Santa Maria pirate re-enactment weekend

michaelsbagley

Mission is turning into quite a pirate. First he started hostilities at Paynetown, now he's volunteering to be part of the boarding party.

Mark

No! I...I...I'm a surgeon! A forced man. Death to the pirates after I heal them. Right.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No! I...I...I'm a surgeon! A forced man. Death to the pirates after I heal them. Right.

That's what they all say - just before the judge orders them hung.

Mark

Actually, most surgeons got a remarkable amount of leniency in court, although in one account I recall where the surgeon served on a ship for a long time it seemed to depend on how hard the guy tried to escape. (I may be confusing an account of a non-surgeon with a surgeon here...I've read so many such things they are becoming muddled.)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

michael, ever find out about the r-bar allowing minors in on saturday night ??

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you on this. I just got off the phone with the R-Bar's owner/manager.

The short answer is those under the age of 21 will be allowed in the bar.

The longer answer is the bar normally cards at the door only after 9:00 PM, so under usual circumstances minors are allowed in up to that time, and a little past if they were seated before that time... They will be accommodating us regarding this even later for the party night, and are even looking into having passes made for the minors so the minors can show them to indicate that they are a part of the crowd for the night (but NOT allowed to drink!).

We also have Budweiser sponsoring the party, and they will be donating a bunch of beer and sports (probably mostly hockey) related goodies to the cause to raffle off at the party, as well as some piratey flavoured items as well.

I hope no one takes offense if I buy all the raffle tickets to win the hockey tickets... ^_^

We will also be allowed to do a 50/50 draw at the bar for further fund raising, I have an idea I have seen before that works very well, but it will require the ladies to sell the tickets, and to be a bit flirty (and maybe a bit more than that ^_^ ). But I will speak more to that when we are all gathered up in a bit less than two weeks.

Let me know if there are any more questions!

And Mission (the surgeon I must point out!) is the only volunteer to board the ship? Come on, surely there is another brave soul out there? I'd do it myself, but someone has to be on the deck of the ship to be overtaken by the boarding pirates.

Michael_banner.jpg

[quote

I hope no one takes offense if I buy all the raffle tickets to win the hockey tickets... ^_^

typical effin canadian !! ^_^

We will also be allowed to do a 50/50 draw at the bar for further fund raising, I have an idea I have seen before that works very well, but it will require the ladies to sell the tickets, and to be a bit flirty (and maybe a bit more than that ^_^ ). But I will speak more to that when we are all gathered up in a bit less than two weeks.

Let me know if there are any more questions!

And Mission (the surgeon I must point out!) is the only volunteer to board the ship? Come on, surely there is another brave soul out there? I'd do it myself, but someone has to be on the deck of the ship to be overtaken by the boarding pirates.

i'll volunteer for that... selling tickets and the boarding party !! don't wanna brag, but i do look good in a skirt ^_^^_^

I checked the rope ladder over the weekend. It is plenty long enough but anyone trying it will want to practice ahead of time. Also, wear gloves. It's sisal which leaves splinters. I got one just checking it out. It's this style of ladder.

CIMG6751+%28379+x+640%29.jpg

Mark

I checked the rope ladder over the weekend. It is plenty long enough but anyone trying it will want to practice ahead of time. Also, wear gloves. It's sisal which leaves splinters. I got one just checking it out. It's this style of ladder.

CIMG6751+%28379+x+640%29.jpg

Hm. I may wear my non-pc tennies for this bit. That water looked somewhat impure as I recall. I have no inclination to bathe in it.

My vote for the rope climb would be to permit the wearing of modern sneakers for safety if it will make you more comfortable. I'll leave the final decision to Mark though.

On an unrelated note, for those coming, who is showing up Friday? and who on Saturday? Post here or PM me if you prefer...

It's looking like this edition will be bringing a very different crowd, it should be interesting!

Michael_banner.jpg

anybody have a halfway decent periodish axe or boarding axe to sell me at santa maria ??? am in need of one and haven't found one yet to my liking...

if your'e going to be at santa maria and can part with one, lemme know :)

edit--- one that can be used for chopping firewood also... so i guess that might mean a forged one as opposed to a cast one ???

