The Mercury Crew

William Brand

We need to pick two representatives to go to the daily meetings at the fort for information and instructions, Please see the following thread...

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13506

I believe that any member of our crew would be well suited for this task, so long as they're willing to shoulder the responsibility.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that any member of our crew would be well suited for this task, so long as they're willing to shoulder the responsibility.

...and their name is Jim.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

When it is decided who will be taking this on...

I'd like to tag along for the meetings if that is okay. Being my first year, I really don't think I would be a good choice for being responsible for this, but if my tagging along wouldn't be a disruption, that would be great...

Michael_banner.jpg

...and their name is Jim.

Hey, wait! I'm only one guy! I back-nominate Mission as the second.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

But I'll be happy to go along as well and see what it's all about. (The three amigos.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I vote the nominations cease.

I'll put the three of you down as the representatives. Our group is large enough that three of you might be required, so this works out well. It goes without saying that anyone else may join you three if they wish. The meetings aren't mutually exclusive.

Honestly the safety meeting in the morning should be attended by everyone that wishes to be on the field during the battles or in any of the live action skits (whether they are toting a weapon or not!)... the more people hearing the same thing from the same person at the same time, the safer it is for everyone... instead of a constant game of telephone... he said, she said...

this would also include all the free lancers as well... that way No ONE pulls some crazy stunt no one is expecting when there is powder present or uncovered steel. It also allows every one the chance to contribute with ideas on how they can add to what is going on... add mind you not completely change the entire day's routine... as for evening meetings those can be handled by one or two persons from each crewe... those should be more of discussing what worked and what didn't OR bringing up a potential safety concern that needs to be addressed prior to the next day. (although those should be addressed immediately)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Yes, I would agree. I know that Cascabel, Diosa and some of the cast of the Anne and Mary trial were very pissed about some of the antics going on during the play. Not only was there the knife incident, but talks among some of the re-enactors about rushing the stage and freeing the girls.

First, this is their performance, not ours. We should be respectful and let them do their show for the audience and quit interrupting it.

Second, pirates and villagers of the time would be anxious to have them hung. If someone were stupid enough to yell for their release, they would be hung as well as pirates. In Jamaica at the time, the tide had turned against pirates and toward the plantation owners, who were more than happy to hang this rabble. It cheapens the value of the show to constantly yell louder than the actors can speak and it certainly isn't correct to yell for their release. And it is downright disrepectful to those who work hard on putting something together for PiP.

If you you so desperately want to be in a "show," create one yourself. Don't invite yourself into something you're not asked to be part of.

As for the safety inspections, I know they are all hands for those who want to shoot. I think that should also be the case for anyone wishing to use the fight circle or do any combat. The swords should be inspected as well. Back in the day, I've had several snap off (before learning what a combat sword was) and it could have injured someone. Again, the freelancers are the biggest worry, since they don't answer to anyone in a crewe. To Harry and Nigel yes, thankfully.

I just want us all to be on the same page so we can have fun this year and be safe.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Honestly the safety meeting in the morning should be attended by everyone that wishes to be on the field during the battles or in any of the live action skits (whether they are toting a weapon or not!)... the more people hearing the same thing from the same person at the same time, the safer it is for everyone... instead of a constant game of telephone... he said, she said...

this would also include all the free lancers as well... that way No ONE pulls some crazy stunt no one is expecting when there is powder present or uncovered steel. It also allows every one the chance to contribute with ideas on how they can add to what is going on... add mind you not completely change the entire day's routine... as for evening meetings those can be handled by one or two persons from each crewe... those should be more of discussing what worked and what didn't OR bringing up a potential safety concern that needs to be addressed prior to the next day. (although those should be addressed immediately)

The morning safety meeting is mandatory each day for those wishing to shoot, affiliated or not. I agree with Sterling and think that the safety meeting should be extended to those wishing to be on the field as well. But not attending should not disqualify someone from participating (except for shooting, of course.) The last two years we needed to recruit warm bodies on the way to the scenarios. This willingness to include others on the fly, the openness and acceptance exhibited, is one of the things that makes PiP special. It does pose some risk, of course, but that just means that we have to look out for each other just a little bit more and those in charge of the separate sections of a scenario have to keep their eyes wide open and coordinate with the others so as to leave enough room for the various sub-skits runnning on the field. In short I would be wary of over-regulating things, at least until the gathering gets too big and safety starts to become a bigger issue.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

A also agree. You should post these comments in the thread about representatives as well, for those people who don't read the Mercury Crew thread.

Yes, I would agree. I know that Cascabel, Diosa and some of the cast of the Anne and Mary trial were very pissed about some of the antics going on during the play. Not only was there the knife incident, but talks among some of the re-enactors about rushing the stage and freeing the girls.

First, this is their performance, not ours. We should be respectful and let them do their show for the audience and quit interrupting it.

Second, pirates and villagers of the time would be anxious to have them hung. If someone were stupid enough to yell for their release, they would be hung as well as pirates. In Jamaica at the time, the tide had turned against pirates and toward the plantation owners, who were more than happy to hang this rabble. It cheapens the value of the show to constantly yell louder than the actors can speak and it certainly isn't correct to yell for their release. And it is downright disrepectful to those who work hard on putting something together for PiP.

If you you so desperately want to be in a "show," create one yourself. Don't invite yourself into something you're not asked to be part of.

As for the safety inspections, I know they are all hands for those who want to shoot. I think that should also be the case for anyone wishing to use the fight circle or do any combat. The swords should be inspected as well. Back in the day, I've had several snap off (before learning what a combat sword was) and it could have injured someone. Again, the freelancers are the biggest worry, since they don't answer to anyone in a crewe. To Harry and Nigel yes, thankfully.

I just want us all to be on the same page so we can have fun this year and be safe.

-- Hurricane