ladies haircoverings

lady constance

went to pirates in paynetown and saw a plethora of womens head coverings....

were mob caps from GaOP?

i keep onlooking at paintings and art from the late 17th and 18th century..... so many variations.. and yet there are many women without head coverings and hair up-- was this just for their portrait that they did not cover their hair/ did it vcary by region/country/ religious belief?

can some one point me a book or website or other source?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I believe a woman's hair had to be covered in public. Going out without would be seen as trampy.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

RE: Please, NO Mob Caps.

Hi! I have been doing reenacting since 1974, as a hobby and professionally.

The level of authenticity has greatly improved since then, I am glad to say.

When I started I was required to go to original sources for my research, there were NO patterns, except maybe a

colonial zippered costume dress in McCall's pattern book for Halloween. I had to make my own patterns for the whole family.

The answer to your question depends on what decade you have picked to portray.

I was at Paynetown, and saw a wide range of clothing styles and gear.

I knew what the difference was and was still surprised to see some of the incorrect outfits.

The styles went from the 1600's to 1820, mostly, but even with some Buckskinner/trappers pioneer (1860) clothing, showing, too.

I am referring to the sleeveless chemise (underwear) worn like a blouse, but not covering over it.

The plastic lace (nylon) ruffle did not help it a bit.

I could not help but calling one woman on the fact that her blue print mob cap was WAY off. And offered her the loan of a white cap to wear.

I just could not stand to look at what was so wrongly being worn on her head next to me the whole weekend. Thankfully she had brought a white cap also, and was open to correction.

I have been called the "clothing Nazi" because of it, but it was so glarringly wrong, I had to say something.

It is no wonder the public visitors become confused about history and time periods.

A full circle fabric with a drawstring about 2 inches inside the edge is an invention of the DAR from the 1930's.

It is NOT period even for the Colonial era.

If you don't have long hair to plait, curl or twist up, then one has to decide what to do.

Paynetown is a mix for sure, so, contact me and tell me what time period you are portraying?

What is your character's station in life, and what length of hair do you have?

We can find a style/cap that will fit.

I have a better historical clothing collection of books than the Indianapolis Library, so, I know I can help you.

Back at home port and wanting to go again!

Spitfire Stevens

well now...

Lady Constance, your observation with the paintings is very interesting. Yes, for the most part, the more formal portraits were done sans headcovering, or with the most formal. As we've seen, the more upper-class the less was worn on the head. This is most likely because a woman of lower standing hand little more than her modesty to offer. In any case, most women would be required to wear a cap anytime she left her home.

The "mob" cap (the drawstring thing-y) is not appropriate, but their were round caps, some with ruffles, some with more of a brim. There are about a billion cap styles to choose from.

This page http://www.marquise.de/en/1700/howto/frauen/18hauben.shtml is very good. That site also has many paintings as well for reference. There is a book that I took from the library that I need to find again (I lost the paper where I jotted down the title!) that was full of paintings of common folk and women with caps.

I actually happen to like this covering a lot, I just made one for myself. It's very handy for working.

camelothood.jpg

Anywho... It's hard to go off what you see at festivals because they are so often a mix of reenactors entertainers, spectators just wanting to have fun and everyone in between! But then again, you already know that!

(It's funny this topic comes up, I'm sewing caps today... again! lol)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

sigh,

i know hae 3 differnt caps, and i am learning to dislike them all less. better a cloth covering then a sunburned head. My question is does one wear a cap underneath a bonnet?

i generally reserve the bonnet for market days and those festivals, very few, that i am not working. mostly i am guilty of twisting my hair up in some fashion and not wearing a cap unless i leave the tent.

still confused,

ye ships' potter

salty

almost strictly the dates of GAOP and my hair is waist length. protray the goodwife to an armourer

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

I didn't... I kinda "winged it" I made large gathers and tacked it down on the inside.... Lemme get some pictures for you.

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

My dear Lily,

Outside:

100_2203.jpg

Inside:

100_2204.jpg

I don't know if I am going to line it or just cover the gathered bits there. I don't know if anyone got any pictures of me wearing it this weekend, but it's nice because I could pull it to cover my eyes from the blowing smoke, or wipe my face.

Salty,

What kind of bonnet are you wearing? I know if you are wearing the wide brimmed straw hat you should be wearing a nice little cap beneath it. I don't mind my caps either. They tend to keep my hair out of my face too which is nice, and as an added bonus when it is hot you dunk the thing in ice water (same goes for the filler!)

Haha. Well, I wear my hat with a ribbon and I just got a hat pin that works remarkably well. I love my hat....

to answer lady brower, tis a wide brimmed flat bonnet rather like yours from what i can tell, will see if i can dig up a portrait of me in it. will try to find the like of the bonnets as well.

Those pancake thin straw hats are remarkably cool and good shade but use caution when near the water ...ocean breezes have a way of trying to make them into sails!

