Silkies on the Kalmar Nykle

Silkie McDonough

Today I started crew training for the Kalmar Nykle in Wilmington Delaware.

First day was orientation.

* Applications and other paperwork was reviewed, we were given our "Crew Training Manuals"and our pet rope, had ID photos taken, assigned to mentors and toured the grounds and buildings and the ship.

This is "Bert" My pet rope, along with the manual issued today. Bert will be with me all the time so they told us to name it.

100_2177.jpg

Bert seems to be very happy and has not attempted escape. I don't need to keep him on a leash because he is one. :lol:

* They started with the introductions of the paid staff and the "mentors" and experienced volunteers.

* We split at that time into 4 groups. (The entire class is about 60 people strong ranging in age from 14 to ...much older ...I'm thinking at least 70.)

* We went to the office for a session about how things are run, question and answer session and a lesson on the history of the ship.

* Next was lunch. The cook is gooooooood! Salad, 3 soups (Cream of Mushroom, Clam Chowder and Tomato bisque.) He finished off the meal with a tasty 2 inch triangle of dessert (Coconut, pineapple & brown sugar …with a bit of rum to top it off.)

* After lunch we started learning knots.

* Finally we went back into the sail shed (I'll find out the correct name for the building next week) to review a diagram of the ship. We learned the correct names and pronunciation of the part of the ship. Basics: fore, aft, port, starboard, the correct nomenclature for each the masts and the rigging.

* The day was over except for comparing the diagram with the actual ship ...considering the mizzenmast and the bowsprit had been removed for repair ...it was easy enough to identify what was left.

Photos from Day 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, Silkie, how cool. I hope you have lots of fun. Please keep us all posted. I can't wait to hear more of your experience.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Aye it all appeares I am in yar foots steps shadow...

I just became a full member of the San Diego Maritime

Museum ( Star of India ) and will be taking class too..

Luv the pics ya took! :D

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

First class was great. I am looking forward to putting my volunteer hours ...40 required before the first at sail.

I asked about the attrition rate, most stay. THere is something for everyone to do. Some stay and rather than sailing they work in the gift shop or as tour guides. Some are climbers (not me). There is training in the Blacksmith shop ad Carpenters shop. Some may not make it for health reasons. Me, I plan on this being my 2008 weight loss program! :blink:

We take our final exam on 4/5. We have 9 Saturday classes (9:00 AM - 4:30 PM ...I think lunch is a half hour long.) between 1/12 & 4/5. The first "Underway Sail" training for the class is on 4/19.

They are very organized. They have to be. I think there are only 4 paid staff. The State pays for 1/4 of their funding. The remainder of the funding is made during the sailing season when they do 1 hour and 3 hour sails several times a week.

They are really well organized!

I wish our local tall ship was that well organized.

Your group has something for everyone.

Good luck to you Silkie. You have a fantastic opportunity there :)

And the social part will be good too. Not just kids.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Very wicked, Silkie! Lucky gal!

Bert, huh? Not Ty? :lol: Cute name. Careful knot to get too strung up, lass. :angry: :angry: I know... bad joke

Do have fun! :D

~Lady B

:angry:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Sounds like a blast. :(

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy

Waaaaay back when I did my Ordinary Seaman Qualification to Able Seaman (OSQAB for the acronym – all the best Officers come from the ranks I always say) we were all given a 3foot length of line and told to name it and always have it tied around your waist. During the day you were never to be without it. It became a contest who had the oddest name for our lines.

Mine was ‘Sidney the Snake’. It seemed funny at the time. I wish I remembered some of the other names. It was 20years ago.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Well Lineus ...errr Knotya ...hmmm (Still haven't decided on a name for my line ...must not be so important!) Anyway, we had a our second class yesterday.

More knots. I can tie them but I can't recall the names of each ...and then I have to remember which is used for what! I'm glad they take it slowly.

We had a scavenger hunt for the fire extinguishers. many of them

Toured the work shed and learned how to scrape and paint and ...well you get the idea ...the messy stuff. lol

We relearned about mechanical advantage (Yes I know we did this in school) this was much more fun! One of my classmates played tug of war with the remaining 30 or so of us and won. Even as an adult knowing how block and tackle works this was amazing. We also pulled a pallet loaded with 6 or so adults with no trouble ...and ...we started to learn a shanty.

Sails and rigging ...woah ...that is a lot of line! We have yet to learn where each one is belayed.

Thanks for keeping us updated... this is way too cool...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Silkie, you sound like you're having a blast. As for naming your rope, since naming a rope is kind of a corny bit, you night name it after a comedian known for corny bits. You could name it Don...

Wait for it.....

Knotts.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I offered to redo some of the illustrations in the training manual, sent them to the captain and she responded, pleased with the results, telling me to add the time it took to my volunteer hours! Woot ...now ...how long did that take me? :unsure:

Day 3 training. more knots, more rigging, more safety, more belaying ...I think my brain is going to explode!

The previous message was sent to you from the Grand Saloon on the berth of the Kalmar Nyckel. Wish someone was in the Ward Room so I could share this moment. :lol: Even Gmail or YIM. :::sigh:::

Me, I plan on this being my 2008 weight loss program!  :lol:

You've chosen a good one. My friend and Pirate Brethren founding father Jim Rockwell used to sail on her. He told me he lost 60 pounds while aboard. I was like, "Jim, whoa." It was pretty amazing.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.