilted

1700-1725

OL: 19 1/2" Waist 21 3/8".

Cotton quilted with yellow silk back stitches; cotton lining.

Acc. No. 1991-509

Girl's or small woman's sleeveless waistcoat of white cotton, quilted with back stitches in gold color silk in a pattern of slightly scalloped diamonds with interwoven ribbons and daisy-like flowers at the points of the diamonds, with various fillings of scrolls, cross hatchings and flowers. Waistcoat has low neckline with narrow shoulder straps; eight eyelets on each side of the center front for lacing closed, with rounded fronts and side hip panels. Lined with white cotton. Possibly worn with separate stomacher (missing). Edges bound with tabby cotton, probably same fabric as face fabric.

Label:

Woman's or Girl's Waistcoat

England, 1700-1725

Cotton, silk embroidery, and unknown filling

Gift of Cora Ginsburg, 1991-509

Ink outlines for the embroidery and seam lines indicate that this waistcoat was embroidered to the exact shape needed for the finished garment; time-consuming embroidery was not wasted where it was not needed. Quilting and embroidering with pale yellow silk on a white ground was especially fashionable in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries. The style originated from imported Indian embroideries that used naturally yellow tussah silk.

quiltedwaistcoat.jpgWoman's waistcoat, quilted silk satin

ca. 1700

OL: 24" from shoulder to hem. Waist 22 1/2" Quilting pattern grid approximately 3/8" to 1/2" wide, forming small diamonds. Length of tie ribbons varies 7" up to 9 1/2".

Silk satin, quilted with silk running stitches through thin wool batting and linen backing.

Acc. No. 1991-510

Woman's sleeveless waistcoat or bodice made of cream-color silk satin quilted in small diamond pattern to natural linen back using 8-9 quilting stitches per inch. Wide low neckline, with back straps brought around to front and tied with bows to front bodice just above underarms. Garment opens down the front and is tied with four one-1/16" silk ribbons. Garment has rounded fronts below the waist and rounded hip vents. Back center seam and rounded center back vents meet at waist. Interior linen strips sewn vertically over seams at center back and under arms for boning.

Provenance:

Ex Coll. Mrs. DeWitt Clinton Cohen

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

thank you captain sterling and moose!!!

look simple to make!!!

and now the NOT thank you part... STOP MAKING ME WANT ALL THESE PRETTY THINGS!!

just stop stop stop!!

geeez--- let me finish one thing first!!!

( THERE --MY BLAME FOR THE DAY!!!}

wait a minute! blaming does not good for anyone-- personal responsibility is the only thing that does anyone any good!

self control connie! self control!!

if only there were 32 hours in day...........

tell me, am i the only one who can imagine a fine jacket of silk produced nowadays , hack off the parts that are not necessary and VIOLA! done!!!!!!

and tomorrow is HALF OFF EVERYTHING at value village!!!

muwwaaaahhaaaaaahaaaaaaaa!!!

connie now doing the insane seamstress dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worsted woll. :::Stutters:: wha... bu... ehh... AHHH!! Lucky devil. :lol:

LOL, Constance... I'm there with ye. I've barely finished a new gown and now I want to make more having spotted a few more that I REALLY really like. On top of the 5 dozen outfits I want to make. I'm not joking folks.

There is never enough time, is there? Best to just lock us all up in a room and let us go at it with our outfits, aye?

Sterling.. Moose... and everyone else... keep 'em coming. :lol:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Lady Barbosa-- no need to explain! although i cant say i have a list of 15 things, i can say that there is not enough time to sew all i would love to own.... SO I HEAR YAH!!!

I HIT THE MOTHER LOAD TODAY bargain shopping!!!!leathers, lambs wool coat, silk wool suit , silk suit and scarf,to name a few things!!!

now, back to sewing!

• 2 weeks later...