I use a ribbon that has been tacked to the inside of the hat and a hat pin. Having a double chin it looks better than the other way but I suspect that Lady Browers method may be more secure.

Edited by Silkie McDonough

Ah, Salty, then yes, a cap underneath would be proper... But it does make it all the easier if you take the hat off or what have you, you aren't really changing coverings, just altering for changing conditions.

Like I said... I love my hat... It keeps the sun from me tender Irish skin and eyes. and it looks so darn cute! So long as you tack it down well enough you don't have to worry about it flying away, and if it should happen to do so, keep a good looking boy about to chase it!

for me bonnet i just use the ribbon so attached, no pin

now to ask the devils advocate, what about clothes, such as the head scarves many o the lads wear????? tropical climes being what they are. any documantations of lasses wearing such?

Not that I've come across yet... I think that worn like a bandanna (especially with the hair down) would be just plain wrong... But there is the possibility that it could have been twisted in some fashion. But I would imagine this would be the poorest of the poor.... But that is purely speculation. Because as we've seen from sketches and descriptions of even the lower classes and prostitutes, people of the day always tried to emulate the "in" fashions and such....

understood, just figured would ask, since in my daily life i pretty much run around with a headscraf on.

This is the best tutorial coving women's white caps during the "big" 18th century (roughtly 1690-1812)

http://people.csail.mit.edu/sfelshin/BRY2K/making-caps.html

There are endless styles and arrangements of the basic pieces to create different caps. I strongly suggest trying every single cap style you can lay your hands on before deciding on "the one" for you. Some people can pull off a ruffle around the brim, some look great in the long lappets, some perfer a very small cap that only covers the hair but doesn't get too near their face. Caps are a very individual thing. In fact, I've even found that the cap style I loved last year, isn't the one that I love this year. So keep trying, even if you think you've got the perfect cap because you never know!

Chole

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

i am sure tht everyone here is familiar with the painting " the girl with the pearl earring"

is putting ones hair up like that even CLOSE to period correct....???

i could make thousand caps.... no need for directions { but i love the site anyway and read every word}.........how shalli say it?

I LOOK FEREAKING UGLY WITH A CAP ON!!!!!!

someone please tellme where i can get one of those straw pancake hats.......

and stickkla my hair up and wear a straw hat!!!!

ugly in a cap lady constance

and evenworse, at work, when backinthe OR,i am even UGLIER !!

i am sure tht everyone here is familiar with the painting " the girl with the pearl earring"

is putting ones hair up like that even CLOSE to period correct....???

i could make thousand caps.... no need for directions { but i love the site anyway and read every word}.........how shalli say it?

I LOOK FEREAKING UGLY WITH A CAP ON!!!!!!

someone please tellme where i can get one of those straw pancake hats.......

and stickkla my hair up and wear a straw hat!!!!

ugly in a cap lady constance

and evenworse, at work, when backinthe OR,i am even UGLIER !!

Oh, I doubt you could be ugly in anything, Connie!

Well ... if you're portraying a mid-17th century Dutch woman, MAYBE it's correct. Apparently it's thought this may not have been created as a literal portrait and at any rate, it's pretty exotic looking. (but hey! so are pirates!)

Jas. Townsend and several other sutlers have the flat straw hats. Actually, I have one I probably won't get around to wearing. If you want it, I'll give you a good deal on it when you come visit the Santa Maria. (but bad news! it's correct to wear a white cap underneath the straw hat!)

Jenny G,

BRING it and i am sure that we can come to fiscal arrangement that shall please us both....

and i shall try my hand again at posting a pic of a hat that i found at good will long ago-- i THINK it would be fine for this era as it has the same "line" as the linen caps.....

i would however have to spray paint it one color or another as it is black and white check... is

that PC? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

lady constance

...(but bad news! it's correct to wear a white cap underneath the straw hat!)

Aye, the lass is correct, the only time a woman’s head is uncovered is at a formal event or in the bedroom. I hate those caps ...any cap also ...I hate wearing my hair up but between the time in history and the actual heat up the hair goes. I let a few stray curls fall free (mind you strategically chosen stray curls) fall loose around my face.

and i shall try my hand again at posting a pic of a hat that i found at good will long ago-- i THINK it would be fine for this era as it has the same "line" as the linen caps.....

i would however have to spray paint it one color or another as it is black and white check

My dear... A cap only takes about an hour and a scrap of left over (white) linen. With your skills you may as well just whip one up.

On another note... I've been trying to find some cool weather coverings. I am toying with the idea of knitting a cap in this luscious silk yarn I picked up. But I am having a hard time finding any sort of documentation for anything warm other than cloak hoods or heavier linen caps... In my noodle I'm thinking (scary, I know!) that a white wool cap in the same style would be almost indistinguishable from a linen cap in any pictures, and a camelot hood in wool would be quite warm. Perhaps with a knit lining? hmmmm.... thoughts? Has anyone come across any warm and cozies? Documentation is always appreciated. =)