I'm Harboring a Secret Desire...

Mission

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woad is a sort of blue dye that is gotten from flowering yellow plants. There is a rumor that the Picts painted themselves or maybe even tattooed themselves with woad. Then there was a movie where the northern Europeans were savages who painted themselves blue and were actually referred to as 'Woads.' (I do not recall the name of the movie. It was supposed to be a 'more realistic' tale about knights. I give it *** of five, whatever it is called.)

For me, it basically comes down to the fact that woad is a funny word. Woad, woad, woad. And when you combine it with the only hero worth noting in The Watchmen, it has a topical reference that I think is really funny. (We are amused.) Plus it makes Diosa uncomfortable, which is no mean feat. Usually, that happens the other way 'round.

Woad is also an Elmer Fudd-ism, as in "I woad my bike on the woad to school."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hey.... Woad is fun stuff..... I once was the guy down in th' bog at Pensic wot painted women's breast with woad.... great job if ye can get it.... :blink:

Yes...Yes Patrick! Pensic is the place to see woad...painted on just about every inch of someone's body. My brother-in-law has the title of 'the Little Woaden Boy'. I don't know if he is happy with that title or not, but the very word little can make a man who is only 5'2" tall feel very self-conscience.

I know I have a picture of him all 'woaden up'...Gee, I wonder if my sister would let me post it? :blink:B)

The movie that you're looking for Mission is 'King Arthor' - 2004 - a Woad Guinevere (Keira Knightley).

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Worst Jobs in History

Woad dyer

Symbol: Involves urine andor excrement

Welcome to the world of woad – an invasive weed that, with a few simple pieces of equipment, fermented urine and wheat bran, can transform your world. Why not try your hand at woad processing and dyeing and discover a blue tone last used as body paint by the Picts in Roman Britain?

We are reliably informed that a poor sense of smell, or no sense of smell at all, would be a definite advantage in this job, unless you are one of those who find the aroma of cabbage mixed with excrement and cat wee particularly appealing. A desire to live outside the city walls, whence you and all your fellow workers will be banished, would also be a plus. This stuff stinks, but where there's muck, there's brass.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

OK.... woad has a distinct aroma.... We would buy it from the Liminers Guild (or get gifted bags of it), where it came in small blue bundles... then we would crush it very powder fine... At first, we were mixing it with frothed egg whites until Mad Dog (different Mad Dog...) discovered that mixing it with beer worked just as well....

Some people kinda finger painted with it, but I would use a brush and paint Celtic spirals on women's breast, ending at a dot of red ocher (you can guess where that was...) :D

It is suppose to have slight psychoactive properties, but I think that was mostly in peoples minds.... of course, I could drink a lot more and keep a buzz without getting too drunk when woaded....... (and I've run into two people that are allergic to it.. they got a slight rash from the woad)

We did so much woading in camp, that the dirt had a blue tint to it......

That is also where I got my name....as a 4th. century Pict, I was Atrig Bluehand.... the Bluehand part is from working with woad..... I changed it to Patrick Hand when I became a Pyrate......

Ah, yes, Kiera Knightly. Now that I think about it, she was actually the reason I picked up that movie. She looked pretty badass in the stills and I wanted to see if she could actually pull it off.

keira_rage_small.jpg

(Ehh...not so much so...her voice doesn't quite cut it.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 months later...

No no no!! You don't get off that easy!!

If you can get there... you gotta go!! rats is going!!

OK I also have a secret.... This year.... I'm going.... as a ......

Belly Dancer!!!!!

Wow..that sort of leaves me out of the loop for PiP as my stuff is still not PC..*pouts*

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Ah, but you forget. I will be thin and beautiful this year. And I'll be wearing blue paint. (Heck, they do it on Duvall during Fantasy Fest, so it's allowed...sort of...)

Its Key West.

The only people that will look at you funny are the tourists and the people that haven't been here long enough to realize that everyone living on these islands are all a little crazy.

...Some more so than others... Like Crazy Lary or the Pirate guy that sells fish...or the bus stop cross dresser....The list goes on really.

OK I also have a secret.... This year.... I'm going.... as a ......

Belly Dancer!!!!!

My god...you could be the fourth twin! Except, while May and Brig may get into kit for the danse du ventre, Mission will not.

Nope.

Never.

Seriously.

(I don't care what Luther Billis did.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Woad is a sort of blue dye that is gotten from flowering yellow plants. There is a rumor that the Picts painted themselves or maybe even tattooed themselves with woad. Then there was a movie where the northern Europeans were savages who painted themselves blue and were actually referred to as 'Woads.' (I do not recall the name of the movie. It was supposed to be a 'more realistic' tale about knights. I give it *** of five, whatever it is called.)

For me, it basically comes down to the fact that woad is a funny word. Woad, woad, woad. And when you combine it with the only hero worth noting in The Watchmen, it has a topical reference that I think is really funny. (We are amused.) Plus it makes Diosa uncomfortable, which is no mean feat. Usually, that happens the other way 'round.

Woad is also an Elmer Fudd-ism, as in "I woad my bike on the woad to school."

That was te recent movie "King Arthur" with Clive Owen as Arthur.

I thought that was a STUPID thing to do in that flim. They were Picts. Call them that.

Oh, and Woad is what the face paint in Braveheart was supposed to imitate. Though, they didn't use it anymore, just a half millennium out of date . . . and some bizarre belted plaids 300 years too early . . .

Now, back to topic . . .

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Now, back to topic . . .

Wait, wait...there was a topic? All I remember is something about Mission and woad and Rats the Belly Dancer and Captain Sterling saying something about fermented urine and wheat bran and Kate in a leather bodice and a bus stop cross dresser...

Is it time for PiP YET?!

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

Ah, fermented urine.

I refer you to my latest post in Twill:

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=1186...mp;#entry360729

Truly a masterwork of note-taking and recollection, I think.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I stumbled upon THIS today, and thought of Mission.

BTW: does anybody recognize this event?

That would be Cutter from the Blackbeard's Crew (and Pern floating around in the background, don't recognize the lass though), and from the arrangement of tents, I would guess that it might be the Hampton Blackbeard Pirate festival.. Perhaps last years?

Edit - Scrap that, those buildings look like the historic houses at Beaufort where we were camped last year.

Michael_banner.jpg

Yeah, I worked with Cutter last year at Hampton. I loaned him all my amputation stuff and he talked about amputation while I talked about other medical procedures and instruments. He was going to do a leg amputation there, but either he didn't get the chance or I didn't see it. He's a great guy - it was a genuine pleasure to work with him.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg