What do you hate in a pirate?

Jib

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yea . . .

THOSE guys . . .

Where is a modern Woodes Rogers when you need one . . .

(Can't believe I'm saying that)

THOSE are pirate I wouldn't mind seeing . . . (let your mind wander)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Eye dislike the association of GAOP pirates to bad behavior...as a stereotype.

Not all got drunk

Not all were murderous nut cases

Not all used foul language

Not all were sexual devients

Not all... You add to the list.... ~

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I don't like the Johnny Depp Clone Army. Even seeing them at costume parties or a

convention gets on my nerves. I am not suggesting that they be stripped of their

citizenship and be crucified. But rounding them them up and placing them into

re-education camps might not be a bad idea. Also, our useless federal government

should be taking steps to see that they do not reproduce or vote in any elections.

I have nothing against Hollywood pirates. As long as portions of their costume are

not made of plastic. And were not purchased from Spencer's Gifts at the mall.

I don't like fake guns. Most of them look like paperweights. I understand that real

weapons are not for everyone. And many events do not allow real weapons. This is

especially true for people residing in the Peoples Republic of California. There are lot

of things you can do with a prop weapon to make it look more realistic. I have painted

up plastic weapons before that looked well enough to freak out LE.

Oh! And bad English accents make my arse hurt.

Anyway that's just my personal opinion.

Residing for the moment in the "people's republic", it has many many faults but black powder weapopns are not under control at this time, only some local areas have powder restrictions. the trouble is when you've got a law enforcement type that eats bagels and does't know the difference between a glock or a musket. But then I've found those in every state, why are they all coming here though.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

I'll say one good thing about The Peoples Republic of California.

Several years ago they adopted a special law for re-enactors transporting

their weapons to and from events (unless it's been repealed by already).

Perhaps I was misinformed. I was under the impression that functional black

powder weapons were not allowed at most (all) pyrate events in California.

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

I am very happy to hear that. Next time I have to visit the Left Coast on business

I will try to schedule it so that I can play pirate.

Let me know capt. I would be happy bto loan you a firelock of your choice.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

When and if I ever see pirate fairies (like the people who wear those fairy wings) I'll complain......... :D

Scary enough there a few that go to the NY Ren Faire and do that fairy thing. I will pluck their wings for you if I see one.

ERIS

You try to pluck my wings and I'll kick your arse. I'm one bitch of a pirate and one bitch of a faerie to boot... If one wants to play fantasy, why should she (or he!) be a fantasy all the way? Now, this of course would not be appropriate at a historical event, but at Faire, a costume party, or playing in the back yard, why not?

If a little kid wants to be a pirate, I don't expect their parents to spend several hundred dollars on period costume... I'm totally cool with people playing with piratical play things from spencers (hehehehe....) or the dollar store... But if you are a big kid and want to reenact, you can't show up with a Jack Sparrow hat from party city and a plastic eyepatch and expect to be taken seriously. lol. But I don't HATE it...

I don't know if I hate anything specific in a pirate but I hate a great many things about people- pirate, faerie, guy in a baseball cap and jeans alike... *shrug*

Sorry, that turned into a mini-rant.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Why do we hate anything about folks who like to play pirate? In the grand scheme of things, people wearing fairy wings with a pirate costume aren't exactly going to upset the balance of the world as we know it.

This is sort of a dumb topic - no matter how it was originally stated - and I'm sorry it got dumped in here. It focuses your attention on things you don't like. There are literally billions of things in the world on which to focus your attention and we're wired such that we can only consciously focus on one at a time. I say focus on things you like rather than those you don't. Otherwise you are choosing to focus on things that make you angry or unhappy, which leads you down the path to other such things and you eventually find yourself upset about all sorts of things. (Our minds are very associative machines.)

So I suggest not bothering with this potential powderkeg topic. If you must come in here and whinge, play nice. (Which goes for folks on both sides of such crucial topics as pirates with fairy wings.) Otherwise this puppy is gettin' shut down before it turns into a flame war. Savvy?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

:D

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

(Iron Bess doesn't like pirates who post silly things. Thus I am almost never on her good side.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mr. Jack, didn't you see, tis not nice to be hating. Love something... Like the idea of kicking the bugga's arse! =)

And I'm sorry I can be a silly "little" thing. Well, no I am not most of the time sorry... But sometimes. :rolleyes: (<---I love that one!)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

This is mostly an SCA thing. But I am not found of people who have a persona

where they were born into Danish royalty, kidnapped by Russians, stolen by gypsies,

ran away to join a traveling troupe of actors, then became pirates that were captured

and sold into slavery by the Spaniards, then they escaped and became Anglo Samurais,

that went on to invent television after they became vampire vegetarian Wiccans that

intermarried with Norse-Klingon acrobats.

Know who I'm talking about?

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Have you seen one too many "Sparrow" at the local Ren Fest? How about the "Hot Topic" pirate wench with the spiked heel boots? Or the cheap dollar store pirate with the plastic hat and boot covers? Dread the pirate who bought the shirt, hat, and cutlass to match his jeans and white high tops?

Now we all love pirates of all types but let's face it... some times you just want to give these blokes a few pointers.

Pirates with bodhrans (flat Irish drums)! No one ever plays them properly and it's really hard to justify having one unless you are an Irish farmer. These were really obscure instruments prior to the 1970s.

Mark

I don't have a problem with pyrates that play modern instruments.

As long as they can play them properly. But I loathe people that

can't sing that insist on wandering into every ones camp to perform.

And get pissy if everyone doesn't stop what they are doing to give

them their full undivided attention.

Edited by CaptainSatan

guns_boobies2.jpg

Does anyone here LIKE Woodes Roger?

- That pirate hunting exiling ****** . . .

(He's the one that took over New Providence and drove off all active pirates, then hunted them down (or had their former coulegues do it for him.)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg