sewing machine recommendations

10 ( ten) layers of canvass?? THat call for a heavy duty professional machine. My Singer ( dont know what model) does 3 -4 layers of medium leather, but needs a helping hand. BUt it does have all the stitch options one could ever wish for.

Good luck, Count the Money ( that's Monet, not money).

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

since i have other projects -- canvas projects for the camper, the saiboat, etc--- i need a heavy duty one.

9 layers of canvas in certain spots is not unusual for alot of items. depending on the chosen hem, reenforcing patches, and whether or not i am folding the side hem back over the first hem, there can easily be 9 layers !!!

as you can guess, this is not for sewing breeches or shirts :lol:

would rather rely on personal recommendations than salesman's hype :)

I highly reccommend the Singer Model 42-5. I have one of them, and it will easily handle 1/2" of heavy belt type leather, plus any canvas work I have ever asked of it. It has a walking foot, and a large flywheel, which allows it to run slowly if needed, and still have plenty of "grunt" to drive the needle through any material. I truly believe that it could sew quarter inch plywood if I wanted to try it !!! It will also do nicely with lighter weight fabrics with a change of needles. It does not have zig-zag capability, but I have never found the need for it.

They can sometimes be found on ebay. I recently stumbled upon one on ebay that I secured for a friend for $150. If you are considering an industrial machine, I think one of the most important features for our purposes is the ability to run slow, which gives you the opportunity to manipulate your project easily while working. These 42-5 machines will also run faster than you can keep up with, if you want, so I find them ideal.

Many industrial machines that become available on the used market are high speed manufacturing machines, and really unsuitable for what most of us do.

>>>>> Cascabel

The Singer Model 42-5 is I believe a very old machine, the parts manual that I was able to see online with a google search showed copyright dates of 1917-1929, so it would be a 'second hand' machine, not something sold on the present Singer lineup. Yard sales and rumage shops would I think be a likly source. Or try your grandmother's attic, I think that is where I got my similar machine

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Yes, indeed, it is a discontinued model....

I'm not 100% sure of production years of the model 42-5, but they probably started production in the 1930's, and probably ceased production in the late 1950's to early 1960's, judging by the appearance of examples I have seen. If properly maintained, these machines will last several lifetimes. Parts and spare bobbins are still readily available from Singer. For pics, here is the one I recently got on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...:MEWN:IT&ih=019

>>>>> Cascabel

I think you will find that the singer 42-5 is a much older machine than the 1930-1950 period, on further checking, it seems the singer 42-5 was an industrial machine intended for leather and canvas work. But I still can't find a definitive span of the years this model was produced.

1918 Singer 42-5

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Nice !!! That particular one is much earlier than the one I have. It uses a round leather belt. Otherwise it is identical to mine, except for the table.

Mine incorporates a modern type "V" belt on the flywheel, as does another of my aquaintance. I don't know when "V" belts became common, but the flywheel with "V" belt groove is original to my machine. And the table is much more modern. The one I found on ebay recently uses the earlier round belt style of pulley. Because of its great utility, I suspect it enjoyed a very long production run.

If you find out the actual years of production, please enlighten us. I never got a reply from Singer regarding this.

>>>> Cascabel

This is an excellent source of information for older machines. There are also user manuals available in pdf format for many older Singer machines. These are great for threading instructions, etc.

There is a surprising availability of spare parts for these old machines from Singer, and obsolete sewing machine parts suppliers. Don't ever reject buying an old industrial Singer for fear of not being able to get parts. These things are like the Energizer Bunny, they keep going, and going, and going......

>>>>> Cascabel

A word of caution about buying sewing machines. Many times on ebay, and other places, machines are advertised as industrial "strength". Usually they are NOT true industrial machines.

Just because they are old, and painted black does not make them industrial machines. Most of the ones advertised as "industrial strength" machines are just old houshold machines. Perfectly good machines, but definitely NOT industrial machines, with industrial capability and power.

A true industrial machine is very much larger, heavier, and more powerful. The easiest way to tell is if the motor is small and attached to the back of the machine, it is a common household machine. Industrial machines use a large motor, (about as big as your head), mounted underneath the table.

>>>>> Cascabel

If multiple layers of canvas are your usual fare, then you may want to just jump in and buy a Sailrite machine. I have a Pfaff and an older Elnita (an Elna copy) what really seems to matter where we play is whether the drive gears are all steel or not....several layers of canvas will make enough drag to make nylon or faced gearteeth 'skip', throwing things slightly out of time. Sailrite makes both straight and zig zag machines. Zig zagging is important if you ever do any sailwork, as it spreads the loads without cutting the stitchline...That said, I don't have one, but wish I did...

Another machine that I have that works well for heavy sewing is the Singer model 29-4. It is also an early machine, but more commonly available on ebay than the 42-5. It is designed to reach inside a sleeve, pocket, or down inside of a boot or shoe. It is also very suitable for flat sewing with the accessory table (which is easy to make, if not included). There were also similar machines made by Durkopp and Adler

These remained in production for a long time, with more recent models designated 29k4, and 29k70. Any of the Singer model 29 series of machines are very similar. There are modern made copies available also. I think Singer ceased production on the model 29's some time ago, but they are used in the shoe repair business even today. The only drawback to these machines is that the bobbin is small.

>>>>> Cascabel

• 3 weeks later...

Bobbins are usually a one size fits all sort of thing. Some take plastic, others take metal.

I know my mom use to have a very old Singer and she used the regular metal bobbins in it.

If they are truly a strange design, then I suggest you contact some sewing stores that specifically work on sewing machines and such. Those people would or should be pretty knowledgeable on bobbins and such.

Bobbins are usually a one size fits all sort of thing. Some take plastic, others take metal.

I know my mom use to have a very old Singer and she used the regular metal bobbins in it.

If they are truly a strange design, then I suggest you contact some sewing stores that specifically work on sewing machines and such. Those people would or should be pretty knowledgeable on bobbins and such.

:ph34r:

Wenches, Wenches!! I think we be speak'n o' sew'n machinery here!!

Now please be tak'n yer fantasy's o' roven ballads t' the appropriate forum now I say!!

Me, Me, me , me...uh um; Mie, Mie, mie, mie...

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

this ones a bugger rue. its a plastic bobbin that has a single wedge shaped groove in the base that advances it. no others will fit. eh- what do you expect from the too good to throw away section at the dump. now i'll have to go back and find another.

Oi Dutchie, is this what yer looking for?

Singer Bobbin - Touch and Sew - 163131

Singer Bobbin - Touch and Sew - 163131

Singer Touch & Sew bobbin. Fits: 600 & 700 series, 1000G, 1040G, 1060, 1411U, 1425U, 290 OEM Part #163131 Only Sold 10 bobbins per pack. This bobbin w... More

In stock

$7.50

No Tax VA

Shipping not included

CLICK HERE

bobbin

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/