Edited by silas thatcher

Mickey,

callenish, hamish and myself will be there friday night. are donations for the ebay auction still being accepted????

ye ships potter,

salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

cool article!!!

we should be arriving friday we are thinking about 7 pm-ish ohio time......alex when he gets there afer tech school--- and he waid to tell kate her slushie will be a mushie by the time he gets there....LOL....

monster cookies made, brownie bites , onion lovers twist bread and buns,crab dip, ham dip, carrots, celery,apples , pears thus far.......ready to go..

we will see what i can cook up tomorrow......... what is transportable and stays fresh is definitely a hard thing to plan for.... for me anyway.....

and if mission can stand cold veggie patties, there will be those too !!

OHHHHHHHHHHH......and NO ONE says anything about the light pink shirts the men will be wearing... taint enough bleach in the world!!

never NEVER use dylon dye...... it bleeds ALWAYS when you wash it!!!!!!!!ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

cool article!!!

we should be arriving friday we are thinking about 7 pm-ish ohio time......alex when he gets there afer tech school--- and he waid to tell kate her slushie will be a mushie by the time he gets there....LOL....

monster cookies made, brownie bites , onion lovers twist bread and buns,crab dip, ham dip, carrots, celery,apples , pears thus far.......ready to go..

we will see what i can cook up tomorrow......... what is transportable and stays fresh is definitely a hard thing to plan for.... for me anyway.....

and if mission can stand cold veggie patties, there will be those too !!

OHHHHHHHHHHH......and NO ONE says anything about the light pink shirts the men will be wearing... taint enough bleach in the world!!

never NEVER use dylon dye...... it bleeds ALWAYS when you wash it!!!!!!!!ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Remember that there is a wedding rehearsal going on between 7 and 9. I'm not sure when I'll get down there but it will be before the rehearsal ends since I have to arrange to kidnap the bride.

Mark

There is an arts and crafts festival going on at the other side of the River, so those not participating on the kidnapping of the bride will have some entertainment... Well that and the Director of the Arts Festival contacted me today regarding some cross river interplay.... They are very much wanting a visit by the pirates and are willing to help a great deal with advertising for an appearance by some of us.

The arts festival runs Friday evening, Saturday all day and evening, and Sunday until about the same time as the event will end.

For those who remember the arts festival from last year, there is also a floating fire thing going on... If possible the would like to include some pirate into that (pending volunteers)... However, this will be going on at the same time as when the Arghhh-Bar will be getting going.

And as a humourous tie-in.... Isn't this the art festival responsible for Mission's secret alias of Colonial Boy? (or was it colonial man?)

Michael_banner.jpg

Ah, the Arts Festival. That's where someone called me "Colonial Boy."

Interaction between the events is a great promotional idea.

The event went great. Weather was perfect on Saturday. We had two battles where pirates in two boats attacked the ship. Everyone had fun. This was the ships second-highest attendance of the year (right after the last pirate weekend).

There was a (pirate-themed) wedding on the ship after hours so we moved the event to the R Bar (Arrrh Bar) where Mickey held a couple of successful fundraisers.

Saturday had some light rain so we skipped the battles and just let people fire small arms to their hearts' content. It never rained hard, just enough to get things damp.

We are on for next year with one event in mid-May and a second one on Talk Like A Pirate Day weekend.

Thanks to everyone who was there. You were all great.

We had a great time today despite the rain. Trying to steal the canoe with Firefly was fun....was really hoping to see the despair on Michael's face when he noticed his mode of transportation missing.

And yes, the fundraiser was good. We have a TON of tickets because Michael bought like 6 rolls of tickets, so we may have to do it again some time!

I have a bunch of pictures that Miss Maureen took (I didn't touch my camera all weekend except to show Maureen how to use it), and I will try and get them posted tomorrow.

For now though, tis time for bed. Hamish is out like a light and using his new bunny as a pillow, Salty is engrossed in a Fashion in Detail book, Callenish is drinking a glass of milk, and Mickey is passed out like he did some work this weekend. ;)

Banner.jpg