Womans Weapons

Silkie McDonough

There may be a better place for this so feel free to move it. (and remove that line when you do!) ;)

Lady Brower posted her "small wepons" and I thought it would be interesting to see what other items we women use in hand to hand. I know there are a few of you who have chosen some interesting weapons! On the other hand maybe you are looking for an idea. If you know what you want but can't find it maybe someone else can.

So go ahead ladies ...show off your "weapon" of choice!

EDIT/Clarification: I am speaking of/to those who strive for historical accuracy. A woman of the late 1600's early 1700's would not sport a brace of pistols or have a cutlass dangling at her hip. She may have a fan dangling from her wrist or a hatpin in her bonnet. If she were a baker perhaps she would use a rolling pin, that is what I am referring to. Some of these items can prove rather humorous in a skit where the women are defending the town!

Edited by Silkie McDonough

Good call... those with "real" weaponry were bound to start feeling irritated with my frivolity!

This is my new pointy thing.... otherwise known as a hair-pin, but sharp enough to draw blood easily enough and make it's way into fleshy parts. It is made of sterling silver.

100_2198.jpg

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

A woman is endowed with natural weapons with which men cannot compete.

You know, I would actually think a small punching dagger that could be hidden in a waistband would be most effective when combined with feminine wiles. (It would seem to me to be an excellent non-combat weapon, even if it may not have been in common use.)

11284.jpg

(Early 18th century (probably) Indian katar from the Royal Collection. http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/egallery/object.asp?object=11284 )

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I must note Silkie , that I find most women able to chose and master what most men can given physical restrictions. The biggest restiction seems to be the "social" attitude. In my teaching capacity with weapons of all types I find a surprising number of women who surpass thier male counterparts once the education and expariance field has been even somewhat leveled.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

The man behind the Davenriche European Martial Arts School (historic edged weapons training) once told me that a woman's wider hips allow for more mobility when swinging a sword, so she has a distinct advantage. Also, the fact that a woman's center of gravity is lower makes her more nimble in close quarters fighting. And since speed and skill will always beat size and strength, particularly when fighting with edged weapons, a woman who applies herself can do really well. I've been fighting with edged weapons for - geez, thirty years now - and can tell you from experience that this is true.

RHJMap.jpg

Ladies and gents, I cannot speak directly for dear Silkie, but I don't think the intent was to imply that women could not handle "manly" weaponry, but perhaps due to the fact that in period it would be less likely a woman would have been trained in the use of certain weapons, or been aloud to carry certain weapons it inspires a certain... creativity. Hence my dear hat pin, bone awl or the more obvious meat cleaver.

Having been call a pilgrim or puritan on more than one occasion and being told that by little linen "bonnet" makes me look so sweet and "innocent" some poor, unsuspecting gent might just find himself impaled through the temple with my dainty little hat pin. Why worry about a sword when I can bat my beautifuly eyelashes coyly behind a fan and bring a man within my reach to drop him so sweetly? *bats eyelashes for effect*

Joseph Addison said it well in reguards to fans (and their language) "Men have the sword, women have the fan and the fan is probably as effective a weapon!"

It's all about using what is available... ;-)

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

I tried to put a small bodice dagger in my front, but it left a nasty rash against my skin, so I don't do that anymore.

I would think a small knife like an eating knife (which I always have on my belt)or similar would be able to be hidden into a pocket or in the folds of a sash.

Lady Bower is correct. I apologize that I was not clear. I have a cutlass and a Murdock, I use them when I am a man in battle. As a woman who does living history I strive to be authentic. That women would no doubt be able to handle a musket or the like but may not, that is why I use a bed warmer loaded with hot coals. I have a hat pin. I have a pocket knife, a cleaver and an iron skillet worse case scenerio there is always the chamber pot. lol

Now c'mon..... ya canna get more *girlie* than this!! :blink:

SwordsThornGarden.jpg

When Lars made it he proclaimed... "Just b'cause yer be out there killing people, there be no reason that you canna look like a lady when yer do'n it!" B)

Roses, leaves *thorns*... (smooch) :huh:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

My dear that is very pretty!

And Silkie... I love the chamber pot! That is just lovely, yet oh so.., ICKY!

I also have a set of these:

wood-sp-fancy.jpg

Which are quite sharp (just ask my poor fingers) from The Scarlet Scarab. http://www.scarletscarab.com/scarlet6.htm

Lets not forget my wonderful wooden spoon (Ask Munk or Mr. Shamus how that feels!) and my lovely cast Iron cookware.

Edited by LadyBrower

My dear that is very pretty!

many thanks....

Fast too! The fastest Rapier I've ever owned! (One of Bob Andersons I used one was tad bit faster...)

(sigh) Those were the days.... before health issues and older age! :blink:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

theres one woman here with the most horrible and frightening weapon of all......yee all know of what i speak........it stirrs the pot, and whacks the head......bbuut iv never personally been threatened with it........though i have meet lady browers meat cleaver......i fared alot better than the ham......

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Well ladies that hatpin of Lady Brower's is probably more deadly than you might think. if used as a clandestine lethal weapon driven into the base of the skull just above the C-1 vertebrae and twisted, it is most often fatal. Or carefully driven into the ear canal can also be fatal or causing some serious brain damage. They were used by spies and assassins for generations. While you think they are becoming passionate and your guard is down the next thing you know since you mistakenly took her advances as affection she was just getting close enough to land the fatal blow.

ah yes,

that fatal blow disguised as passion....i will have to ask the gunner to post a photo when he can of his lady's favoured weapon. a lovely damaascus blade in the folds of petticoat or cloak. may have to look into getting a hat pin as well at some point. Other then that a cast skillet or a knitting needle works as well

given no other option, anything that comes to hand can be used. and ships hae alot of rope, garroting is effective

as any blade or gun and much more for the stealth.

Edited by Saltypots

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

• 1 year later...

The man behind the Davenriche European Martial Arts School (historic edged weapons training) once told me that a woman's wider hips allow for more mobility when swinging a sword, so she has a distinct advantage. Also, the fact that a woman's center of gravity is lower makes her more nimble in close quarters fighting. And since speed and skill will always beat size and strength, particularly when fighting with edged weapons, a woman who applies herself can do really well. I've been fighting with edged weapons for - geez, thirty years now - and can tell you from experience that this is true.

YUP!

Believe it or not my first weapon was a quarterstaff in order to get me going on a Bat'leth.

Now I've been working with various weapons for.. oh man... Since 1999 - I think.. I'd have to check my records.. But the fact that I am shorter then my primary fight partner and my weight is distributed in a way that I can balance, I am able to do a few moves that he finds difficult. I was also born with a curse and blessing. An already existing muscle mass and solid bone structure. I've been fairly bad to myself over the last few years and have to work a little harder to stretch and therefore move so no matter who you are (or what sex), once you start working with blades don't stop. Hurts like hell to start again.

If you are that curious:

http://www.youtube.com/bcrenfest#g/c/847A7DD62492EE1A

Emjoy.

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

I tried to put a small bodice dagger in my front,

Yes, on the games my friend and I (who are also playing Tortuga whores) have our girls wear bodice knives. And thanks to Red-handed Jill for the information about women'sadvantage in fencing - I'll use this information as spoken by one of my swordsmen :rolleyes: Iron Bess and Callenish Gunner, I love your posts too...(It seems I am "stealing" a lot from here... but it is indeed interesting...)

Edited by Elena

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-