Can Rum go bad?

LadyBarbossa

Is it possible for good rum to go bad?

How can one ensure their fine bottle of rum will last for more than a year.

Do you store it like wine, with the cork covered by the liquid? Or sitting up?

Do I need to worry about 'sediment'?

Do corked rum need to be drank right away or can it be stored for a year or more?

How do you know if rum has gone bad?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Is it possible for good rum to go bad? /quote]
The alcohol content of "good rum" is too high for it to spoil and there shouldn't be a great deal of sugar content left for a culture to grow ...so I think you're safe with it. /quote]

This is why it is "Good Rhum"

Rhum is good LadyBarbossa ...., (Yes) Cork down for long periods ., I've had rhum and tequila evaporate thru a dry cork ., about an inch to two in a few years.

Edited by HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

....I didn't know people allowed rum to sit for so long to worry about it going bad. I know every time we get a bottle it certainly doesn't last that long.... :-P

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I would have never thought i would hear a question like that from a pyrate.......

me rhum never lasts more than a few weeks....it is consumed.........and always if you have any rhum left share it....then you never have to worry bout it gettin bad.

Fair Winds

Yo Ho

Yo Ho.......

RUM.jpg

Nice.

Funny!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

RUM.jpg

Good one Patrick......I agree...Rum can't go bad....

Oh I dunno that last bottle must've had summat wrong wi'it coz it's given me a terrible headache.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Fyne rum last more than a year!?!?! :lol: When I get a bottle of my favorite Ron Zacapa 23 yr. old it don't last a weekend! Matusalem 15 yr. about five days, if I am studying like I should, three if I'm slacking.

I have some all-sorts that is getting close to a year old though, I'll let ya know tomorrow if it's any good. If ya don't hear from me, that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't still good. :lol:

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Do corked rum need to be drank right away or can it be stored for a year or more?

~Lady B

All VERY difficult questions, but I'll giver er a go.

Yes. Letting some body else drink yer rum is an example of good rum going bad.

A very perplexing question. I feel like a native with a backstaff not sure what it's all about. But er goes, I reckon if ye could put more than a years supply of rum in a bottle then indeed it could last fer more than a year. But that thar will be one big bottle!

If by that ye mean in some cheese eating frog cellar that be right out. Ye best store it like a firelock, under lock and key and out of reach of children. Now, if the cork be coverd by liquid there is the possibility that the bottle be upside down. Fair warned says I if ye plan to open it, besure and turn er right side up. As to sittin up, yea, that be how I start out drinkin rum and that be the best position. Can't say that be how I end up though.

AYE! Don't let yer mates back flush when ye share a bottle, right nasty it be.

Indeed it does, indeed it does! The very sight of a rum bottle with a cork makes think it needs to be drunk right away.....STORED!? I fail to comprehend the meaning of the word when applied to rum.

The bottle is empty.

Now I hope ye be findin all this valuable information worthwhile. However, if ye still be in doubt if yer rum is good or bad, please ship to me and I will render ye an opinion right quick and be returning it to ye right away. (Not responsible for any rum lost in transit.)

Fair winds,

Greydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

So... the funny stuff aside (yes, I was busting m' gut with Patrick Hand's cartoon there. Right great there, Patrick.:) )... Rum will not go bad then?

I've been wonderin'... cause I have a bottle of Pirate's Choice Molasses Reef, unopened in m' private stock... been savin' it for the right time. I've had it for two and a half years already.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Yes, it doesn't go bad. Especially, if it has never been opened. I have kept "beverages" for 10 years unopened and when opened they were right fine. (It was one of those special edition deacnter containers)

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Lady B if'n it's a special occasion yer waitin' on I have a list of lesser known holidays you can celebrate. I'd be happy to help with the celebrating if it means that rum is getting opened.

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

• 1 month later...

....I didn't know people allowed rum to sit for so long to worry about it going bad. I know every time we get a bottle it certainly doesn't last that long.... :-P

x2. :unsure:B)

"But why is the Rum gone?"

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it can go bad. Just had the experience. Here's how it happened (I think): The Straynge Brewe has been sitting corked tight on the mantle above the wood-stove, got too hot(?), too old(?), we drank some last night after all the easter hubub was over, Blondie and I both got very ill, and that is the only thing we had different than the kids, they did not get sick. It did have a bit of a stranger than usual bite to it.

FWIW

Bo

Yes, eventually, it does.

Unopened, it lasts a LONG time.

Once opened, it's a quicker process.

The actual time of both is affected by a wide number of factors including if there is ANY air gap, what the nature of the air in the bottle actually is, temperature at storage and if it varies, glass composition, some say light (others say it actually has no significant effect) and many, many more.

Also, I've been told different spirits age quite differently and are affected more certain factors than others.

In the perfect conditions, some Scotch has lasted several decades. Some claim a century, but the taste had probably significantly changed.

I've never had a bottle last long enough to worry about it. I've had the 1.5L bottles last for months of occasional drinking. Usually, I only have one or 2 at a time. Rarely are there 4 bottles w/ anything in them. When I do, it is several types of spirits, mainly Scotches and Rums. So, I'll consume w/ random drinking a bottle or bottles till out or near out before I buy more. The larger bottles are proportionally cheaper (less per mL, get mote for buck), so I like to get those and enjoy.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg