Sword Restoration

Animal

I came into possession of a sword today. It is rusted in spots (sat in the bed of a pickup for who knows how long) and doesn't have an edge. The guy was going to hang it and another on the wall. I was wondering the best way to clean it and make it more presentable. When I get some photos taken, I'll post them. It is stamped with Spain on one side and Toledo on the other near the hand guard. it has some weight to it.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

... I was wondering the best way to clean it and make it more presentable.

Animal

Send it to me, then stand back and while looking at yer wall just imagine ye be look'n upon a shiny new blade! :unsure:

Seriously thou, good clear close up photos of the damaged areas would be best as if the rust has broken through then restoration will depend greatly on 'how deep' it has gone. Also be sure t' post photos o' th' handle, hilt, and pommel as well as where they join. Naught that I would be best t' answer yer questions but I do know that is what a master smitty is go'n need t' see for proper advise.....THEN put it in a box and ship it t' me! :huh:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

A lot depends on what kind of steel it is, how old it is, and how bad the rust is. It could need anything from careful polishing with rouge to hitting it with a wire wheel. More detail and pics, please.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Ditto what Hawkins said.

Some time ago I found the first hunting knife I ever owned in a forgotten box. It was a mess. A lot of moisture damage - it had been there who knows how long - the stacked leather handle was rotted beyond repair, the blade corroded. I decided to make it a project and fit it with a period wood handle. After some work, wire wheel mainly, the blade reappeared. Looks darn nice now too! Clipped point aint period, but she holds her edge and has a nice worn look to her. Great to whip out for eating steaks when we raid those fancy restaurants!

The biggest concern I would have about your Toledo blade is the quality of the steel. A lot of blades coming out of Spain are made as wall hangers.

Edited by Quartermaster James

Before touching it at all I would try to identify what time period its from. If its old then sometimes you just want to oil it and leave it be. sanding into it can alter the value.

Dont forget some of these pirates here go to far lengths to get an aged look.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Dont forget some of these pirates here go to far lengths to get an aged look.

:P

Dig'n a hole in th' ground 'n fill'n it with salt water (a wee vinegar t' hasten things up a tad) then climbing in with full gear and soak'n for a day 'er two, then have'n someone speed down th' interstate with a pickup truck with ye in th' back t' air dry.....since when tis that "far length"??

Oh, but truly, if the sword be a rare one or one what carries a history, then by "restoring it" could cost it it's true value....

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I beleive that it was made as a wall hanger. As far as I can tell, an edge wasn't put on it. I'm going to get a card reader this weekend and then snap some pics. I'll post them when I figure out how to do it, hopefull by the first of next week.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!